Question English accents

It's funny.... I understood a lot of things today after talking about a silly subject with a friend: the song "Getting away with it" by Electronic....
And I understood that Morrissey (even with The Smiths) and the Pet Shop Boys somehow had a similar project, which was defining how gay music was going to sound in the 80's and early 90's; but gay music not restricted for a gay audience at all.

Such thing was not a novelty, it had already happened with two genres: Disco and Glam Rock.
Of course the Pet Shop boys picked most of their influences from Disco, which Morrissey was all about quoting Glam bands (The Dolls) and "burn down the disco".

One project involved a celebratory style, danceable, cheerful... whilst the other one involved melancholia and a dramatic tone.
(It is even funny that BOTH bands at some given point got videos made by Derek Jarman, which was almost like a certificate of authenticity in that sense).

But probably BOTH the Pet Shop Boys and Morrissey wanted to deliver the message of "This is gay music not restricted to a gay audience".
So probably Morrissey in his early years was quite interested in delivering the "I am gay" message, specially in the interviews... Or the incredibly weird duet of Morrissey and Pete Burns.

... And, probably, as time passed, Morrissey abandoned that project and mostly gave up playing the game of hide and seek with his sexual orientation and later he simply said "Humasexual" without playing games of hide and seek.

"And I understood that Morrissey (even with The Smiths) and the Pet Shop Boys somehow had a similar project, which was defining how gay music was going to sound in the 80's and early 90's; but gay music not restricted for a gay audience at all."

Gay music? What the hell is "gay" music? Show me one Smiths song that is "gay." Even if you can find one that is lyrically directed at a male, its sentiments can most certainly also be sung from a straight girl's point of view or, alternately, the "male" target could easily be changed out for a girl and sung from the viewpoint of a straight male. Therefore, sorry, no dice. Not "gay" music.

In fact, if memory serves, a lot of gay people didn't even like Morrissey/The Smiths in the 80s and 90s because he wasn't so obvious and one dimensional about his interest in men. And sure, a lot DID like him, but my point is that the music he made could hardly be pigeonholed into such an absurd category as "gay music."

"Such thing was not a novelty, it had already happened with two genres: Disco and Glam Rock.
Of course the Pet Shop boys picked most of their influences from Disco, which Morrissey was all about quoting Glam bands (The Dolls) and 'burn down the disco'. "

"Burn down the disco" was a reference to the vapid crap, mostly made by black people, that Morrissey despised in the 80s. The full context of that line is to burn down the disco (i.e. "club") bevause the music said nothing and meant nothing. The sexual connotation, gay or otherwise, had NOTHING to do with that song.

"probably Morrissey in his early years was quite interested in delivering the "I am gay" message, specially in the interviews... Or the incredibly weird duet of Morrissey and Pete Burns."

Literally based on WHAT? Where is his "I am gay" message? Where is it in the music and where is it in ANY interview? In fact there is a specific interview from Australian radio in 1985 where he specifically says that while the "gay" tag doesn't bother him or embarrass him, it's an untrue assumption by the press and that he is beyond such simplistic categorization...which is pretty much EXACTLY the same thing in a different package years later when he described himself as "humasexual."

I never understood why this was such a dilemma for people...he obviously likes both sexes, has had experiences with both sexes, and writes about both sexes. This is SO simple. What has made it convoluted is that people who are straight want him to be straight and people who are gay want him to be gay. But that's on them, not on him.

Last edited:
Gay music? What the hell is "gay" music? Show me one Smiths song that is "gay." Even if you can find one that is lyrically directed at a male, its sentiments can most certainly also be sung from a straight girl's point of view or, alternately, the "male" target could easily be changed out for a girl and sung from the viewpoint of a straight male. Therefore, sorry, no dice. Not "gay" music.

You missed the point. Even if some Smiths' songs contain quite obvious gay references (Reel around the fountain) and then Morrissey did the same in his early solo years (Picadilly Palare). BUT it was never music for a "gay audience", which is what I said anyway.
The same phenomenon had happened with Disco music: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_Demolition_Night#Background
Which is the legacy that the Pet Shop Boys actually picked later.
I do NOT think the Pet Shop Boys or Morrissey wanted to restrict themselves to a specifically gay audience at all.... but I do believe that both bands (in the case of the Smiths it was Morrissey) wanted to define the "gay music" of the 80's (just like Disco had done it in the 70's... and such thing does NOT mean "music for gays").

