Does Morrissey need a new sound

Aly Panic

Slap Me On The Patio
I was listening to Years of Refusal today and I thought Morrissey needs a new sound.

Any suggestions who he would team up with?

Re: Does Morrissey needs a new sound

I was listening to Years of Refusal today and I thought Morrissey needs a new sound.

Any suggestions who he would team up with?
i would love some piano......even though rufus wainwright voice is not my abslolute fave he writes lovely songs-so rufus..

i also would love some orchestra...

Well, Mark Ronson gave Morrissey's music a different spin awhile back. How'd that single do again? :rolleyes:

I suppose some more variation wouldn't hurt, but the sound of the last three albums is really, really good. I agree with sistasheila about the piano part. The Rufus and orchestra parts not so much ;)

Let's just be happy he's not "exploring genres" like Bowie. Brr.

I suppose some more variation wouldn't hurt, but the sound of the last three albums is really, really good. I agree with sistasheila about the piano part. The Rufus and orchestra parts not so much ;)

Let's just be happy he's not "exploring genres" like Bowie. Brr.

Agreed. :thumb: A lot of people seem to lump the last three albums together in terms of sound, but to my ear they're actually very different- You Are The Quarry is fairly light, polished rock, Ringleader of the Tormentors is grand, orchestral and a bit experimental, and Years Of Refusal has a raw sound to it, with the little mariachi touches on 'Carol', 'Mama' etc. So yes, I think Morrissey "needs a new sound", but only because the best thing for any artist is to progress and make each new record slightly different, not because his recent style is tired or over-used.

Well, Mark Ronson gave Morrissey's music a different spin awhile back. How'd that single do again? :rolleyes:

It received more airplay in the US than any Morrissey single since the 90's, I would estimate.

Morrissey should play samba or maybe rumba.
It'd better if this thread was faded away.

Last edited:

I'd love if will go more "Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning"... a more acoustic, haunting sort of sound... With new instruments... I always though Arcade Fire could be a good backing band... If you see what I mean...

Said it before, shall say it again:

Who does Morrissey need to work with?

The London Philharmonic.

Or maybe the Halle like Elbow did

Maybe he does. To my surprise, YOR has faded strongly. A bit too much of a college rock element, perhaps. Going orchestral could be interesting, judging from Interlude and the general strength of his ballads over the past albums. Or something really experimental and dark, in the Nico vein? I was thinking just the other day, listening to Coil, that many of their songs would actually quite suit Morrissey - maybe he could team up with Peter Christopherson? :)

Another thought that won't quite let go - a cover versions album.

cheers

I reckon a bit of 4 to the floor techno and guest appearances from Jay-Z 50 Pence and The bloke from The Streets. Not Skinner the other one. Go on Moz RAVE ON

I'd love if will go more "Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning"... a more acoustic, haunting sort of sound... With new instruments... I always though Arcade Fire could be a good backing band... If you see what I mean...

Yes! Some of their music has a sound going on which I'd be really interested to hear Morrissey do something similar to. 'Ocean of Noise' is a prime example.

I think every one of Morrissey's solo records have each been unique from one another, and if he's gonna release more albums, then I should hope that he'll continue to change it up a bit. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't.

Years Of Refusal is a very strong record - it has very few emotionally driven songs, but it excels in creating short, catchy tunes that can be enjoyed almost any time.

What I love most about the Refusal is that it spits in the face of those stubborn Smiths purists who want nothing more than for Morrissey to spend his remaining years being a cheap Smiths clone.

Whatever Morrissey's future sound will be, I hope it continues to be as free spirited as his last few albums. Orchestration would definitely be nice, so would a solo piano, but I trust that if there's gonna be more albums, Morrissey will find a new sound that those of us open-minded enough will truly enjoy for many years to come.

What I love most about the Refusal is that it spits in the face of those stubborn Smiths purists who want nothing more than for Morrissey to spend his remaining years being a cheap Smiths clone.

Whatever Morrissey's future sound will be, I hope it continues to be as free spirited as his last few albums. Orchestration would definitely be nice, so would a solo piano, but I trust that if there's gonna be more albums, Morrissey will find a new sound that those of us open-minded enough will truly enjoy for many years to come.

We agree. :)

a number two hit.Better than M's ever done or going to do.

Maybe he does. To my surprise, YOR has faded strongly. A bit too much of a college rock element, perhaps.

It sounded like "college rock" sounded more than a decade ago, maybe.

It also sounded quite a bit like "mallpunk," with which it shared a producer.

It sounded like "college rock" sounded more than a decade ago, maybe.

It also sounded quite a bit like "mallpunk," with which it shared a producer.

Ouch. You evil person. It was bad enough carrying the "college rock" tag around while listening to it. "Mallpunk" may just kill it altogether. :)

cheers

IMHO Morrissey's sound is perfect the way it is

You know, I’m getting a bit f***ing sick fed up of the criticism that some of you c***s give to Morrissey and even to The Smiths on here!

For f*** sake you’re either fans or your not.

All I seem to read is the same old crap about some c***s who automatically discard Kill Uncle.

Other c***s who discard Southpaw Grammar/Maladjusted.

c***s who don’t like the 2004 onwards stuff.

c***s who don’t like the early Morrissey.

Then as I say there’s even the criticism of The Smiths.

c***s who don’t like the stuff before The Queen Is Dead.

c***s who don’t like Strangeways Here We Come.

Honestly, there must be some c***s on here who only listen to Louder Than Bombs and Vauxhall & I, and they think they’re big fans.

Me, I love it all, from the first Smiths to the last Morrissey.

Whatever Morrissey does next will be fabulous, as is everything he has done before.

I could not name one Smiths song that I do not love, simply because The Smiths just did not do any bad songs.

The Smiths were simply the greatest band there has ever been, any c***s who do not agree, get the f*** off this site and leave it to the real fans.

:mad::mad::mad:

Back
Top Bottom