Does Morrissey need a new sound

Re: Does Morrissey needs a new sound

It received more airplay in the US than any Morrissey single since the 90's, I would estimate.

Naw. "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" is on the air in every mall and grocery store in America. As we speak. That's a win if you're counting minutes.

I'd love if will go more "Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning"... a more acoustic, haunting sort of sound... With new instruments... I always though Arcade Fire could be a good backing band... If you see what I mean...

Art songs. Yes. I'd like to hear them, too.

Naw. "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" is on the air in every mall and grocery store in America. As we speak.

I've read about, and I've heard Morrissey asked about, its ubiquity in the UK. But I've never heard it anywhere here in the US, not even once.

I've read about, and I've heard Morrissey asked about, its ubiquity in the UK. But I've never heard it anywhere here in the US, not even once.

I stepped out of an Old Navy in Indianapolis this weekend to hear it being broadcast over the speakers of an open-air mall.

It's inevitable, the grocery stores have been playing The Cure and REM for years now. I can't parse how I feel about that.

You know, I’m getting a bit f***ing sick fed up of the criticism that some of you c***s give to Morrissey and even to The Smiths on here!

For f*** sake you’re either fans or your not.

All I seem to read is the same old crap about some c***s who automatically discard Kill Uncle.

Other c***s who discard Southpaw Grammar/Maladjusted.

c***s who don’t like the 2004 onwards stuff.

c***s who don’t like the early Morrissey.

Then as I say there’s even the criticism of The Smiths.

c***s who don’t like the stuff before The Queen Is Dead.

c***s who don’t like Strangeways Here We Come.

Honestly, there must be some c***s on here who only listen to Louder Than Bombs and Vauxhall & I, and they think they’re big fans.

Me, I love it all, from the first Smiths to the last Morrissey.

Whatever Morrissey does next will be fabulous, as is everything he has done before.

I could not name one Smiths song that I do not love, simply because The Smiths just did not do any bad songs.

The Smiths were simply the greatest band there has ever been, any c***s who do not agree, get the f*** off this site and leave it to the real fans.

:mad::mad::mad:

You are obviously a very Junior Member.

cheers

The big-guitar bombast phase was great fun, but now Morrissey needs to play to his more mature strengths. Even though things aren't looking particularly good for him right now, I still think there's a grand 4th act in there somewhere.

He already found his new sound, and he nailed it with My Dearest Love. Gustavo Santaollala treated Morrissey like an adult, and brought out that torchy, dramatic quality that I think is his strongest suit as an artist these days. The reason Paris has done so well is because it captures that sound. An album of swooning melodies, sophisticated arrangements and the occasional string section would not be amiss. Lyrics to match would put him back over the top.

Morrissey doesn't need to reinvent himself, he needs to capitalize on that sense of sophistication and world-weary elegance that so many photographers seem to capture. And it doesn't mean he has to surrender his post-punk cred and go the easy-listening/adult-radio route. Some of the most subversive, urgent music these days is being played on a piano or a violin.

So that's my worthless two cents: great songwriting, sophisticated arrangements and production, soaring vocals, brilliant lyrics and a healthy dose of Morrissey's patented emotional complexity - what could be simpler than that? :rolleyes:

The big-guitar bombast phase was great fun, but now Morrissey needs to play to his more mature strengths. Even though things aren't looking particularly good for him right now, I still think there's a grand 4th act in there somewhere.

He already found his new sound, and he nailed it with My Dearest Love. Gustavo Santaollala treated Morrissey like an adult, and brought out that torchy, dramatic quality that I think is his strongest suit as an artist these days. The reason Paris has done so well is because it captures that sound. An album of swooning melodies, sophisticated arrangements and the occasional string section would not be amiss. Lyrics to match would put him back over the top.

Morrissey doesn't need to reinvent himself, he needs to capitalize on that sense of sophistication and world-weary elegance that so many photographers seem to capture. And it doesn't mean he has to surrender his post-punk cred and go the easy-listening/adult-radio route. Some of the most subversive, urgent music these days is being played on a piano or a violin.

So that's my worthless two cents: great songwriting, sophisticated arrangements and production, soaring vocals, brilliant lyrics and a healthy dose of Morrissey's patented emotional complexity - what could be simpler than that? :rolleyes:

Well said - I think that'd be an excellent route for Moz to take next. I might suggest the inclusion of one or two Tobias rockers on such an album, but overall I think we'd be in for a real treat if we got what you described.

Morrissey, if you're reading this, you'd better get Gustavo on the phone, pronto!

I know what Morrissey needs.....Johnny Marr

Mmmmmm.....it's just I've found MDL to lack real staying power, along with tracks like Ganglord and perhaps Friday Mourning, who also fit the above description. Very good songs and very attractive sound, but....somehow they give me the same kind of experience as early Massive Attack. Awfully nice and all that, but just not all that interesting.

I think I'd rather see Come Back to Camden and The never-played symphonies serve as the models. Time for a crooner album.

I know what Morrissey needs.....Johnny Marr

He's tried that before and it didn't end well...

I don't think a new sound is needed as such, but there are interesting musical bywaters to be explored. An epic Scott Walker-type of album, the type J Marr claims to have been planning post-Strangeways, for instance. Something raw and rootsy might be interesting. A more or less acoustic album too would be a fascinating stylistic shift. Anything but an Eno-style experimental album, which I think would be totally wrong. That said, I think he'll stick with what he's doing with slight adjustments here and there.