"Burn down the disco" was a reference to the vapid crap, mostly made by black people, that Morrissey despised in the 80s. The full context of that line is to burn down the disco (i.e. "club") bevause the music said nothing and meant nothing. The sexual connotation, gay or otherwise, had NOTHING to do with that song.

I know the context of the song.... it also means that Morrissey found that Disco Music was trivial and nonsensical. I know the context. A DJ that played a Disco Song on the radio after a terrorist attack or a tragedy (I forgot the specific catastrophe, which does not matter).

Literally based on WHAT? Where is his "I am gay" message? Where is it in the music and where is it in ANY interview?

If you see the early phase of Morrissey, I would say that he was VERY interested in giving hints about the fact that he was gay or bisexual or "humasexual".

Other than that, homosexuality was quite a taboo subject, also remember that HIV was big deal by then and people was calling it "the gay cancer" (sic.... and sick) and a lot of artists were showing it without saying it... Pete Burn and George Michael could be good examples.

Anyway, if you don't agree, then you don't agree and that's fine

"And I understood that Morrissey (even with The Smiths) and the Pet Shop Boys somehow had a similar project, which was defining how gay music was going to sound in the 80's and early 90's; but gay music not restricted for a gay audience at all."

In fact, if memory serves, a lot of gay people didn't even like Morrissey/The Smiths in the 80s and 90s because he wasn't so obvious and one dimensional about his interest in men. And sure, a lot DID like him, but my point is that the music he made could hardly be pigeonholed into such an absurd category as "gay music."

"Such thing was not a novelty, it had already happened with two genres: Disco and Glam Rock.
Of course the Pet Shop boys picked most of their influences from Disco, which Morrissey was all about quoting Glam bands (The Dolls) and 'burn down the disco'. "

"probably Morrissey in his early years was quite interested in delivering the "I am gay" message, specially in the interviews... Or the incredibly weird duet of Morrissey and Pete Burns."

Literally based on WHAT? Where is his "I am gay" message? Where is it in the music and where is it in ANY interview? In fact there is a specific interview from Australian radio in 1985 where he specifically says that while the "gay" tag doesn't bother him or embarrass him, it's an untrue assumption by the press and that he is beyond such simplistic categorization...which is pretty much EXACTLY the same thing in a different package years later when he described himself as "humasexual."

I never understood why this was such a dilemma for people...he obviously likes both sexes, has had experiences with both sexes, and writes about both sexes. This is SO simple. What has made it convoluted is that people who are straight want him to be straight and people who are gay want him to be gay. But that's on them, not on him.
Just relax little fella, it's going to be okay. In the time you spent typing this nonsense you could have taken a dozen new selfies. Was it worth it?

You missed the point. Even if some Smiths' songs contain quite obvious gay references (Reel around the fountain) and then Morrissey did the same in his early solo years (Picadilly Palare). BUT it was never music for a "gay audience", which is what I said anyway.
The same phenomenon had happened with Disco music: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_Demolition_Night#Background
Which is the legacy that the Pet Shop Boys actually picked later.
I do NOT think the Pet Shop Boys or Morrissey wanted to restrict themselves to a specifically gay audience at all.... but I do believe that both bands (in the case of the Smiths it was Morrissey) wanted to define the "gay music" of the 80's (just like Disco had done it in the 70's... and such thing does NOT mean "music for gays").

I know the context of the song.... it also means that Morrissey found that Disco Music was trivial and nonsensical. I know the context. A DJ that played a Disco Song on the radio after a terrorist attack or a tragedy (I forgot the specific catastrophe, which does not matter).

If you see the early phase of Morrissey, I would say that he was VERY interested in giving hints about the fact that he was gay or bisexual or "humasexual".

Other than that, homosexuality was quite a taboo subject, also remember that HIV was big deal by then and people was calling it "the gay cancer" (sic.... and sick) and a lot of artists were showing it without saying it... Pete Burn and George Michael could be good examples.

Anyway, if you don't agree, then you don't agree and that's fine
Thanks for the option

Just relax little fella, it's going to be okay. In the time you spent typing this nonsense you could have taken a dozen new selfies. Was it worth it?
It's always worth it to tell people how dumb they are. Always. And I'm sorry that not all of us have been so assf***ed by genetics and age that we can't actually show our real face in our profile pic. I guess that really sticks in your craw, huh. Well. Sucks to suck.

Back
Top Bottom