Did Polydor sign Morrissey or was he given to them?

Emotional Guide Dog

Chairman Of The Bored
I've never started a thread on 'general discussion' before but there's something that's been bothering me:

I had it from a reliable source (and not just Wikipedia) that Decca didn't actually sign Morrissey. He had a contract with Sanctuary & when Universal took over, they simply transferred the artists they wanted over to one of the Universal labels.

Do we think that's why they aren't doing a very good job promotion wise? Are they just not bothered?
Does anyone know how many albums Moz signed to Sanctuary for? Quarry, Live At Earls Court, ROTT, The Greatest Hits & then YOR. That's five albums, he hasn't been with a label that long since EMI has he?

I'm rambling now, what I'd like is confirmation that I'm right from a more reliable source than mine.

Thinking about it, Belle & Sebastian haven't released an album for a while. Rough Trade was owned by Sanctuary, did Universal not want them?

Re: Belle and Sebastian

New album of B&S 'God Help The Girl' will be released 22nd June.
Stuart got married last year, took some time off.
If you're signed to their official site, you get newsletters which is very useful.

Last edited:

If you're signed to their official site, you get newsletters which is very useful.

way to ignore the questions about Morrissey

its not actually a belle and sebastian album , its stuarts own album

belle and sebastian are still signed to rough trade and are currently having babies , stevie jackson has also been recording and album , which wil be a corker

chris and richard are both djing ....

I can take or leave (and will probably leave) God Help The Girl but I'd queue outside HMV overnight for a Stevie Jackson solo album.
Maybe he's finally making that Motown album that you can tell he really really wants to make.

Back
Top Bottom