"England Is Mine" - Morrissey biopic new title revealed in interview with producer Orian Williams

Orian Williams is a movie producer . . .10 years ago, he produced “Control,” the debut feature of seminal rock photographer Anton Corbijn, a haunting B&W biopic of doomed Joy Division singer Ian Curtis.

Orian has a new Biopic coming out on Morrissey. The film was originally called Steven, but in this clip, Orian tells Nik & Lori they have changed the name.

UPDATE 5:00 PM PT:

Link from Rene:

Morrissey Biopic Gets New Title: England Is Mine - Pitchfork
The upcoming film was previously titled Steven

UPDATE Mar. 4:

Link from Rene:
Morrissey biopic has been given a new title - NME

Last edited by a moderator:
This movie will be most certainly be pretty boring, since Moz's youth wasn't exactly that interesting. Ive read his book and it only gets interesting when the smiths come about.
It's not like Moz was in and out of trouble etc or had the up bringing of Anthony Kiedis or someone like that.

This movie will be most certainly be pretty boring, since Moz's youth wasn't exactly that interesting. Ive read his book and it only gets interesting when the smiths come about.
It's not like Moz was in and out of trouble etc or had the up bringing of Anthony Kiedis or someone like that.
You don't think sitting in his bedroom writing letters sounds like a fascinating movie?

It'll probably reflect somewhat on the place and times cultural climate I imagine. The moor murders, poverty and the punk rock movement coming out of the ashes of glam and its effect on local youth, him seeing the Sex Pistols and buzzcocks, joining the nosebleeds and the local Manchester music scene in general, finding like minded friends there with there own issues and artistic ambition/dreams, writing pieces on bands and his obsession with music and film bubbling up and his first stabs at trying to make a future out of them, the unexpected death of young friends and its lasting effects on an individual etc. of course the knowledge we have of knowing that he does succeed will carry some weight as well when combined with all of this

Will his week thrilling young Bob Mackie be saucier than Fifteen Days Unpaid?

People here will hate it no matter what. Every time someone interviews him, writes a book about him, poses for a photo with him or wears one of his t-shirts they become hated here. The fun part will be watching the innocent new fans wander in here only to realize they are in an asylum.
That makes you a voluntary inmate like the guys from Cuckoos Nest....:crazy:

Last edited:
Morrissey will never give his blessing to this, he will always criticise it and tell people it bears no relation to any truth like he did with Rogans book, I can understand he needs to keep the enigma going which is a big part of his appeal, I,m looking forward to seeing it just to see how it matches my own ideas of how it was in them days.

Dreadful name. No understanding of the man or the song. Make a shed load of money out of him - go ahead - but at least don't cause him hassle while you are about it.

Dreadful name. No understanding of the man or the song. Make a shed load of money out of him - go ahead - but at least don't cause him hassle while you are about it.

All his lyrics are copy and paste in the sense he took lines and comments from films and books and plays and probably from real life around him too.

A much stronger name and probably does some up some of Morrissey's attitudes even at that age.

And while Morrissey may condemn this film, I think he will also see the value that the publicity might bring him. He was, after all, very keen for The Wrong Boy to be turned into a film. If any of these new cinematic efforts is a success, then it certainly can't do his career any harm.

All his lyrics are copy and paste in the sense he took lines and comments from films and books and plays and probably from real life around him too.
And he did it, and does it brilliantly. I believe his genius is being able to find just the right line, or quote, and put it into written song...and then combine that with some great music and his voice...and you have the reason why we all came to this site at one point or another...the music, and how it affects your life.

Everything else is just background noise.

That makes you a voluntary inmate like the guys from Cuckoos Nest....:crazy:
GP: Maybe you are just crazy.
M2: Indeed! But do not reject these teachings as false because I am crazy. The reason that I am crazy is because they are true.

And he did it, and does it brilliantly. I believe his genius is being able to find just the right line, or quote, and put it into written song...and then combine that with some great music and his voice...and you have the reason why we all came to this site at one point or another...the music, and how it affects your life.

Everything else is just background noise.

That's it, SeniorLife. :thumb:
Also, not ALL his lyrics are copy and paste.
He just gets his inspiration from many different sources and always changes them slightly, making them his own. Changing sometimes the meaning too.

As I said before, it does seem to me to be a legitimate way of creating art. All (great) artists were influenced and use that influence to make their own. As long as they are aware of it, they don't become copycats trying to get the same succes.

Nowadays it has become so much more difficult to be really authentic, unique and original.
And since the internet exists even more so.

The content of art and music is so big that there will be always something, somewhere to find resembling your own artistic output.
So to get inspired by art and music that already in some form exists and making use of it, creating your own art is a strategy I won't condone. And Moz has so many interesting influences. :brows:
Cheers

I can't imagine anyone has an understanding of the man, save perhaps for his mother.

The song has always felt like an observation on disenfranchisement in two senses. Firstly, it begins with satirical criticism of England of the period ("i decree...it owes me a living"): Unemployment; gentrification; Thatcher's itchy trigger finger; and a foolish sense of economic entitlement related to a by-gone era of English supremacy on the world stage. And what is indeed clever is that the title actually reflects the state of modern post Brexit Britain, ruled over by and elite set of English middle classes.

The second meaning could well be him questioning whether is it right for his mind to force his body to engage with another physically ie. "sore lips"( appropriated from Viv Nicholson's book, "Spend Spend Spend") or should he abstain in deference to what his body is telling him to do.

Just as he cannot find a place in the then modern-day England, he cannot find love. Disenfranchised across all dimensions of life from the political to the personal.

It's a title that speaks to the many right now as well as giving a nod to Morrissey/Smiths fans who'll understand the source. It at once both resonates with the times but gives that sense of Dickensian nostalgia.

And that is why I think the title is actually very bloody clever.

As to the film, I'm going to wait and see before writing it off in a pique of indignant and petty rage.

I have a more fitting title for the current England.

"England is muslim".

I haven't had the time to listen. Do they mention a release date? With a baby to look after I have to plan my cinema nights six months in advance.

The more it sits with me the more I hope this title doesn't stick. It feels more superficial with its morrissey British connection and doesn't feel like it comments enough on the idea of the story s I understand it. If they were gonna use some lyric or title I'd rather see the boy with the thorn or on the streets i ran etc. I'm sure someone here could find a better lyric than England is mine for this

I recon STEVEN was not a blood working title. It was a fantasy and just another way to exploit Moz, just like this is. I know you Brits aren't French, but can you just give up? I reckon me hope Uncle Steve will send his high powered Beverly Hills attorneys to Englund to stop all this bull ox. Me reckon the title of a movie about Morrissey should be "LA is mine".

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom