English Solowers in England, which accent are you?

Received Pronunciation (the first accent she does) is probably closest to how I speak, although I'm a little less clipped and newsreader-y. My Mum's from Norfolk, where I was born, but doesn't have the accent, and my Dad's from Birmingham originally but after 30 years away from there only sounds vaguely Brummie now. I think if my parents had stronger accents I'd probably sound less neutral but I've picked up my non-accent from them I think.

Leaving aside that Scottish and Welsh and Ireland aren't English, her Yorkshire was terrible. Even within Yorkshire it's possible to tell where someone is from. Her Yorkshire does that thing that most people attempting it do - pronounce the unspoken 't' on 'the'. No one does that here, it's unspoken yet understood. Couldn't place her within Yorkshire - Bradford is different to Sheffield which is different to Hull which is different to Hawes.

P.

Yeah, that Yorkshire accent was pretty all over the place, partly because there are so many variations on it depending on where you are. I've lived with 3 people from various parts of Yorkshire while I've been at uni and their accents are completely different.

I wonder if Yorkshire is like America's south. There's a handful of different southern "drawls." "Ya'll come back now" can be pronounced several different ways but in itself, the southern drawl is different from standard American accent.

Yes I was. Thank you for your response. It did seem like she was pulling her knowledge from pop culture shows and not actually living or traveling to any of those places.

I wonder if Yorkshire is like America's south. There's a handful of different southern "drawls." "Ya'll come back now" can be pronounced several different ways but in itself, the southern drawl is different from standard American accent.

So I take it you have been to ALL these southern regions of the US that you speak so knowledgeably of. Firsthand experience with these accents, eh? Mwahaha. Logic-fail.

So I take it you have been to ALL these southern regions of the US that you speak so knowledgeably of. Firsthand experience with these accents, eh? Mwahaha. Logic-fail.

What the f*** is wrong with you? I was just theorizing.

There are no accents in Yorkshire, just a lack of education.

I'm from Birmingham (West Midlands) but don't sound like that. She kind of sounds South African in the video. :lbf:

There are different accents that occur throughout the West Midlands, your accent may depend upon your generation, social class etc.
In the video, I think she may be attempting more of a Black Country accent - which is like an exaggeration of the Birmingham accent.

I've got quite a broad Hull accent.

But my boyfriend is from Stoke On Trent so we've kind of started talking like each other over the years sometimes

Leaving aside that Scottish and Welsh and Ireland aren't English, her Yorkshire was terrible. Even within Yorkshire it's possible to tell where someone is from. Her Yorkshire does that thing that most people attempting it do - pronounce the unspoken 't' on 'the'. No one does that here, it's unspoken yet understood. Couldn't place her within Yorkshire - Bradford is different to Sheffield which is different to Hull which is different to Hawes.

P.

This! I have a Yorkshire accent but it is nothing like the video.

I had to look up the word Anglophile. Obviously I'm not an admirer and don't care

But I find most English speaking accents pretty soothing to the ear and rather sexy in a way. Maybe it's just because it is different from what I hear daily. I work with a colleague from time to time, he is from England he who speaks very proper, wtf do you call it,,,, British accent. He is well travelled and educated so I don't know if that determines how he speaks or where he is from.

My hair dresser is Scottish. It's hard enough understanding him face to face, but when he's telling a detailed story in thick Scottish accent while blow drying my head, forget it. :D I just smile and nod. We've 'ad lotes uv lowng cahnvarsashones I don't evin rahmimbar.

I had to look up the word Anglophile. Obviously I'm not an admirer and don't care

But I find most English speaking accents pretty soothing to the ear and rather sexy in a way. Maybe it's just because it is different from what I hear daily. I work with a colleague from time to time, he is from England he who speaks very proper, wtf do you call it,,,, British accent. He is well travelled and educated so I don't know if that determines how he speaks or where he is from.

If he speaks very proper he's probably got a public school accent.

Back
Top Bottom