I've heard it in tons of places.. from departments stores to Burger King.

^Department stores, Burger King, Old Navy... What this means is that the track has been favored by some satellite channel used by businesses. These often reflect a slant toward British pop, for some reason (I hear Suede in Macy's to this day--have never heard them on US radio). Again, this only reflects that it's been popular--with audiences--in the UK.

Morrissey, if you're reading this, you'd better get Gustavo on the phone, pronto!

I'm sure Morrissey crossed Gustavo off the list as soon as he heard all the good reviews. :rolleyes:

Mmmmmm.....it's just I've found MDL to lack real staying power, along with tracks like Ganglord and perhaps Friday Mourning, who also fit the above description. Very good songs and very attractive sound, but....somehow they give me the same kind of experience as early Massive Attack. Awfully nice and all that, but just not all that interesting.

I think I'd rather see Come Back to Camden and The never-played symphonies serve as the models. Time for a crooner album.

I don't see the parallel to Ganglord (which did fade fast), but I still love Friday Mourning. A lush belter, to be sure.

Camden is a stunner, no doubt about it. I think it's the fantastic lyrics that make the difference between staying power and an early fade. Basically, Morrissey should embrace his inner crooner/belter/slow-burning torch singer, drop the easy-rocking stuff and sing something profound like his life depended on it. Is that too much to ask?

Yeah, but not without neglecting over half of his fanbase, who depend on his artistically stagnance to further cope with their own mope-ry.

It sounded like "college rock" sounded more than a decade ago, maybe.

It also sounded quite a bit like "mallpunk," with which it shared a producer.

I think it sounded mainstream, well as close as Morrissey can be to mainstream.
Although, I think that was the point of the album to get Morrissey a bigger audience and to make a point after being in in the wilderness for a number of years.
The LP did what it was meant to do but was bound to fade fast, it lacked idea's.
That said there are some good songs on there.

I would also like a more "Lifeguard sleeping.." sound, I love that song.
I know it may not be popular and I know Morrissey needs to work with people he
likes and feels comfortable and whom look good on the stage.
But maybe he needs a new band or at least a new bass player and guitarist- his current band are just to heavy handed, they find some interesting songs and melodies but there is something too stodgy about the playing.

I would hate to see him work with Mark Ronson or Rufus though.
I like Rufu's but he is a bit much at times.
I would love to hear the Scott Walker type LP Johnny spoke of too.

Last edited:

You know, I’m getting a bit f***ing sick fed up of the criticism that some of you c***s give to Morrissey and even to The Smiths on here!

For f*** sake you’re either fans or your not.

All I seem to read is the same old crap about some c***s who automatically discard Kill Uncle.

Other c***s who discard Southpaw Grammar/Maladjusted.

c***s who don’t like the 2004 onwards stuff.

c***s who don’t like the early Morrissey.

Then as I say there’s even the criticism of The Smiths.

c***s who don’t like the stuff before The Queen Is Dead.

c***s who don’t like Strangeways Here We Come.

Honestly, there must be some c***s on here who only listen to Louder Than Bombs and Vauxhall & I, and they think they’re big fans.

Me, I love it all, from the first Smiths to the last Morrissey.

Whatever Morrissey does next will be fabulous, as is everything he has done before.

I could not name one Smiths song that I do not love, simply because The Smiths just did not do any bad songs.

The Smiths were simply the greatest band there has ever been, any c***s who do not agree, get the f*** off this site and leave it to the real fans.

:mad::mad::mad:

Well, I can see where you are coming from, unless I am looking in the wrong direction.
It is possible to be a fan and dislike some records, even Morrissey isn't happy with all of his songs.
I don't hate any of his songs, although there are about 4% that I would rather not listen to and if I do it's only because his voice is on it.
I feel the thing that irritates most of us on here or at least me is the fact that Morrissey is such a lazy git at times and just doesn't put the effort in that he did in his younger years, we know he can often do 90% better than he actually does.
Where in The Smiths and the Viva Hate/Bona drag period one could tell Morrissey poured his life into his art. As the years passed he seemed at some point to become less and less interested in certain aspects or at least if he was as interested he didn't put as much work in- of late, some of his words tend to be lazy, the ideas for songs half baked and as for video's well....

Singing is Morrissey's true love and this is plan to see. His voice is the one thing that has improved year in, year out.

Where in The Smiths and the Viva Hate/Bona drag period one could tell Morrissey poured his life into his art. As the years passed he seemed at some point to become less and less interested in certain aspects or at least if he was as interested he didn't put as much work in- of late, some of his words tend to be lazy, the ideas for songs half baked and as for video's well....

I disagree (but then, I seem to disagree with most people when it comes to Morrissey's more recent work :p). True, his lyrics have become more minimalist and succinct in the last few albums- the songs are no longer the word-orgies they once were- and the music on YOR wasn't the most complex or exciting, but I personally feel as much urgency and passion in his latest songs as in tracks from, say Your Arsenal or Meat Is Murder. It's different, yes, but not necessarily worse in my view. Maybe I particularly feel this way because I've only experienced Morrissey as an artist in the last year or so, and it's only my opinion, but I genuinely think that the drive, ambition and talent are as strong as ever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom