David Cameron goaded over The Smiths at Prime Minister's Questions

Sheridan Whiteside

Sweet and Tender Hooligan
Labour MP challenges PM over Morrissey and Johnny Marr

David Cameron has been goaded over his love of The Smiths at Prime Minister's Questions in the House Of Commons today (December 8).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sitAQkQFCBU

The Prime Minister has been criticised in recent days by both Morrissey and Johnny Marr for being a fan of the Manchester band, with the latter saying he forbade Cameron from liking them.

Ahead of tomorrow's controversial vote on raising tuition fees, Cameron was challenged by Labour MP Kerry McCarthy, who mentioned The Smiths in her argument. See Publications.parliament.uk for the full written transcription.

"As someone who claims to be an avid fan of The Smiths, the Prime Minister will no doubt be rather upset this week to hear that both Morrissey and Johnny Marr have banned him from liking them," McCarthy said.

She added: "The Smiths are, of course, the archetypal student band. If he wins tomorrow night's vote, what songs does he think students will be listening to? 'Miserable Lie', 'I Don't Owe You Anything' or 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now'?"

Cameron's response included several Smiths song titles, too.

He said: "I expect that if I turned up I probably wouldn't get 'This Charming Man' and if I went with the Foreign Secretary [William Hague] it would probably be 'William It Was Really Nothing'

http://www.nme.com/news/the-smiths/54176

Last edited:
Labour MP challenges PM over Morrissey and Johnny Marr

David Cameron has been goaded over his love of The Smiths at Prime Minister's Questions in the House Of Commons today (December 8).

Scroll down and click below to watch footage of the incident.

The Prime Minister has been criticised in recent days by both Morrissey and Johnny Marr for being a fan of the Manchester band, with the latter saying he forbade Cameron from liking them.

Ahead of tomorrow's controversial vote on raising tuition fees, Cameron was challenged by Labour MP Kerry McCarthy, who mentioned The Smiths in her argument. See Publications.parliament.uk for the full written transcription.

"As someone who claims to be an avid fan of The Smiths, the Prime Minister will no doubt be rather upset this week to hear that both Morrissey and Johnny Marr have banned him from liking them," McCarthy said.

She added: "The Smiths are, of course, the archetypal student band. If he wins tomorrow night's vote, what songs does he think students will be listening to? 'Miserable Lie', 'I Don't Owe You Anything' or 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now'?"

He said: "I expect that if I turned up I probably wouldn't get 'This Charming Man' and if I went with the Foreign Secretary [William Hague] it would probably be 'William It Was Really Nothing'

http://www.nme.com/news/the-smiths/54176

Truth is stranger than fiction. All this started over a tweet.

Amazing.

Oh my God. :straightface:

I'd pop a boner if I heard American politicians quoting Smiths song titles.

FAO - Not Right In The Head

I love that Sinead O'Connor discography. It's the best I've ever seen on her. Thanks for putting it as a link on here.

she obviously knows more about the smiths than cameron does but i think anyone is entilted to like anyones music, they didnt do that badly out of the thatcher years really did they?

:thumb:

This is absolutely incredible, and... fantastic! Smiths songs thrown around in Parliament as if they were Shakespeare quotes. Surely that counts as some sort of achievement?

cheers

she obviously knows more about the smiths than cameron does but i think anyone is entilted to like anyones music, they didnt do that badly out of the thatcher years really did they?

What, are we still assuming David Cameron is just pretending to like the Smiths? If you really want to go down that road again, how the f*** do you know?

What, are we still assuming David Cameron is just pretending to like the Smiths? If you really want to go down that road again, how the f*** do you know?

she used less well known tracks apart from hkimk, he went straight back to tcm if he was so clever he would have shot her down with a song for the students like, money changes everything or do your best and dont worry or even in the future when alls well.

she used less well known tracks apart from hkimk, he went straight back to tcm if he was so clever he would have shot her down with a song for the students like, money changes everything or do your best and dont worry or even in the future when alls well.

You are joking, right? Please say you are.

British politics are so much cooler than ours :eek:
the closest we get to this kind of collion between government and music is when rednecks banned the Dixie Chicks :rolleyes:

British politics are so much cooler than ours :eek:
the closest we get to this kind of collion between government and music is when rednecks banned the Dixie Chicks :rolleyes:

everything in britain is cooler than america, always has bin cocka.

I knew this was gonna happen someday..
soon, lol

I like this exchange very much, but I suspect Morrissey will be clicking his heels more than any of us.

P.

:D There's hope yet! This could run on and on; fingers crossed! :guitar:

Does this have implications for the next edition of the Oxford English Dictionary?!:lbf:

Back
Top Bottom