Morrissey Central "ENNIO MORRICONE" / "MORRICONE & MORRISSEY IN ROMA" (July 6, 2020)

images_hsqmlt.jpg

"Ennio Morricone, the exalted and revered Italian composer, has died aged 91 in Rome. Morricone and his orchestra played on Morrissey's album "Ringleader Of The Tormentors"."

Unknown_copy_22_klt2n6.jpg

"I was aware that Morricone had said no to U2, no to David Bowie, and no to Robbie Williams, so I was thrilled when he said Yes to me. His contributions to my 'Ringleader Of The Tormentors' album are, naturally, completely dismissed by the jargon jugglers, but they burst and thrive in my heart forever. In reflection of the happiest days imaginable, I say the temporary parting of ar'ri've'der'ci to he who gave all to the greatness of Italia."

MORRISSEY
6 July 2020

FWD.

UPDATE July 7:

Link posted by joe frady:

ENNIO MORRICONE…
….CONDUCTS MORRISSEY'S 'DEAR GOD, PLEASE HELP ME' IN ROMA

https://t.co/7JKy5EkYnW

Our thanks to Alice Gahan.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but you have to realise that the faux outrage brigade are always out there, lurking in the sewers ready to slither forward whenever someone they have a childish gripe against speaks. Morrissey is up there with the greats whilst they are down there with the rats..."Rats, rats, rats, thousands of rats...aaahhh!'
His aspirations have always been to be up there with the greats but he belongs in the sewers.

It's comedy. Gallows humour parody rhapsody. Because death is all around him.

Everything on Central is in that tone or its a muddled attempt to be understood that gets abandoned. Or it's found media with a cryptic headline.

It's not trying to get publicity because he must know by now that it won't.

He just wants it pubished.

You might not like the style but it should be seen as a style. It's not what he'd naturally say.
You know that?
You need help.

I seem to remember reading an piece on Morricone's involvement on ROTT that revealed that it was Morricone's granddaughter that insisted that he take the Morrissey gig, as she was one pretty hip granddaughter who knew all about Moz and thought he merited the undoubted benefits that would come out of a collab with her musical genius of a grandfather.

Remember, this was 14 years ago, lol!

Thanks for this info.

Was wondering how he agreed. Knowing it was a ‘pop’ song, he must have heard the lyrics first I would think before agreeing to do it(?) but Morrissey usually doesn’t put the words on to last. I wonder.

He said "YES" to the Pet Shop Boys in 1987...years before he said "YES" to Morrissey, why does he always have to write (or say) things as if he is some exception to some imaginary rule?

But that was in 87. Morrissey may have been talking about Morricone refusing to work with ‘pop’ musicians
in more (then) recent years.

Morrissey is and has always been a bit of an outsider to the music industry, so for someone like Morricone to say yes, when he has said no to ‘bigger’ names
would be flattering to an artist like Morrissey. Nothing wrong with him pointing that out and showing pride in it.

You know that?
You need help.

Yes - I know that. I have to think about tone all the time. What it's doing, why it's doing it.

It's the same deflective tone he's been using in interviews since The Smiths days - but the material is slightly different, then it was celibacy & avoiding life, now it's death & everything dying. And the context is different - it's small snippets on his website & not part of a bigger interview edited in a publication.

Thanks for this info.

Was wondering how he agreed. Knowing it was a ‘pop’ song, he must have heard the lyrics first I would think before agreeing to do it(?) but Morrissey usually doesn’t put the words on to last. I wonder.
I've heard multiple times that Morricone didn't speak English very well, if at all. I think Moz mentioned it and Mike Farrell did too in his recent Q&A for Ringleader. So I doubt that Morricone was interested in the lyrics.

I've heard multiple times that Morricone didn't speak English very well, if at all. I think Moz mentioned it and Mike Farrell did too in his recent Q&A for Ringleader. So I doubt that Morricone was interested in the lyrics.

Thanks. :thumb:

Then, besides wanting to please his granddaughter, I would think he must have liked the music of the song enough to go through with it.

Thanks. :thumb:

Then, besides wanting to please his granddaughter, I would think he must have liked the music of the song enough to go through with it.
Yes, I mean it's a great song, especially Moz's vocal melody. He probably built the orchestral arrangement around the stripped down version that can be heard in the video you posted, no?

