Fiona Dodwell: "Misunderstanding Morrissey: Sparks and the steady drip, drip, drip of slander" (July 15, 2020)

"One wonders whether the vocal Morrissey detractors have delved much beyond the surface of NME's clickbait headlines and the lefty identity politics of formerly reputable publications like The Guardian."

FWD.

Related item:

The amount of Morrissey detractors whose posts would be condemned for racism if they were famous or went viral is surprising.

I don't think you know what's going on or how easy it is to get condemned.

But the name alone would set alarm bells ringing for a lot of people, no?
What is alarming about the name For Britain? No different really to say Scottish National Party...just names for parties that are based in the UK.

You just don’t believe in free speech, no need to go apeshit about it.

I think that you and ordinaryboy86 are talking about two different things.

There is free speech and then there is hate speech.

But I don’t think ordinaryboy86 thinks about the consequences of shutting down or canceling those that express themselves through hate speech. No one in their right mind would condone such behavior, but It has to be treated in a different manner than just curtailing their right and freedom to do so.

Repressing someone from expressing their opinions no matter how ugly we think their words are can just make things worse. It may be better to hear them out and through debate hopefully they’ll see how wrong their hateful opinions are.

Of course some will say... then who decides what is and is not hate speech? but I think hate speech is pretty obvious when one hears it.

You're talking to a goofy girl that hates national identity and pride. She believes in Mass immigration and cancel culture

The Scottish National Party had accusations of fascism levelled at it for years before reinventing itself as centre left. Nicola Sturgeon has said she's uncomfortable with the name. It's officially civic nationalism but it does occasionally break into blood & soil.

I'm not keen on nationalism - but I accept there's an argument for self-determination & smaller political units.

I can tell you that - Russian propaganda. It put out so many alarming stories about Germany covering up a spike in the rape statistics caused by male refugees that left-wing feminist groups I belonged to split, with some saying it was racist to talk about it & some saying it was sexist not to.

He'll have picked it up from a feminist. Probably Anne Marie. There isn't any doubt he genuinely thought women's rights were being sacrificed to avoid difficult conversations & in the UK that was actually true in some cases.

Here's an article about one of Russia's least subtle propaganda campaigns:

lol

🤒
WTF????

🍾

you need another swig to be coherent.:lbf:

Stop talking like you know me, and joking about alcoholism, I’ve lost mates through alcoholism, ive just lost my dad through alcoholism and suicide, I’m in my 4th month of sobriety, I’ll never touch a drop again, anyone that thinks it’s f***in funny or a subject of ridicule, come and f***in say it to me

“Free speech”, why don’t you call it what it is in your mind, the right to be an arsehole with impunity, so no, I don’t believe in that. Do you think it’s ok to call someone a n***** or a puff, or a dike, to incite religious & racial wars, or the kind of “free speech” that protests against gay marriages, does all that fall within your boundaries of allowed free speech.
Who are you suggesting connected to this site is saying or doing anything you've mentioned in your post? Why is it folk like yourself keep exaggerating everything to the Nth degree? Things that are not part of the debate in any way just getting added on to make everything seem way worse than it ever is. Need to calm down and stick to facts, actions or quotes within original context.

I think that you and ordinaryboy86 are talking about two different things.

There is free speech and then there is hate speech.

But I don’t think ordinaryboy86 thinks about the consequences of shutting down or canceling those that express themselves through hate speech. No one in their right mind would condone such behavior, but It has to be treated in a different manner than just curtailing their right and freedom to do so.

Repressing someone from expressing their opinions no matter how ugly we think their words are can just make things worse. It may be better to hear them out and through debate hopefully they’ll see how wrong their hateful opinions are.

Of course some will say... then who decides what is and is not hate speech? but I think hate speech is pretty obvious when one hears it.

Moz can get his facts wrong & he can be scathing - but when you see all the quotes they cobble together compared with everything else he's said - it doesn't amount to hate speech & certainly isn't justifying child rape.

It's a breakdown in communications.

What is alarming about the name For Britain? No different really to say Scottish National Party...just names for parties that are based in the UK.

History - only right-wing fringe parties or groups have tended to use it.

Having said that George Galloway has been promoting a hard left British Workers Party.

So we're in weird times.

Actually this is the name 👇 but still a Britain where I wouldn't expect it. (& his timeline - right-wingers, left-wingers, Guardian haters, Russia Today, Assange - it's the fringe motherload).

20200716_163134.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom