Express: "The Smiths split ‘bruised me emotionally, it turned to s*** with Morrissey’ – Johnny Marr" via Uncut Magazine (January 13, 2022)

the-smith-Morrissey-johnny-marr-1549398~2.jpg

By George Simpson.

"JOHNNY MARR has been brutally honest about his painful memories from The Smiths break-up and shared how he talks to everyone from his incredible career except for Morrissey."

Excerpt:

Speaking in a new interview with Uncut, the 58-year-old said: “[The Smiths are] one of the things I’m proudest of. One of the things that I must be proud about – not only myself but the whole group, because that was our MO. Whatever s*** was going on, nothing got in the way of what was coming out of speakers – and there’s a lot to get in the way.

“It’s a simplistic way of putting it, but one of the reasons I’ve been in so many bands was because I wanted to be loyal to them. It won’t come as any surprise when I say that I’m really close with everyone I’ve worked with – except for the obvious one. And that isn’t that much of a surprise because we’re so different, me and Morrissey. But all of these different musicians, I can pick up the phone to anyone, and just pick up from where we left off.

“Everyone I’ve worked with has been great. The only thing that turned to s*** was The Smiths. Which is a shame, but s*** happens. I hate talking about the group I formed in those terms, the group I loved. But, y’know, let’s get some perspective.”

This story was picked up from March's Uncut Magazine interview - here in full:

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

(* page 94 was adverts - omitted)

Note: the Express article appeared prior to having access to the Uncut article - so, the 'media item' became the thread title.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just based on what I've seen on Twitter - Alain's been to see JM live a few times and always praises him, he's been backstage to talk to him too.

Thank you, Amy. Your careful, empathetic analysis of/attention to Morrissey and those around him is a real gift to me, as is that of Vex, Dirk Blaggard etc.)

But I am somehow especially moved by your recent responses to this tragedy with Marr, given your process of disillusionment with Moz over long years.

Last edited:
Thanks for the scans. Hard to believe both Morrissey and Marr are looking forward to free buspasses in the not-too-distant future. People accuse Morrissey of having never grown up but the same applies to Johnny. In fairness it probably applies to most folks who have lived a successful life in popular music.
Can't say I'm looking forward to Johnny's new LP but I'm sure I'll be there when he's supporting Blondie on tour.
I like Johnny's new songs on Spotify.

The only Electronic good songs are the ones with Neil Tennant, everything else from Marr after the Smiths is just a big flop.
Obviusly he has to mention Morrissey, how do you expect people reading his interviews if he doesn't mention Morrissey at least once.
Get The Message was brilliant. Not to mention Lucky Bag (Miami Edit).

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom