Dog on a Chain review in Record Collector - 2/5

For reasons best known to themselves, Record Collector got the world's #1 Morrissey-hating journalist to review the new album. David Quantocks, who I believe was even once sued by Morrissey and forced to write a grovelling apology, gives it 2/5. In all fairness, he does quote an appalling lyric about geese and a niece which I'm hoping he mis-heard or made up. Haven't bought the mag so can't scan and attach.

Scan provided by Famous when dead in the comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might be the first Korea-based fan on here. Welcome!
And greetings from Japan.

For me Knockabout World it would have been a better single, it's a catchy pop song, although my favorite til now is Bobby...

IANADOAC.jpg

Sorry for my bad english, I'm Korean...

Liking all the people who cheered the other reviews not liking this one. You know, when you want the buying public to part with their money for something, you put it out there and some people like it, and some people don't. And now you're crying over it. Well boo hoo. Stop being vicariously upset about something you HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD YET.
up at 6am on a Saturday morning on a fan site shouting at Morrissey fans
- jeez man check yo'self ffs
Get.A.Life

To read his review, its really laughable haha hahahaha haha hahahaha ohhhhhhh
poor quanTicks

People who haven't heard the album slagging off someone who has... rrrriiiiggghhht.

It’s a terribly badly written ‘review’. It’s more like a tweet than a review. Sickening. No wonder music magazines are suffering these days...

It’s a terribly badly written ‘review’.
On the contrary, it's a succinct review that more than adequately conveys the reviewer's dislike of the album. Do you have a problem with people expressing opinions that are counter to your own?

On the contrary, it's a succinct review that more than adequately conveys the reviewer's dislike of the album. Do you have a problem with people expressing opinions that are counter to your own?

Love it when the usual goons turn up and slag off a REVIEW because it doesn't say what they like about something they HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD. But they LOVED the reviews of something they HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD when it concurred with their bias.

The actual three monkeys right there.

Of course not but if a reviewer starts by saying Morrissey is ‘America’s most insistent For Britain supporter’ you know it is not a review but a character assassination. I want my reviews to be about the music of an album, not about the political preference of its author.

It’s a terribly badly written ‘review’. It’s more like a tweet than a review. Sickening. No wonder music magazines are suffering these days...

The reviewer seems to be settling some kind of personal score. Seems really unprofessional on the writer and the editors part. Yes it is sickening. They do not understand just how foolish they look.

Well.....he's pretty contrary on nationality and ere........"cultural identity". One minute he's like a British bulldog......the next he's saying we should give back the Falkland Islands.

Most of his attitudes are standard Irish Catholic Republican, but he's very attached to Manchester & London as places.

I think he finds it distressing that you can be born somewhere & not belong to it, either because they reject you or you can't accept them. So he keeps trying to make England fit with Ireland. And it doesn't, because it can't.

It's an on-going identity crisis. To add to all the other things he's in crisis about.

Which is why he's still interesting.

Of course not but if a reviewer starts by saying Morrissey is ‘America’s most insistent For Britain supporter’ you know it is not a review but a character assassination. I want my reviews to be about the music of an album, not about the political preference of its author.

Dave spent an entire day on Twitter trying to get a #Moztits hashtag trending where he & other people piled-on with homophobic, transphobic, ageist & lookist comments about Moz's body so he can take any anti-bigotry moral high-ground he thinks he's got & piss off.

Dave was vile about Moz on Twitter. Pretty pathetic to carry it over into a review.
hes a pathetic man,always has been,a talking head who used to never be off those list programmes in the early2000s.

iv always said I don't mind a bad review because its all subjective but what I want is an honest review and quantick was never going give an honest review here.

iv always said I don't mind a bad review because its all subjective but what I want is an honest review and quantick was never going give an honest review here.
What specifically in the review is dishonest?

Going by the three songs he's put out so far, the review is spot on, if a little generous on the stars. Moz used to write great pop songs (with his collaborators of course, but his vocal lines are so distinctive he needs a lot of credit for more than just providing lyrics). Even recently, STDIB is a great song, popular with live audiences & radio programmers alike. But where has that ear for melody gone?? KW, BDYTTK and LIOIWO are tuneless, boring, formless, no light & shade, no climax, no groove, nothing remotely catchy or pleasing to the ear...if they are the best songs on the album, then it will be his worst by a comfortable margin.

Love it when the usual goons turn up and slag off a REVIEW because it doesn't say what they like about something they HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD. But they LOVED the reviews of something they HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD when it concurred with their bias.

The actual three monkeys right there.

You like the review because it fits with your bias though, don'tcha?
f***ing 3 actual monkeys rolled into one right there....you see evil, you hear evil, you speak evil.
On here posting every day & relishing anything negative. The squalor of your mind, indeed.

Well it's not really a review though is it? It's very brief, narrow, insofar as it doesn't cover all the tracks - maybe he didn't listen to them all, dunno. But when gauged against the other reviews which have been posted, it's quite inadequate & hardly worth spending the time reading.

The thing is with reviews, whether for films or music, it's all subjective. I'll reserve judgement until I've heard the full album, & not be swayed by any review, +ve or -ve. I like the 3 released tracks enough to buy the album anyway, so I've made my decision, & don't need any assistance from this, or any other reviewer tbh. Fans will buy it, haters won't, which is always the case, so what's the big deal, really? Stuff like this just gives the likes of skinny et al something to comment on negatively...so waste your life away, waster...& well done on being able to get up out of bed & post at such an early hour!

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom