dünya dinlemiyor - Smiths karoake project by Phil Collins (2005, part 2: Istanbul) on YouTube

Taken from UbuWeb -

"British artist Phil Collins has made work in conflicted geopolitical sites around the world, including Baghdad, Belfast, Bogotá, and Ramallah, creating nuanced representations of people and places. In a departure from much documentary and site-specific practice, Collins engages politics and pop culture in tandem, often soliciting the participation of the communities in which he works. His video installation dünya dinlemiyor (Turkish for "the world won't listen") features young people in Istanbul performing karaoke versions of songs by the 1980s band The Smiths. Within the politically fraught context of Istanbul, The Smiths' melancholic pop takes on new poignancy, asking us to listen to what the rest of the world won't. Collins was a nominee for the 2006 Turner Prize."

Link via post by @claretini / Instagram:

Both hilarious and moving, we watched all of Phil Collins' Dünya Dinlemiyor 2005 - Smiths karaoke in an Istanbul nightclub.

Link posted by I_Am_A_Disco_Dancer:

“If it’s not love…” - X-TRA
Review: Phil Collins: dünya dinlemiyor (the world won’t listen)
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
By Jennifer Wulffson

Related items:

Last edited:
This reminds me of a Smiths night at a bar or a Moz/Smiths convention. I don't know why but those things all seem so sad. I have never related to those events or people yet we all have a love for the music. It must be me?

Taken from UbuWeb -

"British artist Phil Collins has made work in conflicted geopolitical sites around the world, including Baghdad, Belfast, Bogotá, and Ramallah, creating nuanced representations of people and places. In a departure from much documentary and site-specific practice, Collins engages politics and pop culture in tandem, often soliciting the participation of the communities in which he works. His video installation dünya dinlemiyor (Turkish for "the world won't listen") features young people in Istanbul performing karaoke versions of songs by the 1980s band The Smiths. Within the politically fraught context of Istanbul, The Smiths' melancholic pop takes on new poignancy, asking us to listen to what the rest of the world won't. Collins was a nominee for the 2006 Turner Prize."

Link via post by @claretini / Instagram:

Both hilarious and moving, we watched all of Phil Collins' Dünya Dinlemiyor 2005 - Smiths karaoke in an Istanbul nightclub.

Related items:

I adore them all. Some are indeed really funny, but I can feel the love. Unloveable is my favourite (clear!) and Asleep was good, too.

I preferred Phil Collins when he was in Genesis. How has he come to this?

Here's a video that shows a bit of the exhibit with all three parts (Turkey, Colombia, and Indonesia) playing at the same time.

I've found snippets from the Indonesian and Colombian parts but neither in its entirety - I guess only the Turkey one is available on youtube.

This is really sweet with the cutest baby - There is a light (Colombia)

And a review of dünya dinlemiyor

http://x-traonline.org/article/if-its-not-love/

I abhor Phil Collins for so many reasons. His voice is simply awful, and his talent as a drummer is mediocre. He wanted to be an "everyday man" pop hero, then he bawked for a role on "Miami Vice." Truly dreadful. He represents everything cheap and awful about Britain. "In the Air Tonight" is desperate, insincere melodrama at best.

Yes, he sold a lot of records--but then tapped into the Disney capitalist machine. Along the way, he sold out thoroughly. His legacy will be how to force-feed disposable pop music to the masses. He is emotionless and--ultimately--a very poor "actor." His music is trite as a soap opera.

I abhor Phil Collins for so many reasons. His voice is simply awful, and his talent as a drummer is mediocre. He wanted to be an "everyday man" pop hero, then he bawked for a role on "Miami Vice." Truly dreadful. He represents everything cheap and awful about Britain. "In the Air Tonight" is desperate, insincere melodrama at best.

Yes, he sold a lot of records--but then tapped into the Disney capitalist machine. Along the way, he sold out thoroughly. His legacy will be how to force-feed disposable pop music to the masses. He is emotionless and--ultimately--a very poor "actor." His music is trite as a soap opera.

Make sure you've got the right one here.

I adore them all. Some are indeed really funny, but I can feel the love. Unloveable is my favourite (clear!) and Asleep was good, too.
the guy who sang asleep has such pretty eeeeeeeeeeeyyess.
i liked big mouth too, the guy seemed to be really struggling, but at the end he gave such a cute smile. <3

:lbf:

He was good in the Beatles movie, A Hard Day's Night! ;)

the guy who sang asleep has such pretty eeeeeeeeeeeyyess.
i liked big mouth too, the guy seemed to be really struggling, but at the end he gave such a cute smile. <3
He does, I agree. But what struck me was how sincere he sounded and his accent. :)

i did, but only at the part where the boy with the pretty eyes sang asleep. but then, that song will always make me cry, i think. it was in dublin that i had first been to see moz and news of his cancer diagnosis had just come out and i literally thought he was dying--i just discovered him and there it is: he's going to die, just my luck. and so when he sang that song i just started to sob. i was so embarrassed (thankfully it was dark) that i couldnt wipe the tears away for fear someone would notice so i just sat there with the tears streaming down my face. strange the potency of pretty malethings singing asleep...

Isn't it interesting how Phil Collins went from being a musician to being a video artist? Kind of like how Steve McQueen went from being a dead movie star to being the critically-acclaimed filmmaker behind "12 Years a Slave". Or how Engelbert Humperdinck went from being a 19th Century German composer to a 20th Century English pop singer. Some people make interesting career changes!

Isn't it interesting how Phil Collins went from being a musician to being a video artist? Kind of like how Steve McQueen went from being a dead movie star to being the critically-acclaimed filmmaker behind "12 Years a Slave". Or how Engelbert Humperdinck went from being a 19th Century German composer to a 20th Century English pop singer. Some people make interesting career changes!
and let's not forget about anne hathaway who went from being shakespeares wife to being the illegitimate child of audrey hepburn and an eel.
anne hathaway today:
https://kidssearch.com/picsearch/images/eel-pic-1124x1280-a01a4ab.png

so, in other words.. you're a big fan ? no ?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom