Express: "The Smiths split ‘bruised me emotionally, it turned to s*** with Morrissey’ – Johnny Marr" via Uncut Magazine (January 13, 2022)

the-smith-Morrissey-johnny-marr-1549398~2.jpg

By George Simpson.

"JOHNNY MARR has been brutally honest about his painful memories from The Smiths break-up and shared how he talks to everyone from his incredible career except for Morrissey."

Excerpt:

Speaking in a new interview with Uncut, the 58-year-old said: “[The Smiths are] one of the things I’m proudest of. One of the things that I must be proud about – not only myself but the whole group, because that was our MO. Whatever s*** was going on, nothing got in the way of what was coming out of speakers – and there’s a lot to get in the way.

“It’s a simplistic way of putting it, but one of the reasons I’ve been in so many bands was because I wanted to be loyal to them. It won’t come as any surprise when I say that I’m really close with everyone I’ve worked with – except for the obvious one. And that isn’t that much of a surprise because we’re so different, me and Morrissey. But all of these different musicians, I can pick up the phone to anyone, and just pick up from where we left off.

“Everyone I’ve worked with has been great. The only thing that turned to s*** was The Smiths. Which is a shame, but s*** happens. I hate talking about the group I formed in those terms, the group I loved. But, y’know, let’s get some perspective.”

This story was picked up from March's Uncut Magazine interview - here in full:

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

(* page 94 was adverts - omitted)

Note: the Express article appeared prior to having access to the Uncut article - so, the 'media item' became the thread title.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
:)
what ticket sales? the killers/ cvunteers are the one the sell the tickets
nobody attends his dumb solo shows:lbf: despite his 'every 5 min a stupid woke interview' pr.
:lbf:
his non existing singles hit no 1 in the bogus chart but in real sales
none sell any copies(n)

a true katastrofa:brows:

Morrissey did say Johnny Marr was Steven Spielberg’s first choice for E.T. I wasn’t at all offended by that comment just surprised he watched E.T. and knew who Steven Spielberg was.

When did he say this? I've never heard him say that, and I sleep with the guy every night.

Marr has never done anything good aside from his work with the Smiths. Everything else is trash.
What?! THE THE, some Electronic songs, soundtrack work such as Inception, some of his solo work, not to mention the other bands he's worked with.

Marr is a woke pussy jumping on the woke pussy bandwagon, bashing the person it's fun and popular to bash, blah blah blah. Making sure EVERYONE KNOWS he's distanced himself from Morrissey.

Unoriginal, cowardly, opportunistic c***. Gotta make sure nobody thinks he is still pals with Morrissey so that his record and ticket sales remain maximally unfettered. Hasn't written a good song since Electronic and even that music could have been SO MUCH BETTER if Morrissey, and not Sumner, was in charge.
Did you even read the article before you had this shit fit? He's not bashing anybody.

Did you even read the article before you had this shit fit? He's not bashing anybody.
Honestly not when I made that comment; but I have now. And you're right. He doesn't actually bash Morrissey per se. And yet look how interestingly the headline is written...it absolutely contorts and edits what he did actually say.

So, 1 point for you; I definitely spoke too soon re. Johnny (although overall I do feel like in other press blurbs he does purposefully distance himself from Morrissey).

YET...the overall midwit leftist press agenda that I was referencing clearly exists, as evidenced in the way the headline is deceptively written. They assume most people won't read their proselytizing bias-plagued tripe beyond the headline, so they make sure the agenda is what people see, if nothing else.

Honestly not when I made that comment; but I have now. And you're right. He doesn't actually bash Morrissey per se. And yet look how interestingly the headline is written...it absolutely contorts and edits what he did actually say.

So, 1 point for you; I definitely spoke too soon re. Johnny (although overall I do feel like in other press blurbs he does purposefully distance himself from Morrissey).

YET...the overall midwit leftist press agenda that I was referencing clearly exists, as evidenced in the way the headline is deceptively written. They assume most people won't read their proselytizing bias-plagued tripe beyond the headline, so they make sure the agenda is what people see, if nothing else.
Fair enough. The Express is a poor quality, low-rent tabloid though, it contorts everything - manufacturing all kinds of 'outrage' from nothing is just what they do. And unfortunately, Johnny has often given them the 'soundbites' they were after, but not here.

