Far Out: "From David Bowie to Morrissey: Tony Visconti names the favourite songs that he worked on" (March 3, 2021)

From David Bowie to Morrissey: Tony Visconti names the favourite songs that he worked on.jpg

Excerpt:

Morrissey’s 2006 track, ‘Ganglord’, is another one that Visconti adores, noting: “Sadly, ‘Dear God, Please Help Me’ and ‘You Have Killed Me’ from Ringleader of the Tormentors, the album I made with Morrissey, aren’t widely available. But ‘Ganglord’ is available on an album called Swords, a B-sides album. I’m so proud of it, and Morrissey still plays it in his shows. It comes from the sessions for Ringleader of the Tormentors, which came about because they’d sacked their first producer. I was a substitute producer, but that doesn’t matter to me.”

The usual Far Out article about another article.

The Tidal piece referenced is a bit more descriptive:

"2006 “Ganglord” (Morrissey):
Sadly, ‘Dear God, Please Help Me’ and ‘You Have Killed Me’ from Ringleader of the Tormentors, the album I made with Morrissey, aren’t widely available. But ‘Ganglord’ is available on an album called Swords, a B-sides album. I’m so proud of it, and Morrissey still plays it in his shows. It comes from the sessions for Ringleader of the Tormentors, which came about because they’d sacked their first producer. I was a substitute producer, but that doesn’t matter to me.

It was a funny situation, because the first evening, when I arrived, I got all the ground rules, especially about meat, because there was no meat in the studio. Morrissey can smell it on you, I was told! But I explained that I’m a diabetic, and I can’t just eat carbohydrates. So I ended up having to go to another part of Rome to eat. I don’t recall what the other rules were, but it was basically that they wanted to make sure I was in a good headspace.

So we made the album, but I started with the band. It was probably later that first night of work before I finally met Morrissey. He I arrived and he said to me, ‘Oh, Visconti, I thought you were dead.’ That was the way he greeted me.

I said, ‘No, here I am, unfortunately.’ So I knew it was going to be fun, because I think he’s a very funny guy. I mean, no one has ever intimidated me, and I wasn’t about to let him intimidate me, either, because you can’t work under those conditions. Other people might be able to, but I can’t work under those conditions. I’d rather walk away with dignity. So that’s the way we started off.

He came back after the first day of overdubs and closed his eyes while he listened to all our work — because I’d put all the guitar players through hoops — and opened his eyes at the end he said, ‘It’s beautiful.’ I thought I’d maybe be on the next plane back to New York, but he loved it and so we commenced to work that way.

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

What happened to the ‘rebooted’ version of ROTT?

Morrissey happened.

Yes

I think there’s a lot of great songs on Tormentors.

For me, it was a step in the right direction after the Jerry Finn production.

Though Morrissey went back to Finn for Refusal, maybe it was convenience, or he liked what Finn
did with Quarry I guess.
So, you. You’re the fan. 😂

"But I explained that I’m a diabetic, and I can’t just eat carbohydrates."
Hahaa!
These cornballs love to pretend that they have to eat meat because it's
the only way to tend to a health condition.
They woulda brought somethin' else in the studio for him.
Maybe he does have a medical condition. ...or maybe, he was trying to politely tell a fake vegan to eat the corn out of his shit. Either prospect is reasonable.

Rubbish rules about no meat in the studio. Tony should have ignored the delusional Morrissey and eaten meat in front of his face. Send Moz home crying.
...or just whack him with a hot cast-iron pan, through his cashmere sweater. BINGO! Now Melvis smells like meat too!

Back to the recording now, lads!

"But ‘Ganglord’ is available on an album called Swords, a B-sides album. I’m so proud of it, and Morrissey still plays it in his shows. It comes from the sessions for Ringleader of the Tormentors, which came about because they’d sacked their first producer. I was a substitute producer, but that doesn’t matter to me."

I've always assumed Ganglord was recorded sometime after the Ringleader sessions since Alain Whyte was not credited as a player on The Youngest Was The Most Loved b-sides. Also, Matt Walker played drums on those tracks -- not ROTT drummer Matt Chamberlain.

"But ‘Ganglord’ is available on an album called Swords, a B-sides album. I’m so proud of it, and Morrissey still plays it in his shows. It comes from the sessions for Ringleader of the Tormentors, which came about because they’d sacked their first producer. I was a substitute producer, but that doesn’t matter to me."

I've always assumed Ganglord was recorded sometime after the Ringleader sessions since Alain Whyte was not credited as a player on The Youngest Was The Most Loved b-sides. Also, Matt Walker played drums on those tracks -- not ROTT drummer Matt Chamberlain.

Incorrect credits on a Morrissey release? Unheard-of! 😉

Maybe he does have a medical condition. ...or maybe, he was trying to politely tell a fake vegan to eat the corn out of his shit. Either prospect is reasonable.

Ya cornballs can't never say somethin' straight.
Maybe that, maybe this, and hidin' behind a condition.
It weren't worked with Wild T.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom