Does anyone know if Morrissey has religion?

Now, do you mean 'Camp Catholic ' in the sense of the One True Tent...

Or rather more in the sense of...

...?

:unsure:
I was thinking in the sense of the latter, like this:

37149_oyarzun.jpg

IHFJ and the priest outfit was nearly 20 years ago. I get the feeling he has become more religious in recent years. I thought it was overwhelmingly apparent when his mother was dying.
Many people look to a 'higher power' for support when they're going through bad times, especially facing mortality. Totally human and understandable, but it doesn't make him religious.

Many people look to a 'higher power' for support when they're going through bad times, especially facing mortality. Totally human and understandable, but it doesn't make him religious.
It felt like more than that. I’m not saying he is religious (how would I or you or anyone else here know for certain?), I’m just saying I get the feeling he has become more religious as he’s gotten older. Don’t think it’s that strange or inexplicable.

Acho que ele aceita algumas partes da Bíblia como todo mundo, mas não acredita. Um agnóstico.

Last edited:
It felt like more than that. I’m not saying he is religious (how would I or you or anyone else here know for certain?), I’m just saying I get the feeling he has become more religious as he’s gotten older. Don’t think it’s that strange or inexplicable.

Yeah, sure. As one ages, most people think more about death.

During his mother’s illness, he asked for fans to offer their help by praying for her ...

“...to offer their prayers for Elizabeth - for she is all I have, and our collective pleas of petition might wake the sleeping gods.”

So if he does have religion, then his belief seems to be a belief in more than just one god, which isn’t very catholic.

Yeah, sure. As one ages, most people think more about death.

During his mother’s illness, he asked for fans to offer their help by praying for her ...

“...to offer their prayers for Elizabeth - for she is all I have, and our collective pleas of petition might wake the sleeping gods.”

So if he does have religion, then his belief seems to be a belief in more than just one god, which isn’t very catholic.
I felt that was just something he said, not to be taken literally. And he did sign it Steven Patrick Francis Morrissey. Using one’s catholic confirmation name feels quite catholic

I felt that was just something he said, not to be taken literally. And he did sign it Steven Patrick Francis Morrissey. Using one’s catholic confirmation name feels quite catholic

probably just something he included. not to be taken seriously

probably just something he included. not to be taken seriously
Constructive and insightful, as always.

Anyway, I sincerely doubt he would identify as atheist or even agnostic, but until he tells it like it is, none of us will know for sure. Not even you, Ketamine Sun.

Constructive and insightful, as always.

Anyway, I sincerely doubt he would identify as atheist or even agnostic, but until he tells it like it is, none of us will know for sure. Not even you, Ketamine Sun.

born-again atheist practicing trouble maker

;)

That was a passing comment.

He was back to being an atheist as of March last year.
I remember Morrissey made a passing comment on stage once that he didn't care if he went to Hell. I don't know if he truly believes that Heaven and Hell are real places.

I think most people know he was brought up Roman Catholic. Morrissey also has an interest in Hinduism and New Age.

In the media and on TV, films and even some music, musical theatre, entertainment, books and computer games I see a lot of mocking God and Christianity. I think part of the trouble is people don't think it is 'cool' to be a Christian. I think it would be very difficult to be in the music industry and be a true Christian maybe only Sir Cliff Richard achieved both! People point out Freemasonry symbolism in music videos and on album cover artwork and so on I noticed this on David Bowie's stuff.

The universe had a beginning. That's a tough one to discount without....something. Is Moz religious? If it gives him peace I hope so. I used to be religious. I sometimes envy those who are.

Not sure what to make of this video. It's frightening in places especially the stigmata photos. Didn't know the nails was part of stuff to do with Satan. Does this mean that very famous and rich celebrities are secret Freemasons? Even the female A-list celebrities.

I heard him say it.
Do you know Morrissey personally? Did he talk to you directly about his spiritual and religious beliefs?

When his mother was very ill Morrissey was asking people to pray for her. An atheist wouldn't do that. Morrissey was brought up Roman Catholic but he also has interest in Hinduism and the New Age which was why he said "gods" not one God. I think he said something in Sanskrit.

Did you watch the two videos above? I find the them frightening and a bit disturbing. They say that it's Freemasonry symbolism which they use in Hollywood.

Do you know Morrissey personally? Did he talk to you directly about his spiritual and religious beliefs?

When his mother was very ill Morrissey was asking people to pray for her. An atheist wouldn't do that. Morrissey was brought up Roman Catholic but he also has interest in Hinduism and the New Age which was why he said "gods" not one God. I think he said something in Sanskrit.

Did you watch the two videos above? I find the them frightening and a bit disturbing. They say that it's Freemasonry symbolism which they use in Hollywood.

All we have to go on is his public statements - which are contrary.

What he believes in the privacy of his own mind is his business.

I doubt there's any kind of plot going on - careers in the arts are very precarious, so nearly everyone faffs around with their equivalent of a Magic Feather.

Side Note: I found this book 👇 useful if anyone on here is struggling with a creative project.

20210321_013223.jpg

All we have to go on is his public statements - which are contrary.

What he believes in the privacy of his own mind is his business.

I doubt there's any kind of plot going on - careers in the arts are very precarious, so nearly everyone faffs around with their equivalent of a Magic Feather.

Side Note: I found this book 👇 useful if anyone on here is struggling with a creative project.

View attachment 69896
Please see the lyrics of Morrissey's songs. Please watch Morrissey's official music videos. Please see Morrissey's official photo shoots that have been used for posters, in magazines and used for Morrissey's album artwork. Please looks at Morrissey's promotional material and merchandise. Please see Morrissey's interviews and his books that he wrote himself. This should give you some idea of Morrissey's spiritual and religious beliefs.