Yes, I mean it's a great song, especially Moz's vocal melody. He probably built the orchestral arrangement around the stripped down version that can be heard in the video you posted, no?

Yes of course. Just saying he must have heard a recording of it before deciding to do it. I mean, his decision
must have been based on more than just pleasing his granddaughter.

The vocal melody is great, though I wish he sang it a tiny bit lower, to give it a little weight. I don’t know how else to describe it.

Wish Leonard Cohen would have covered it. In that low singing/talking intimate delivery of his.

Don’t care for Marianne Faithfull’s cover much.

But that was in 87. Morrissey may have been talking about Morricone refusing to work with ‘pop’ musicians
in more (then) recent years.

Morrissey is and has always been a bit of an outsider to the music industry, so for someone like Morricone to say yes, when he has said no to ‘bigger’ names
would be flattering to an artist like Morrissey. Nothing wrong with him pointing that out and showing pride in it.
I'm a Morrissey fan. Fact.

I understand what you mean, Ketamine, but I must confess to have felt a bit unconfortable by Moz mentioning the ones who were rejected by EM. Not necessary. Not elegant. He didn't need to do that in a note meant to celebrate Ennio Morricone's contribution to music in general, and to his music in particular.

Anyway, that's our Morrissey!

Love him or leave him.

I love him, so I stay.

I'm a Morrissey fan. Fact.

I understand what you mean, Ketamine, but I must confess to have felt a bit unconfortable by Moz mentioning the ones who were rejected by EM. Not necessary. Not elegant. He didn't need to do that in a note meant to celebrate Ennio Morricone's contribution to music in general, and to his music in particular.

Anyway, that's our Morrissey!

Love him or leave him.

I love him, so I stay.

I think it’s totally necessary.

Love him or leave him.

I love him, so I stay.’

Ok, stay, but don’t complain. ;)

He was just complimenting Morricone on having incredibly good taste in music, which
must have helped in deciding to work with Morrissey.

:tiphat:

Last edited:
Yes of course. Just saying he must have heard a recording of it before deciding to do it. I mean, his decision
must have been based on more than just pleasing his granddaughter.

The vocal melody is great, though I wish he sang it a tiny bit lower, to give it a little weight. I don’t know how else to describe it.

Wish Leonard Cohen would have covered it. In that low singing/talking intimate delivery of his.

Don’t care for Marianne Faithfull’s cover much.
I think the high vocal is outstanding. It sounds so vulnerable, quite unusual for 2000s Moz.

I don't ever listen to the Marianne Faithful cover because I don't enjoy it but I think it's a very interesting take nonetheless.

I think the high vocal is outstanding. It sounds so vulnerable, quite unusual for 2000s Moz.

I don't ever listen to the Marianne Faithful cover because I don't enjoy it but I think it's a very interesting take nonetheless.

I totally agree the higher register gives it that vulnerable quality, a plea to the heavens above. Which was his aim it seems. I wasn’t taking into consideration when comparing it to his delivery on other songs in the 2000s, but I could see/hear your reason for liking it.

We don't wear blinkers. We see straight through Morrissey.
You must have very little common sense to blindly adore one of the biggest reprobates in music.
My sense is uncommon and I love reprobates, I am one myself 😉

His aspirations have always been to be up there with the greats but he belongs in the sewers.
Time for you and your relatives to start scurrying, Rentokil are lifting a manhole cover in a street near you.

Morricone & Morrissey has got a great ring to it, similar sounding names.

Using a death to promote his album and massage his ego is what it is.
Low life.
wtf...get real...he is not promoting anything....he had the pleasure of working with the guy who is an Italian national treasure...he can't show his homage and appreciation for him?? All of the energy you spend stalking one man is truly pathetic.

wtf...get real...he is not promoting anything....he had the pleasure of working with the guy who is an Italian national treasure...he can't show his homage and appreciation for him?? All of the energy you spend stalking one man is truly pathetic.
Exactly. The only connection Morrissey had to Morricone was working on this album. It's not like they were buddies. I don't think that Morrissey was greatly influenced by Morricone's work either. So what else would he write about? He's just honest here. He values the memory of working with him and is proud of it. And rightly so.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom