Does Morrissey need a new sound

Re: Does Morrissey needs a new sound

Yes he badly needs a new sound, get rid of the mexican trumpet crap, come back to Britain and get back in touch with your roots morrissey, this is my advice.

I would love a crooner album. Morrissey can't really change much and I am satisfied with his aesthetic. His last two albums are the prime example of a musical direction that needs to be diverted from. Take the best from Ringleader (in my opinion Dear God Please Help Me, In the Future When All's Well) and use the sprawling beauty of I'm Throwing My Arms in Paris and lyrics that contain emotional reflection as shown You Are the Quarry. Experimentation is great when its not just for the sake experimentation itself. That type of vanity is found it David Bowie genre-exploration sometimes, but I don't fault Bowie for it because that's how he is. That's not how Morrissey is. So I would like something surprising but I don't want to be shocked by wild shifts of eclecticism. There should be a sense of familiarity that I will respond to fondly and not with boredom. But how I feel will probably be my fault.

Last edited:

I disagree (but then, I seem to disagree with most people when it comes to Morrissey's more recent work :p). True, his lyrics have become more minimalist and succinct in the last few albums- the songs are no longer the word-orgies they once were- and the music on YOR wasn't the most complex or exciting, but I personally feel as much urgency and passion in his latest songs as in tracks from, say Your Arsenal or Meat Is Murder. It's different, yes, but not necessarily worse in my view. Maybe I particularly feel this way because I've only experienced Morrissey as an artist in the last year or so, and it's only my opinion, but I genuinely think that the drive, ambition and talent are as strong as ever.

I did mean to say, but had toast on the go, that as any artist ages they tend to simplify their art.
Morrissey has done this to a degree. I still feel he has been lazy though. I didn't mean to say his new stuff is "worse", than his older stuff. There are some fantastic new songs. But in general there is a lackluster element.
Some of the b sides or what ever they are called these days are awful

Last edited:

as any artist ages they tend to simplify their art.

riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs. Sir Tristram, violer d'amores, fr'over the short sea, had passen- core rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor had topsawyer's rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County's gorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to tauftauf thuartpeatrick: not yet, though venissoon after, had a kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, though all's fair in vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe. Rot a peck of pa's malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface. The fall (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonner- ronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthur- nuk!) of a once wallstrait oldparr is retaled early in bed and later on life down through all christian minstrelsy. The great fall of the offwall entailed at such short notice the pftjschute of Finnegan, erse solid man, that the humptyhillhead of humself prumptly sends an unquiring one well to the west in quest of his tumptytumtoes: and their upturnpikepointandplace is at the knock out in the park where oranges have been laid to rust upon the green since dev-linsfirst loved livvy.

:) :rolleyes:

Awwwww. JJ's back. :sweet:

I think some piano tracks would be excellent. The version of I've Changed My Plea To Guilty from Jonathan Ross on YouTube is just sublime. I also like acoustic tracks, so maybe some more of those would be advisable. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE his recent work, but a change of musical direction may now be called for.

Bring back in Rourke on the bass and Gannon on the guitar and do "Girl Least Likely To" and some of Morrissey's earlier stuff in his next tour, no new sound needed!

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd like to see him do the crooner album or a more laid back acoustic driven album. As much as I loved YOR he does need to do something completely different.

I wish Morrissey and Richard Hawley would do something together. It'd better both their careers.

I wish Morrissey and Richard Hawley would do something together. It'd better both their careers.

They nearly did, Hawley went for an audition with Moz and Moz (wisely) turned him down.
I expect Moz took one look at him and thought, sorry lad NO! (Hawley isn't the best looking man and Moz is, for better or for worse, an aesthete).

I tend to think Hawley is a bit of a bore. I like a few of his songs but it's all a bit limited emotionally- in terms of his singing and song writing.

That said Hawley can come up with some lovely melodies

Last edited:

Might just have been JEALOUS

Of what Hawley's hair lip, his over greased quiff or awful taste in t shirts?

It certainly wouldn't have been his singing, Morrissey voice is his own where as Hawley is always doing an Impression of Frank S.

Anyway, Bully Scissors I know your joking

Of what Hawley's hair lip, his over greased quiff or awful taste in t shirts?

It certainly wouldn't have been his singing, Morrissey voice is his own where as Hawley is always doing an Impression of Frank S.

Anyway, Bully Scissors I know your joking

I was deadly serious.Hawley has a great look,the less shallow amongst us can surely see that.

Bring back in Rourke on the bass and Gannon on the guitar and do "Girl Least Likely To" and some of Morrissey's earlier stuff in his next tour, no new sound needed!

YES to the Rourke bit. Although I also think some heavy piano/crooning/strings is quite attractive.

I was deadly serious.Hawley has a great look,the less shallow amongst us can surely see that.

Damn, I thought you may have more about you than that.

When Hawley went for the audition it was in the early 90's, he had never song a word at that point. What on earth would Morrisey be jealous of then or now?
As you well know, Morrissey has managed to change music and had an impact on other artistic mediums,he has been in one of the most important bands the UK has produced, he's become a living legend and still makes interesting music (when he can be bothered), all these years later.

Richard Hawley, was in a Suede rip off band (The Longpigs), done a few solo LPs that are good but nothing special had a song on an advert and he hangs around with rent an over gown student Jarvis.

It's not shallow to make a comment about someones looks or lack of style in the least- thats very 2 + 2 thinking.
I could make a comment back but am utterly bored with the arguments one gets into on these sites

Hawley has had some good songs but they are not as emotionally intelligent,witty or daring as Morrissey at his best, they are not that much better than Morrisey at his worst.
As I say he has barley even found his own voice, he tends to sound like he is aping others- including Moz

How anyone who isn't very myopic can say that Hawley looks good is a joke.
He has a hair lip, no decent facial features, an awful quiff and follows the normal 70s rock dress code.

People will be saying the Longpigs were the best band of the 90s next

Back
Top Bottom