Does anyone here think Speedway is about Johnny Marr?

I think it's a character song. Probably inspired by Oscar Wilde. Though Morrissey probably wrote it because he identifies with the character.

Though it could be having a pointed dig at Marr because by then Marr had convinced everyone that the break up was totally Morrissey's fault.

Last edited:
:confused: :D

also, when I typed in "Speedway lyrics" I was shocked and ashamed to discover that the fricken Counting Crows have a song with that title.

anyway, the "Slam down the hammer" part could be about a judge but I think it's just someone who is judge-mental. Sort of like the person that he is thinking of when he sings

"On the day that your mentality
Catches up with your biology"

or

"But no more apologies
No more, no more apologies
Oh, I'm too tired
I'm so sick and tired
And I'm feeling very sick and ill today
But I'm still fond of you, oh-ho-oh "

but then I think I understand every song and 98% of them are about wanting the one that doesn't want him back, at least in The Smiths.

And when you slam
Down the hammer
Can you see it in your heart ?
All of the rumours
Keeping me grounded
I never said, I never said that they were
Completely unfounded

So when you slam
Down the hammer
Can you see it in your heart ?
Can you delve so low ?
And when youre standing
On my fingers
Can you see it in your heart ? ... ah ...
And when you try
To break my spirit
It wont work
Because theres nothing left to break
Anymore
All of the rumours
Keeping me grounded
Completely unfounded

You wont sleep
Until the earth that wants me
Finally has me
Oh youve done it now
You wont rest
Until the hearse that becomes me
Finally takes me
Oh youve done it now
And you wont smile
Until my loving mouth
Is shut good and proper
Forever

All of the rumours
Keeping me grounded
Completely unfounded
And all those lies
Written lies, twisted lies
Well, they werent lies
They werent lies
They werent lies

I never said
I never said
I could have mentioned your name
I could have dragged you in
Guilt by implication
By association
Ive always been true to you
In my own strange way
Ive always been true to you
In my own sick way
Ill always stay true to you

To me this song is about an affair that may have actually gotten somewhere until the object of his affection had a change of heart, or actually more like a change of mind.

The rumours are those same old rumours and he never said, he never said...etc,

and he's telling this person "I don't owe you anything, but you owe me something" because he kept this person from being scandalized or made the subject of the same rumours that Morrissey is the subject of.

So my weaknesses in interpreting Morrissey's lyrics are that, to me there are no characters, maybe one or two songs, but all the rest is him singing as himself, and it's all true and directly from his life, and it's all about being in love or lusting after someone that either doesn't feel the same or hides that they do for some reason.

Could be about Johnny, or not. But I do agree with you that it's about a love affair or relationship. Or even a friendship. Something happens, the other person calls it off. M. feels betrayed and thinks the other person enjoys his suffering. Still, he doesn't talk about it, he keeps the secret for themselves.

Wasn't Speedway a movie with Elvis and Nancy Sinatra? I haven't seen it yet, so I have no idea if that is relevant.

So my weaknesses in interpreting Morrissey's lyrics are that, to me there are no characters, maybe one or two songs, but all the rest is him singing as himself, and it's all true and directly from his life, and it's all about being in love or lusting after someone that either doesn't feel the same or hides that they do for some reason.

That's how I interpret them too, and it's really hard for me to think of his songs in any other way. I totally agree with you on the theme of loving someone who doesn't love you back... I absolutely always interpret those songs as Morrissey singing about his life and what has happened to him.

I started reading the new Meetings With Morrissey book, and I'm slowly coming around to the idea that he writes with Oscar Wilde in mind as the character in songs occasionally. Still though, I think he sees so much of Oscar Wilde in himself, I think it's just as likely he's got himself in mind at the same time.

That's how I interpret them too, and it's really hard for me to think of his songs in any other way. I totally agree with you on the theme of loving someone who doesn't love you back... I absolutely always interpret those songs as Morrissey singing about his life and what has happened to him.

I started reading the new Meetings With Morrissey book, and I'm slowly coming around to the idea that he writes with Oscar Wilde in mind as the character in songs occasionally. Still though, I think he sees so much of Oscar Wilde in himself, I think it's just as likely he's got himself in mind at the same time.

Thank you. I feel validated. :D

I've always thought it was about the press judging and criticising him and with particular reference to the racist allegations made by the NME.

Yes I agree. That's how I remember it at the time, too. His verbal assault “All those Lies! Written Lies! Twisted Lies” seems to be directed towards the NME after the “Madstock” affair ... but with a classic Morrissey twist when he closes with “they weren’t lies, they weren’t lies” just to muddy the waters a little.
At the time he was enjoying a very fruitful musical collaboration with Alain and Boz and I doubt if Johnny was much on his mind at all. If he was dwelling on any losses just then it would have been that of both close friend and producer, Mick Ronson, and his manager Nigel Thomas.

Tags
wrong
Back
Top Bottom