He's flogging his album, name dropping everyone and anything to get media attention.
Him and that horrible c*** McCartney should team up.
They're both disgusting opportunistic failures.
Despicable clowns.

Wouldn't hurt if Johnny just came out and said somethin'
nice about Moz.
Even Johnny's gotta admit that if it weren't for The Smiths,
he wouldn't even be on a magazine cover.

It seems to me that much of Johnny’s resentment and sniping is about the money. A reunited Smiths could make £millions for playing concerts and Morrissey is denying him & the others this money. The son knows that some of this money would eventually come his way, hence his sniping also. Morrissey is wealthy enough not to need to do a Smiths reunion, plus he has no children to leave it to.
That said, neither of them come out of this looking good. Marr’s regular sniping looks petulant and disloyal. Morrissey comes across as grudge-bearing, incapable of letting things go and dismissive of the Smiths as a band. They both seem to lack the maturity to bury the hatchet. Other songwriting partners are very different people yet manage to work together. Elton John and Bernie Taupin spring to mind. However Morrissey and Marr just seem like perpetually resentful. More like Simon and Garfunkel.

It's got to.stage with Johnboy that the only interest anyone could have in reading any interviews with him.would be to see if he brings out a Moz story no one has heard before.

he's a snoozefest , has been for years, only difference is that he's 'woke' now.

as for not being able to pick up the phone to 'the obvious one' (?) If his son would stop slagging off the obvious one on twatter or look -at-me agram that might change.

It's got to.stage with Johnboy that the only interest anyone could have in reading any interviews with him.would be to see if he brings out a Moz story no one has heard before.

he's a snoozefest , has been for years, only difference is that he's 'woke' now.

as for not being able to pick up the phone to 'the obvious one' (?) If his son would stop slagging off the obvious one on twatter or look -at-me agram that might change.

I find it annoying that Johnny has his son who is a bell end who needs to be told to wind his neck in and Morrissey has a nephew that needs to do the same. Morrissey and Marr are musical legends and those two arseholes are a couple of nobodies who seem to want to destroy that status.

I find it annoying that Johnny has his son who is a bell end who needs to be told to wind his neck in and Morrissey has a nephew that needs to do the same. Morrissey and Marr are musical legends and those two arseholes are a couple of nobodies who seem to want to destroy that status.

The difference is that Nile is talented in his own right.

Thanks for the scans. Hard to believe both Morrissey and Marr are looking forward to free buspasses in the not-too-distant future. People accuse Morrissey of having never grown up but the same applies to Johnny. In fairness it probably applies to most folks who have lived a successful life in popular music.
Can't say I'm looking forward to Johnny's new LP but I'm sure I'll be there when he's supporting Blondie on tour.

Thanks for the scans. Hard to believe both Morrissey and Marr are looking forward to free buspasses in the not-too-distant future. People accuse Morrissey of having never grown up but the same applies to Johnny. In fairness it probably applies to most folks who have lived a successful life in popular music.
Can't say I'm looking forward to Johnny's new LP but I'm sure I'll be there when he's supporting Blondie on tour.
“Folks”

The only Electronic good songs are the ones with Neil Tennant, everything else from Marr after the Smiths is just a big flop.
Obviusly he has to mention Morrissey, how do you expect people reading his interviews if he doesn't mention Morrissey at least once.

🙄
And here we have it, senior life has apparently misplaced a comma and is now to be hung drawn and quartered by the biggest nuisance
On solo.
Nice knowing ya senior 🎬

“We’re so different me and Morrissey”. Come on lad. Manchester schools…

“We’re so different me and Morrissey”. Come on lad. Manchester schools…

Yeah, they have a lot of "things" in common, but there's absolutely nothing there now on a personal level. I wish there was because he might have something interesting to say beyond his thoughts on the music, but he's essentially talking about a stranger that he isn't interested in and it has been like that for years.

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom