False Promises

CrystalGeezer

My secret's my enzyme.
So I have a friend I've known for a long time. He's a very sweet person, a stoner, loves to party, probably has some arrested development issues but who is nice to be around, very funny, loves classic rock, teaches 5th graders at a Catholic School even though he doesn't believe in God. He's actually great to be around. We do things on occasion, go to bars and dinner, movies. TOTALLY plutonic. Here's the thing though, he does this all the time. He'll get all amped up about an event coming up, last week we took a hike and he was all excited about the 4th of July, there was this party he wanted us to go to in Burbank. I'm not the partying type, but I go for the company and to insure he gets home safe, I usually drive while he gets plowed. So I call him a few days ago and leave a message about hanging out, nothing. Then all day yesterday I wait for him to call, nothing. Frequently he gets ALL excited about us going somewhere then he disappears the day of the event. In all honesty I didn't want to go because the dogs were not liking the fireworks and I just wanted to be with them, but still, it leaves me feeling a bit empty that once again, totally dumped by my friend. So I've just kinda accepted that that's the way he is and maybe it's a guy thing and I'm a girl and am being too sensitive about it, but it happens over and over and over and it's frustrating. It made me feel so lonely yesterday waiting for a call I knew I wasn't going to get. Also wondering if he didn;t call because the cosmos had bigger plans in mind for me all day. :mad:

Thank you for letting me vent.

:mad: Precious Union. Can we go now? Isn't this enough? When is it f***ing enough? :angry:

KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather
Print this article
One Person Killed, 23 People Hurt in Horse Accident During Bellevue Parade
Originally printed at http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/97767114.html

BELLEVUE, Iowa — The Des Moines Register is reporting this morning that 60-year-old Janet Steines of Springbrook has died from her injuries and 23 others were injured after two horses broke loose at a Fourth of July “Heritage Day Parade” in Bellevue and charged down the street for six blocks.

Police in Bellevue say that a 60-year-old woman has died of injuries she sustained in the accident. The Register identified the woman as Steines, citing a death notice posted on the Web site of Hachmann Funeral Home and Cremation Service. Twenty-three people were injured, including at least two children who were in critical condition, police and hospital officials said.

The horses took off after one rubbed its head against the other, removing that horse’s bridle, police said. The horses, with a wagon in tow, galloped for several blocks, running over children and adults who sat and stood along the streets watching the parade in Bellevue. At one point, the wagon flipped, ejecting two people in it, police said.

Sandie Crilly, 46, of Willow Springs, Ill., said she was collecting Tootsie Rolls from the street with her 8-year-old son, 12-year-old niece and 2-year-old granddaughter when the horses ran toward them about halfway through the parade. Someone yelled to get out of the way, she said. “I could see it was two horses,” Crilly said. “I could see they were running at full speed and they were harnessed together and I knew we were going to most certainly get hit, and as soon as it happened, everybody was crying and screaming.”

Crilly, who was visiting her parents in Bellevue, said someone pulled her granddaughter to safety, but her niece was left with a broken left wrist and had her two front teeth knocked out. Everyone else in their group suffered bumps and bruises, she said.

“It was obvious they were out of control, Donna Jaster, a witness, said.

Another witness, Kristen Jaster, said, “There was probably no way of stopping them without great risk to the person jumping in.”

Jeff Junk also watched it all happen. “They were mowing people over. Little kids were getting mowed over. They were probably going 40 miles per hour,” he said. “I’ve never seen nothing like it, and I never want to see it again.”

Five people were critically injured, five others severely injured and 14 suffered minor injuries, police and fire officials said in a statement. The victims were as young as 2 years old and suffered injuries ranging from multiple fractures to collapsed lungs and abrasions, officials said. Life-flight helicopters flew some people to local hospitals.

The parade is a decades-long tradition in the town of about 2,300 people, located 25 miles south of Dubuque on the Iowa-Illinois border.

“The mood is shock and disbelief,” Bellevue Mayor Virgil Murray said. “We’ve had this parade forever. We’ve had horses in the parade forever.”

“You were in shock because you couldn’t believe this was actually happening,” Mary Martino, another witness, said. Martino pulled two-year-old Raina out of harm’s way just in time. “I just grabbed her and whipped her around to the sidewalk,” she said. “Everyone was in panic mode ... like oh, my God, the horses are charging.”

Paramedics treated victims in a nearby art gallery, Crilly said, and a triage area was set up near the Mississippi River, where volunteers held up tarps to shield the injured and paramedics from the sun and heat. Others brought the injured ice and water, she said.

“It was madness,” Crilly said. “I mean we were in a triage. The town really came together. It was a huge community effort.”

Murray said residents pitched in, making phone calls and sending text messages to get word out that doctors and nurses were needed.

The injured were sent by ambulance and medical helicopter to hospitals in Dubuque, Maquoketa and Iowa City. Ten patients were taken to Mercy Medical Center-Dubuque, nine of them children, house supervisor Carol Dietzel said.

One child in critical condition was flown to University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City, and another critically injured child was in surgery at Mercy Medical, she said. Six children were treated and released.

“We’ve never really had any tragedy,” the mayor said. “Usually our biggest nemesis is if it rains. That’s what we’re always worried about.”

Between 3,000 and 4,000 people attend the annual parade, many people coming in from rural areas and nearby towns, he said.

Iowa Gov. Chet Culver released a statement, saying he was thinking and praying for the victims. “I am especially saddened because the accident happened during the events celebrating Independence Day, which is a day that should be filled with pride and joy for all Iowans and Americans,” Culver said.

What was supposed to be a carefree holiday weekend will now be remembered as a terrifying moment in this town’s history.

-The Associated Press contributed to this report

I had a friend like that, she always made plans and always canceled for some odd reason.

The horses should probably be put down before they kill again.

Anyway, I had a friend like that. I never really figured out what was going on but I did finally realize that she would just say things very casually with no intention of following through. I just quit counting on anything she planned to actually occur.

This other friend I used to know did that because he wanted people to compete for his attention. He would cheat on his girlfriend and try to get his friends to compete. He would try to pit his girlfriend against his friends too, and when he realized I had no interest in that, we sort of stopped talking. I think he is seriously emotionally damaged though, so I am not mad at him, but it's just like... whatever.

The horses should probably be put down before they kill again.

Anyway, I had a friend like that. I never really figured out what was going on but I did finally realize that she would just say things very casually with no intention of following through. I just quit counting on anything she planned to actually occur.

This other friend I used to know did that because he wanted people to compete for his attention. He would cheat on his girlfriend and try to get his friends to compete. He would try to pit his girlfriend against his friends too, and when he realized I had no interest in that, we sort of stopped talking. I think he is seriously emotionally damaged though, so I am not mad at him, but it's just like... whatever.

The horses aren't going to kill again.

About m friend, I've known him long enough and been around him long enough to know what he's doing. It's possible he forgot. It;s also possible that something more interesting came up that involved needing a ticket that he didn't have for me so he avoided my calls and went out with his friends or something, he's kinda opportunistic when it comes to a possible good time, I'm like his voice-of-reason friend that he hangs out with when he wants to act responsible. But if he knows something else going on that involves lines of coke and ecstacy, he's all over that instead. OR being real close to his family he got roped into doing something with mom and was too embarrassed to explain that to me. i dunno, I'm not terribly broken up by it, but it gets old. At least he's not psycho like your second friend, Dave. Eff that drama I say.

The horse thing was just a massive mind baby (even though it's real :mad:) ignore that. I guess I don;t have to tell you guys to ignore my mind babies by now. :p

So I have a friend I've known for a long time..... We do things on occasion, go to bars and dinner, movies. TOTALLY plutonic. Here's the thing though, he does this all the time. He'll get all amped up about an event coming up, last week we took a hike and he was all excited about the 4th of July, there was this party he wanted us to go to in Burbank. I'm not the partying type, but I go for the company and to insure he gets home safe, I usually drive while he gets plowed. So I call him a few days ago and leave a message about hanging out, nothing. Then all day yesterday I wait for him to call, nothing. Frequently he gets ALL excited about us going somewhere then he disappears the day of the event. In all honesty I didn't want to go because the dogs were not liking the fireworks and I just wanted to be with them, but still, it leaves me feeling a bit empty that once again, totally dumped by my friend. So I've just kinda accepted that that's the way he is....

So, if that's just the way he is, why don't you just accept it? It's not like he's your boyfriend or anything.

....and maybe it's a guy thing and I'm a girl and am being too sensitive about it, but it happens over and over and over and it's frustrating. It made me feel so lonely yesterday waiting for a call I knew I wasn't going to get.

It seems to me you want him to be more than a friend. So, next time you're hanging out with him, jump his bones. That's my advice. I could be wrong.

Also, get plowed with him.

Hey, CG. I just read your post and I have experienced much
the same things with people.
I think it's actually really rude to do that to someone and he
could have at least called to say he wasn't able to go and to do
whatever you had talked about.
I would tell him could he call if he can't make it.
The thing is that you set aside the time to do something with him
and then your whole day or night is wasted, when you could
have made plans with someone else.
So, unless he definitely calls on the day of the planned activity, if it
was me I'd make alternate plans so you're not left high and dry.
Life's too short....

Hey, CG. I just read your post and I have experienced much
the same things with people.
I think it's actually really rude to do that to someone and he
could have at least called to say he wasn't able to go and to do
whatever you had talked about.
I would tell him could he call if he can't make it.
The thing is that you set aside the time to do something with him
and then your whole day or night is wasted, when you could
have made plans with someone else.
So, unless he definitely calls on the day of the planned activity, if it
was me I'd make alternate plans so you're not left high and dry.
Life's too short....

Yep. Kinda my new mantra. On facebook today I saw that he was out of town with his best friend down the coast, so it;s not like he was down the street and totally snubbing me or went to the party without me. Still, he coulda called though. Meh, whatever.

So it's like your relationship with Morrissey, then? :rolleyes:

:thumb:

I had (...NOT anymore) a friend who regularly let me/other friends down at the last minute....Planned Holidays ruined, etc...
But his best ever was the evening my Mother had just died.....He told me he would take me for a few drinks to "Cheer" me up.......I waited and waited ( ...Until it was too late to go out anyway....) and he never showed.
He turned up the next day, and apologised....His reason for not turning up being was that "Indiana Jones" was showing on TV ( he already had the feckin' video....).

Then, On the eve of the Funeral, we had managed to get my dad to finally try and rest (He was expecting Mums relatives to Arrive for an all- night "Wake" thing....but nobody came...) My "friend" had the bright idea that it would be ok to Pop by for a cup of coffe....at 4 am....( yup, he'd been out drinking all night....) and woke the family up. ...selfish Tw*T.

Back
Top Bottom