Fiona Dodwell: "The Mythology Of Morrissey" (November 16, 2021)

1_-bn_g7an3bTH58zeZszaQA.jpeg

The evolution of an artist who became the most misunderstood and misrepresented icon of our time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again? This is beginning to look like a mental condition! She is obsessed with writing the same thing, over and over again. A bit of creativity in her topical choices would do her a world of good.

They say that you should never have to explain a joke. This woman has made a habit of it.

Enough.

The usual suspects applaud on Twitter how wonderfully Fiona has written this "once again". Honestly, anyone with a modicum of objective judgement looks at her constant promotion of the only real true and uncomfortable artist on this planet with scepticism, at the very least. It doesn't matter what she writes and it does NOTHING to change the state of affairs that Morrissey has lost the majority of his fans, not because of the "nasty" media but because of what he has said and lost musically/artistically. The people didn't run away because they read a negative report about him in the media. No, they are even partly smart enough to recognise if the artist still gives you as much as he did 20-35 years ago. It's a long way from Manchester to the Hollywood Hills. I wish him a lot that he can get to grips with this again instead of applauding when people like Dodwell demonise the media for everything that went wrong in the past 15 years or so.

Another repetitive, copy and paste "article", containing levels of unquestioning sycophancy that would make Kim Jong-un wince.

"Where there is silence from Morrissey, his critics speak for him. Where there are words from Morrissey, the critics interpret them."

When it comes to his views on race, Kevin Spacey, wearing a lapel badge of a far right party etc, he hasn't left any room for misinterpretation. If only he'd kept his gob shut, he might still have a record deal.

Having a very low public profile hasn't hurt the careers of say Dylan, Kate Bush or Kraftwerk's Ralf Hutter.

Another repetitive, copy and paste "article", containing levels of unquestioning sycophancy that would make Kim Jong-un wince.

"Where there is silence from Morrissey, his critics speak for him. Where there are words from Morrissey, the critics interpret them."

When it comes to his views on race, Kevin Spacey, wearing a lapel badge of a far right party etc, he hasn't left any room for misinterpretation. If only he'd kept his gob shut, he might still have a record deal.

Having a very low public profile hasn't hurt the careers of say Dylan, Kate Bush or Kraftwerk's Ralf Hutter.

Bollocks. There's been plenty of misinterpretation & outright lying.

I like Fiona and it's nice to have someone fighting Morrissey's corner for a change.
Great T Shirt as well Moz.
Certain people, in certain corners, can be liabilities.

Nevertheless, given the ease with which Morrissey could find an articulate and illuminating champion (and he did ‘employ’ Fiona to write sleeve notes, and this crap will end up plastered on his website I expect), you have to admire his capacity for finding a hard way to do absolutely everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
The irony is that Dodwell seems oblivious to the fact that as a self-published 'blog critic' this is exactly what she does. She spins anything negative that comes out of Morrissey's mouth into something positive, or tells us it's some brave truth-telling that lesser artists would be afraid to say. She interprets his words just as a much as any 'hater', just to the opposite degree - that's what all her blog posts are: interpreting him, and telling us that Morrissey is always right.

I've got no problem with Dodwell being an adoring fan, but her articles are so one-sided they are utterly pointless as journalism. All her articles can be boiled down to "I wuv you Morrissey, you are the greatest and everything you do or say is amazing". She's a sycophantic cheerleader who lacks any objectivity whatsoever. I think the only interesting articles you're going to get on the subject is from someone who can see Morrissey in the round, and observe his flaws as well as his positive attributes. That's what makes him an interesting person, to me at least.

The usual suspects applaud on Twitter how wonderfully Fiona has written this "once again". Honestly, anyone with a modicum of objective judgement looks at her constant promotion of the only real true and uncomfortable artist on this planet with scepticism, at the very least. It doesn't matter what she writes and it does NOTHING to change the state of affairs that Morrissey has lost the majority of his fans, not because of the "nasty" media but because of what he has said and lost musically/artistically. The people didn't run away because they read a negative report about him in the media. No, they are even partly smart enough to recognise if the artist still gives you as much as he did 20-35 years ago. It's a long way from Manchester to the Hollywood Hills. I wish him a lot that he can get to grips with this again instead of applauding when people like Dodwell demonise the media for everything that went wrong in the past 15 years or so.

It is because of the media. The NME's lie about Finsbury Park did a huge amount of damage. The press wouldn't have reacted the way they did without that groundwork.

I've got no problem with Dodwell being an adoring fan, but her articles are so one-sided they are utterly pointless as journalism. All her articles can be boiled down to "I wuv you Morrissey, you are the greatest and everything you do or say is amazing". She's a sycophantic cheerleader who lacks any objectivity whatsoever.
I don't think the main problem is the lack of objectivity. It's the complete lack of insight. You could write interesting essays from a fan's perspective, but you'd have to find fresh ways to look at Morrissey and his art. Fiona just recycles anything positive ever said about Morrissey, usually in bad prose.

I don't think the main problem is the lack of objectivity. It's the complete lack of insight. You could write interesting essays from a fan's perspective, but you'd have to find fresh ways to look at Morrissey and his art. Fiona just recycles anything positive ever said about Morrissey, usually in bad prose.

"It's the complete lack of insight."

Sadly, these words could be used in respect of Morrissey. You'd think that after the first of these "Stop me if you think you've hear this one before" articles, a more emotional grounded person would ask her to dial it down a bit.

Exclusively? Interesting.

Yeah, it is. Targeting someone's sexuality & ignoring their mental health issues is a breach of ethics & they know it.

I was expecting some pushback & there isn't any. Just private acknowledgement that it shouldn't have happened.

:rolleyes:
'you wish him a lot that he can get to grips with this again instead
of applauding' WTF? what language is this?🤨
non sensical psycho babble?.:handpointup:

:hammer:

Yeah, it is. Targeting someone's sexuality & ignoring their mental health issues is a breach of ethics & they know it.

I was expecting some pushback & there isn't any. Just private acknowledgement that it shouldn't have happened.
As I understand it, you are very fixated on Finsbury 1992 and want that as a possible argument for everything that came after? A bit easy, isn't it.

As I understand it, you are very fixated on Finsbury 1992 and want that as a possible argument for everything that came after? A bit easy, isn't it.

Ive had the same discussion with Nerak and she's convinced that was the start of it, I was around at the time and I can't remember anyone making a deal out of it whether a Morrissey fan or not?

It's exactly what happened. It's provable just from the press coverage - but it's been confirmed by a few reliable sources now.

Ive had the same discussion with Nerak and she's convinced that was the start of it, I was around at the time and I can't remember anyone making a deal out of it whether a Morrissey fan or not?

It's referred back to in nearly every article that denounces him. Talk to any journalist & that's a major part of his narrative.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom