"England Is Mine" - Morrissey biopic new title revealed in interview with producer Orian Williams

Orian Williams is a movie producer . . .10 years ago, he produced “Control,” the debut feature of seminal rock photographer Anton Corbijn, a haunting B&W biopic of doomed Joy Division singer Ian Curtis.

Orian has a new Biopic coming out on Morrissey. The film was originally called Steven, but in this clip, Orian tells Nik & Lori they have changed the name.

UPDATE 5:00 PM PT:

Link from Rene:

Morrissey Biopic Gets New Title: England Is Mine - Pitchfork
The upcoming film was previously titled Steven

UPDATE Mar. 4:

Link from Rene:
Morrissey biopic has been given a new title - NME

Last edited by a moderator:
ENGLAND IS MINE.better title than steven,that was obviously the working title which a lot of films do.steven would be too confusing for audiences.most people wouldn't even know morrisseys first name was steven.first trailer must be due very soon if its got its title and is undergoing post production.

I actually liked Steven more since the movie is about his life before becoming "morrissey". Speaks to the idea of transformation more and makes it more personal and intimate. I mean most people who see this are gonna know what it's about and probably already be a fan. New title is fine though

That's catchy. I feel as is I've heard it before. Hrm?

Big improvement! Naming a film Steven would probably only he marginally better than 'Morrissey is crap'. I much prefer 'England Is Mine'. Still I'd prefer to watch an actual Morrissey concert than a film with actors in it.

Unrelated: if you like the new title check out PJ Harvey's 'Let England Shake'. Excellent.

But, wouldn't it be more appropriate to title it England Was Mine?
More in line with the present, actual situation?
How tragic it may seem, the living it owed him he found somewhere else.
And I do believe that sentiment is shared by more then one in England nowadays.
Rightly or wrongly, it exists and Moz sang about it already so many years ago and received a lot of hostile reactions because of it.

But, wouldn't it be more appropriate to title it England Was Mine?
More in line with the present, actual situation?
How tragic it may seem, the living it owed him he found somewhere else.
And I do believe that sentiment is shared by more then one in England nowadays.
Rightly or wrongly, it exists and Moz sang about it already so many years ago and received a lot of hostile reactions because of it.
Perhaps the best comment ever on this website and Moz is not alone in supporting politics that in the end means the end for people like himself who then have to find another home away from home.

He truly is the number one expat of indie.

I am not sure how accurate this movie will be since Morrissey didn't give input to this. Would take a genius director to capture Morrissey moody genius. I imagine this movie will be highly inaccurate.

I am not sure how accurate this movie will be since Morrissey didn't give input to this. Would take a genius director to capture Morrissey moody genius. I imagine this movie will be highly inaccurate.

If it follows autobiography and his interviews about this time period closely along with input from others who knew him at the time I think it's got a decent shot at being fairly accurate

People here will hate it no matter what. Every time someone interviews him, writes a book about him, poses for a photo with him or wears one of his t-shirts they become hated here. The fun part will be watching the innocent new fans wander in here only to realize they are in an asylum.

If it follows autobiography and his interviews about this time period closely along with input from others who knew him at the time I think it's got a decent shot at being fairly accurate
A tale of a depressed young man pacing the streets cursing the royals and gazing into happy homes questioning their happiness. We should be grateful he did not turn into a flasher stealing knickers off clothes lines.

People here will hate it no matter what. Every time someone interviews him, writes a book about him, poses for a photo with him or wears one of his t-shirts they become hated here. The fun part will be watching the innocent new fans wander in here only to realize they are in an asylum.

Lol. Tis' true. I don't mind being hated too much, As long as it's the right people. I predict a cringe worthy impression of Mozza, he can't be duplicated. Although, Russell's impression is quite funny.

A tale of a depressed young man pacing the streets cursing the royals and gazing into happy homes questioning their happiness. We should be grateful he did not turn into a flasher stealing knickers off clothes lines.

Well, he questioned his own un/happiness too, mocking himself in a very funny way, in fact, what did he not question as an artist?
Isn't exactly that what really great artists do and should do and why they establish critical acclaim cause it is recognized by an audience?

Let's hope so:)))))))

I hope very soon it will be fully produced, and it get into the cinema's,
guess not the big ones, but the ones for a more cult movies.
Anyway the title change is an improvement though I hope it will not be
Brittain only in the cinema's.

Ask me why, and...

I am not sure how accurate this movie will be since Morrissey didn't give input to this.
With all due respect, you know that this is Morrissey we're talking about, right? If he gave his input for a movie to be made about him, how accurate do you think it would be? That could be said about anyone though, to be fair.

If someone were to make a biopic of my life (which would be a waste of everyone's time), do you think they would get a more accurate depiction from me, or from those that were close to me? A question I don't know myself, but I think there is some credence to the idea that a 'third-party' may be more impartial. Less likely to mold it to the way I would want to be seen.

My humble advice to anyone who wants to learn about Morrissey and his life, youth, young adulthood, middle age, 'over fifty'...listen to the man's music. It's all there. And it's genius. That's all you need. There, in the lyrics, you will find the truth.

I'll agree with ACTON...just give me a concert.

But I do like the title more than I dislike it. For people who don't know Morrissey from moss on a log, it will intrigue them.

Be safe all...

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom