@davidt you are full of shit

Oh, but you must keep the faith. It is there, it just gets trampled down with the daily grind and online knobbery.
My Excellent Friend Peppermint,
If I may elaborate.
When people speak of 'Human Nature' they are usually referring to behaviour that they believe is fundamentally and inescapably what we are.
It is almost always used to excuse bad behaviour.
I can't go along with this.
People are good, bad and whatever else.
Who knows what is hard wired into us (if anything)?

My Excellent Friend Peppermint,
If I may elaborate.
When people speak of 'Human Nature' they are usually referring to behaviour that they believe is fundamentally and inescapably what we are.
It is almost always used to excuse bad behaviour.
I can't go along with this.
People are good, bad and whatever else.
Who knows what is hard wired into us (if anything)?
My dear PB, that's a very interesting viewpoint that I hadn't considered. I suppose I was referring to the indomitable human spirit that's a force for good - the sort that brings random acts of kindness from strangers, or people to pull together and help each other in the face of adversity. When we lose faith in that, we've lost faith in life. I do think it's in all of us, if we choose to use it.

It isn't cool. It's cold(hearted).
Countthree, can I ask, am I right in thinking English is not your first language? And if it isn't, are you familiar with the phrase 'flogging a dead horse'? I am just curious because I wonder if that is causing some of the upset. To me it's so familiar that I didn't 'read' the picture, I read the meaning behind it, and found it amusing. I'm pretty sure it will be the same for others. But perhaps if you're not familiar with the idiom it might at first look shocking. Just wondering.

My dear PB, that's a very interesting viewpoint that I hadn't considered. I suppose I was referring to the indomitable human spirit that's a force for good - the sort that brings random acts of kindness from strangers, or people to pull together and help each other in the face of adversity. When we lose faith in that, we've lost faith in life. I do think it's in all of us, if we choose to use it.
Hi Peppermint,
It may be a contradiction on my part but I am a very firm believer in human kindness.
I think there is more of it around than we know.
It's just that violence and general all nastiness is louder.

Hi Peppermint,
It may be a contradiction on my part but I am a very firm believer in human kindness.
I think there is more of it around than we know.
It's just that violence and general all nastiness is louder.
Louder, but not necessarily stronger. I did some work once on a community project. It was on this estate which had been effectively abandoned by the police. There were bricks going through people's windows, and the local youths would steal cars and set fire to them several times a week. There was a piece of waste land - a horrible place were nobody went - that was going to be bought up by the council so they could put a fast track bus route through it. But the community came together and said no, you've taken everything else off us, you're not having that as well. So they put in for funding for a scheme I was working for to buy the land and convert it to a community green space. One woman in her 60s led the campaign, and she was fearless. She kept going to talk to the thuggish youths, drawing them in, involving them in the project. She never gave up on them. And what happened was, over time, they opened up. They drew their horns in. They even got involved with the fundraising. On the day the green was launched, the same boys who had been burning cars were running the barbecue! And they were still there, hours later, in the rain, helping to take the tents down. It was such an inspiring story that I've never forgotten it and it did make me think about the strength of 'goodness', for want of a better word. The trouble is, it takes a lot of effort sometimes, and courage, too.

Louder, but not necessarily stronger. I did some work once on a community project. It was on this estate which had been effectively abandoned by the police. There were bricks going through people's windows, and the local youths would steal cars and set fire to them several times a week. There was a piece of waste land - a horrible place were nobody went - that was going to be bought up by the council so they could put a fast track bus route through it. But the community came together and said no, you've taken everything else off us, you're not having that as well. So they put in for funding for a scheme I was working for to buy the land and convert it to a community green space. One woman in her 60s led the campaign, and she was fearless. She kept going to talk to the thuggish youths, drawing them in, involving them in the project. She never gave up on them. And what happened was, over time, they opened up. They drew their horns in. They even got involved with the fundraising. On the day the green was launched, the same boys who had been burning cars were running the barbecue! And they were still there, hours later, in the rain, helping to take the tents down. It was such an inspiring story that I've never forgotten it and it did make me think about the strength of 'goodness', for want of a better word. The trouble is, it takes a lot of effort sometimes, and courage, too.

Topic is:

@davidt you are full of shit

That's a great story.
Also indicates what an interesting chap you are.

It isn't cool. It's cold(hearted).
The horse is cold. Because it's dead. And not real. And used as a metaphor. And if that's offensive, then I obviously need to watch it because my sense of humor runs blacker than a drawing of a metaphor.

Back
Top Bottom