Please see this video:

This is what Morrissey said about his beloved mother when she was seriously ill: "- for she is all I have, and our collective pleas of petition might wake the sleeping gods. She is me, and without her vahaan koee kal hal … there is no tomorrow. I ask no more of you… for there could be no more to ask." Steven Patrick Francis Morrissey. 8th August 2020.

Music credits: Gavin Bryars - "Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet" (1975)

Gavin Bryars with Tom Waits ‎- "Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet":

One of the 20th century’s great musical works does the same for spiritual hunger. Gavin Bryars’ Jesus’ Blood Never Failed Me Yet takes a rejected fragment of audio from a film project about people living rough in London and turns it into a work of metaphysical yearning.

Many of the rough sleepers that the film-maker Alan Power was documenting in the Elephant and Castle district of south London (where Charlie Chaplin grew up amid poverty and sickness) were alcoholic. On camera they sang half-remembered splinters of folk and pop songs, sentimental ballads, bits of opera. Only one didn’t drink. He was an elderly man, as far as anyone remembers, for no footage of him survived – just a 26-second recording of him singing, in impressively consistent tuning, a fragment of what sounds like an old evangelical hymn, “Jesus’ blood never failed me yet…” He seems like a figure who could quite easily have stepped out of the pages of Mayhew.

Gavin Bryars was already deeply interested in using “found material”. He spent significant time away from composition, studying the work of Marcel Duchamp, whose “readymades” are key works of high modernism, and he had already experimented with found material in the 1969 indeterminate piece The Sinking of the Titanic.

Along with Jesus’ Blood, it has remained in Bryars’ performance repertory to this day. Jesus’ Blood originally occupied one side of an LP but it has also appeared in a new version on CD at considerably more than an hour; and it has also seen life as a single, with the original voice doubled by the latter-day troubadour of America’s underclass, Tom Waits. With each iteration, the piece evolves, but it never loses the profound emotional power of its source material.

The story of how a small fragment of unwanted audio came to be one of the most celebrated musical works of recent times is a complex one. Bryars had been working with Power, not on the original shoot – he never met the old man on the recording – but as a mixer and editor. By way of thanks, Power gave him some of the tape reels, which were expensive in 1971. As a boy brought up in the low-church tradition and familiar with many hymns and religious songs, Bryars was immediately intrigued by the words and melody of Jesus’ Blood, and was drawn to the voice, which has an almost trained quality, beautifully phrased and consistently pitched.

For more info see link: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...-jesus-blood-never-failed-me-yet-gavin-bryars

Please see the lyrics of Morrissey's songs. Please watch Morrissey's official music videos. Please see Morrissey's official photo shoots that have been used for posters, in magazines and used for Morrissey's album artwork. Please looks at Morrissey's promotional material and merchandise. Please see Morrissey's interviews and his books that he wrote himself. This should give you some idea of Morrissey's spiritual and religious beliefs.

Please see this video:

This is what Morrissey said about his beloved mother when she was seriously ill: "- for she is all I have, and our collective pleas of petition might wake the sleeping gods. She is me, and without her vahaan koee kal hal … there is no tomorrow. I ask no more of you… for there could be no more to ask." Steven Patrick Francis Morrissey. 8th August 2020.

Music credits: Gavin Bryars - "Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet" (1975)

Gavin Bryars with Tom Waits ‎- "Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet":

One of the 20th century’s great musical works does the same for spiritual hunger. Gavin Bryars’ Jesus’ Blood Never Failed Me Yet takes a rejected fragment of audio from a film project about people living rough in London and turns it into a work of metaphysical yearning.

Many of the rough sleepers that the film-maker Alan Power was documenting in the Elephant and Castle district of south London (where Charlie Chaplin grew up amid poverty and sickness) were alcoholic. On camera they sang half-remembered splinters of folk and pop songs, sentimental ballads, bits of opera. Only one didn’t drink. He was an elderly man, as far as anyone remembers, for no footage of him survived – just a 26-second recording of him singing, in impressively consistent tuning, a fragment of what sounds like an old evangelical hymn, “Jesus’ blood never failed me yet…” He seems like a figure who could quite easily have stepped out of the pages of Mayhew.

Gavin Bryars was already deeply interested in using “found material”. He spent significant time away from composition, studying the work of Marcel Duchamp, whose “readymades” are key works of high modernism, and he had already experimented with found material in the 1969 indeterminate piece The Sinking of the Titanic.

Along with Jesus’ Blood, it has remained in Bryars’ performance repertory to this day. Jesus’ Blood originally occupied one side of an LP but it has also appeared in a new version on CD at considerably more than an hour; and it has also seen life as a single, with the original voice doubled by the latter-day troubadour of America’s underclass, Tom Waits. With each iteration, the piece evolves, but it never loses the profound emotional power of its source material.

The story of how a small fragment of unwanted audio came to be one of the most celebrated musical works of recent times is a complex one. Bryars had been working with Power, not on the original shoot – he never met the old man on the recording – but as a mixer and editor. By way of thanks, Power gave him some of the tape reels, which were expensive in 1971. As a boy brought up in the low-church tradition and familiar with many hymns and religious songs, Bryars was immediately intrigued by the words and melody of Jesus’ Blood, and was drawn to the voice, which has an almost trained quality, beautifully phrased and consistently pitched.

For more info see link: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...-jesus-blood-never-failed-me-yet-gavin-bryars

He was raised Catholic - it never leaves you. So I expect in times of crisis he naturally goes back to God.

Outwith that he seems quite complicated.

Back
Top Bottom