Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Wtf?

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
I like his music. A lot. But I don't love him. I don't know him! If you "love" someone you have never even met, you don't know what love is, in my opinion.

I like his music. A lot. But I don't love him. I don't know him! If you "love" someone you have never even met, you don't know what love is, in my opinion.

It depends what you're restricting the definition of 'love' to. Obviously it's not a romantic love, or one you have for your friends and family, etc etc, but if you widen the definition to that of most dictionaries, you'll find there is some grounding in many people saying that they 'love' Morrissey.

Verb
to love (third-person singular simple present loves, present participle loving, simple past and past participle loved)
(transitive) To have a strong affection for.
I love my spouse.
I love you.
(transitive) To need, thrive on.
Mold loves moist, dark places.
(transitive, colloquial) To be strongly inclined towards something; an emphatic form of like.
I love walking barefoot on wet grass.
I'd love to join the team.
(transitive) To care deeply about.
"You shall love the Lord your God with your whole heart, and your whole mind, and your whole soul; you shall love your neighbor as yourself." (Matt. 22:37-38)
(transitive) To lust for.

(Wiktionary)

It depends what you're restricting the definition of 'love' to. Obviously it's not a romantic love, or one you have for your friends and family, etc etc, but if you widen the definition to that of most dictionaries, you'll find there is some grounding in many people saying that they 'love' Morrissey.

Verb
to love (third-person singular simple present loves, present participle loving, simple past and past participle loved)
(transitive) To have a strong affection for.
I love my spouse.
I love you.
(transitive) To need, thrive on.
Mold loves moist, dark places.
(transitive, colloquial) To be strongly inclined towards something; an emphatic form of like.
I love walking barefoot on wet grass.
I'd love to join the team.
(transitive) To care deeply about.
"You shall love the Lord your God with your whole heart, and your whole mind, and your whole soul; you shall love your neighbor as yourself." (Matt. 22:37-38)
(transitive) To lust for.

(Wiktionary)

But you didn't make it clear what definition of 'love' you were referring to. If you asked, "Do you love listening to Morrissey?" I'd have said yes, but "Do you love Morrissey?" implies that you are referring to the in love type of love. Which I am not. If that makes sense :confused:

But you didn't make it clear what definition of 'love' you were referring to. If you asked, "Do you love listening to Morrissey?" I'd have said yes, but "Do you love Morrissey?" implies that you are referring to the in love type of love. Which I am not. If that makes sense :confused:

But those are only the basic definitions, there are many shades of grey inbetween, some stronger than others and some applicable to people you don't know. There's a difference between being in love and feeling a deep like or affection for somebody, whether it be somebody you know and are very fond of or the person a public figure seems to be, and what they represent.

Welcome to Solo, by the way. :)

But those are only the basic definitions, there are many shades of grey inbetween, some stronger than others and some applicable to people you don't know. There's a difference between being in love and feeling a deep like or affection for somebody, whether it be somebody you know and are very fond of or the person a public figure seems to be, and what they represent.

Welcome to Solo, by the way. :)

Thanks. :)

I won't pretend to completely understand your point, or agree with it, but that's what opinions are for! Thanks for answering, btw.

Would you love Morrissey and would he mean so much if he wasn't as good looking as he is?

Would you love Morrissey and would he mean so much if he wasn't as good looking as he is?

:lbf: You win!!

That is the question of the day. Worthy of its own thread!

I'm sure we'd all like to think that we would "love" him just as much, but let's face it; there probably wouldn't be a frink thread (and everything that goes along with it) if he was ugly.

Love him? No, not in the biblical sense!
Would I do rude things to him? Hell, yeah! Frinky man he is!!

If you feel it, then love is real. There is no definition.

I'm sure we'd all like to think that we would "love" him just as much, but let's face it; there probably wouldn't be a frink thread (and everything that goes along with it) if he was ugly.

Maybe he has a hideously grotesque alterego twin he keeps hidden under his bed who whispers the lyrics to him in his sleep. :p He brings back scraps for him from his excursions to the Cat & Fiddle and swanky thirty mile zone restaurants. :D

I like you're honesty :lbf:

So you admit that certain people (mainly female) are into Morrissey more because of his looks rather than his music, personality etc.

True. But yes, he'd still mean as much to me if he wasn't good-looking. That's just a bonus really. :p

I don't believe you but ok :D

I like you're honesty :lbf:

So you admit that certain people (mainly female) are into Morrissey more because of his looks rather than his music, personality etc.

I wouldn't say it that way.
It is most definitely his music first for me; and if I had to guess, I'd say that most people feel that way.

His looks are just an added bonus.

Tags
love
Back
Top Bottom