Exract of forthcoming autobiography - Tate St Ives exhibition book

Re: Forthcoming Autobiography

I hope he never releases an autobiography because I'd like him to remain a mystery.
I don't want to know about love affairs or uses for a tomato ketchup bottle, because his lyrics tell stories and poetical ones at that.

Last edited:

I hope he never releases an autobiography because I'd like him to remain a mystery.
I don't want to know about love affairs or uses for a tomato ketchup bottle, because his lyrics tell stories and poetical ones at that.

You're assuming that he'll actually TELL US anything in his autobiography :D

I imagine it'll just raise MORE questions.

Me too. The entire book looks like an interesting read.

Assuming you ordered from the Tate link, did you get a confirmation email?

Yes I ordered from the Tate, no confirmation email yet....

D:

It's so expensive. Crazy shipping!

WhatshouldIdowhatshouldIdowhatshouldIdoooo? :confused:

Shipping was a bit extreme, but, in my eyes....

Morrissey + writing = BLISS

Even if it's just a paragraph. Or a long sentence. I must have it.

Available with free UK postage from Amazon but 4 to 6 weeks delivery !

If it's anything like his liner notes for the 'Southpaw Grammar' and 'Maladjusted' rereleases it'll be pages of writing that don't actually tell us anything. Some lovely quotes, some brilliant language. But it's hardly anything definitive about the recording of either album.

'That’s why I really keep away from everybody, because I don’t want to be branded, I don’t want to be amongst the herd.'

Does that sound like the kind of man to write an autobiography?

If it's anything like his liner notes for the 'Southpaw Grammar' and 'Maladjusted' rereleases it'll be pages of writing that don't actually tell us anything. Some lovely quotes, some brilliant language. But it's hardly anything definitive about the recording of either album.

Exactly :D - it's going to be great, a fantastic read, lot's of comments about other people, etc but in the end we won't tell us a single thing about himself! :lbf::thumb:

I can't wait!:D

On the subject of this much discussed autobiography ... what follows is a bit like tittle-tattle and, I guess, should be treated as such but nevertheless I found it interesting.

I was drinking in a pub localish to the Albert Hall pre-gig and behind me there was a group of around 6 people discussing this very subject.

I’m afraid to say for around five minutes I ignored my companions and shamelessly earwigged on the group's chat – I’m sorry whoever you are, but really, you weren’t being very discreet and we were all standing outside on a public highway!

It seemed they worked together for Random House and two of them worked on the Ebury Press imprint – that which published Simon Goddard’s book. The group discussed that the autobiography is very much a reality, has been written, and is currently being shopped around by Morrissey’s representatives. They said curiosity is high among publishers but genuine interest not so widespread. Not being treated as a commerical enterprise but rather a matter of prestige. The elder of the two gentleman was however quite passionate on the subject and claimed Ebury were one of two houses with firm offers on the table (when asked by one of his chums he claimed to know the identity of the other publisher but refused to be drawn).

He described having met Morrissey’s “manager” the previous day and had just that afternoon written Morrissey a personal email outlining why they should publish the work and why he himself should be Morrissey’s editor. He explained that Morrissey did not attend the earlier meeting but would instead judge by this email whether they are worthy publishers. If he likes the email Morrissey will meet with the prospective editor along with his management and, face-to-face, read from the manuscript (none of which they have seen - despite assurances it exists)

When asked by one of his chums what was in the email he replied that he was too embarrassed to confess as it was somewhat on the sychophantic side. Also, when pushed on the size of the offer he said he could say but then he’d have to kill the questioner ...

Re: Exract of forthcoming autobiography

On the subject of this much discussed autobiography ... what follows is a bit like tittle-tattle and, I guess, should be treated as such but nevertheless I found it interesting.

I was drinking in a pub localish to the Albert Hall pre-gig and behind me there was a group of around 6 people discussing this very subject.

I’m afraid to say for around five minutes I ignored my companions and shamelessly earwigged on the group's chat – I’m sorry whoever you are, but really, you weren’t being very discreet and we were all standing outside on a public highway!

It seemed they worked together for Random House and two of them worked on the Ebury Press imprint – that which published Simon Goddard’s book. The group discussed that the autobiography is very much a reality, has been written, and is currently being shopped around by Morrissey’s representatives. They said curiosity is high among publishers but genuine interest not so widespread. Not being treated as a commerical enterprise but rather a matter of prestige. The elder of the two gentleman was however quite passionate on the subject and claimed Ebury were one of two houses with firm offers on the table (when asked by one of his chums he claimed to know the identity of the other publisher but refused to be drawn).

He described having met Morrissey’s “manager” the previous day and had just that afternoon written Morrissey a personal email outlining why they should publish the work and why he himself should be Morrissey’s editor. He explained that Morrissey did not attend the earlier meeting but would instead judge by this email whether they are worthy publishers. If he likes the email Morrissey will meet with the prospective editor along with his management and, face-to-face, read from the manuscript (none of which they have seen - despite assurances it exists)

When asked by one of his chums what was in the email he replied that he was too embarrassed to confess as it was somewhat on the sychophantic side. Also, when pushed on the size of the offer he said he could say but then he’d have to kill the questioner ...

Wow, thank you very much for telling us what you heard.
Hopefully the book will be published sometime soon. :pray:

Re: Exract of forthcoming autobiography

I can see Morrissey having the same fixation on publishers that he's had on record labels..

I'm an out of work writer and editor with a healthy, yet clear-eyed fascination with Morrissey.

I've been looking for work in my field for so long that anything is worth a try. Or, in other words, nothing is beneath my dignity. Except not trying. :o

Let us all hope there is some truth to this.

Fulsome thanks go out to iwantocry for alerting us to this. Can't imagine how it would have emerged otherwise. Top job :thumb:

Yes I ordered from the Tate, no confirmation email yet...

I just received a conf email a few minutes ago even though I ordered it yesterday. :rolleyes:

FYI, for people in the US it's slightly cheaper here. Although the book is more expensive the shipping is much less. (Free delivery in the UK too, and unlike Amazon UK it says it ships in 24 hours).

Re: Autobiography content . . .

Though sensuous, there will be no detail to anything of a personal romantic nature within this book and it will only have one print run.

Re: Autobiography content . . .

Though sensuous, there will be no detail to anything of a personal romantic nature within this book and it will only have one print run.

This should be class.

Of course, it will be pure Shakespearian - though one thinks the first volume of Morrissey's life we all know of an 'outline', it is written with Ovid prose within the extensive and beautiful diary of his songs. We are blessed to have a book and a session on Desert Island Discs to savour.

However, it will be the second volume of Morrissey's life that will really set fireworks off into the sky and like the millenium night in London, I saw the night sky turn into daylight - it was just one of the most aweson nights of my life - this is to come for Morrissey and it is Now, driving into Liverpool - the banners read . . . . The Future is Now.

I love you Morrissey.

IX

Exciting indeed to find this. I only went in to avoid the rain.

No title, no dates, just a great bit of Mozzer's writing: p151, "Copyright MORRISSEY. Taken from his forthcoming autobiography." That's all it says.

"How many rent boys and runaways, troubled teens and latchkey children, motherless druggies and mouthy hardnuts, missing-from-homes and mousy Carol Anns? Could this be their spot?"

Surprised this hasn't recieved more attention. This is big news.

Now the speculation begins.....

Cover?
Revelations?
Honorable mentions?
Dis-honorable mentions?

My mind is a froth just contemplating it.

Tags
autobiography
Back
Top Bottom