Farmers ask Morrissey to give backing to Scottish fruit and vegetable growers

Perhaps this explains his "mood" last night? Its clearly a dig, as the NFU represents the meat industry.

Morrisey urged to back Scottish fruit and veg - Farmers Guardian

15 June 2011

NFU Scotland has called on rock star Morrissey to give his backing to Scottish fruit and vegetable growers during gigs in Scotland, which kick off in Perth tonight (Wednesday, June 15).

A prominent vegetarian, Morrissey has allegedly insisted that meat be removed from the menu at the venues on the Scottish leg of his tour, which takes in Perth, Inverness, Dunoon, Dunfermilne and Hawick.

The union has written to Morrissey and his record company asking him to use this decision in a positive way as it presents an opportunity to insist all catering at the concerts be based on local or Scottish produce, which would give a ‘significant boost’ to the many fruit and vegetable growers in the country.

NFU Scotland communications director Bob Carruth said: “The decision to take meat off the menu at Perth has the potential to raise a few eyebrows and raise a few hackles amongst Scotland’s livestock farmers.

“However, we have taken the chance to point out to Morrissey and his team that there is still a great opportunity here to support the many fruit and vegetable growers in the country by insisting local produce is being served up.”

Last edited by a moderator:
"The union has written to Morrissey and his record company" - oh, really? How did they manage that while he is unsigned?

Re: Article: Farmers ask Morrissey to give backing to Scottish fruit and vegetable gr

is it really a dig? NFU = National Farmers Union, right? Surely they represent crop growers too

Yes they do, but I don't think for a second that they honestly expect any fruit from this bit of labour. At best it's a cheap stunt, but fueled (in my opinion) by the press coverage the meat ban is getting.

And "dig" was a poor pun!

Weird. :squiffy:

Roll on vegetable soup! :p

Oh my... the NFU sounds totally f***ing boring. Do they really expect the man who sang 'I Know It's Over' to "support the serving up of local produce". Give me a break.

Not sure endorsement would be sensible but I think I could stand another song about not eating meat/ not abusing animals. 1 in his career isn't enough. Maybe I'm forgetting some.......

Jane Zhang in China seems to get #1's all over the place and I understand she's hugely outspoken on being vegan or vegetarian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Zhang

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom