Fiona Dodwell: "The Mythology Of Morrissey" (November 16, 2021)

1_-bn_g7an3bTH58zeZszaQA.jpeg

The evolution of an artist who became the most misunderstood and misrepresented icon of our time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive had the same discussion with Nerak and she's convinced that was the start of it, I was around at the time and I can't remember anyone making a deal out of it whether a Morrissey fan or not?
I was around too: references, direct and oblique, endured in the music press for years.

As I understand it, you are very fixated on Finsbury 1992 and want that as a possible argument for everything that came after? A bit easy, isn't it.
Well it all started back then. Or even before. Had twitter been around at that time the faux outrage would have been much the same. Remember that Q-interview from that period?
Morrissey hasn't changed, but the world has, unfortunately.

Ive had the same discussion with Nerak and she's convinced that was the start of it, I was around at the time and I can't remember anyone making a deal out of it whether a Morrissey fan or not?
I read it in the NME thread and it's quite obsessive. I just wonder if little niceties like "Migrant boats mean migrant votes" then go under the radar of hardcore fans? Talking about "It's all the fake news fault".

Well it all started back then. Or even before. Had twitter been around at that time the faux outrage would have been much the same. Remember that Q-interview from that period?
To be fair, in the context of today there would’ve been good recordings of the show; so the NME would’ve been exposed as malignant liars.

It's referred back to in nearly every article that denounces him. Talk to any journalist & that's a major part of his narrative.

Maybe but back then, all of my mates were gig going Morrissey fans and nobody batted an eyelid at what the NME printed, fast forward to 2017 when he started to make comments on Waters and Robinson and plenty of people commented on what he said. There were a few members on here listening to the BBC6 concert and we were commenting on how good the new stuff sounded and then he made the Waters comment and many commented on why the f*** has he just said that.

I read it in the NME thread and it's quite obsessive. I just wonder if little niceties like "Migrant boats mean migrant votes" then go under the radar of hardcore fans?
"Blacks and whites will never get on, the French and British will never get on"
Did that get under your, or Skinny's or other hardcore fans radar back then I wonder, if you're ever so sensitive about those things now... Not to mention the flag-waving, the skinhead-imagery, Bengali, Asian Rut, NF Disco and so on...

I read it in the NME thread and it's quite obsessive. I just wonder if little niceties like "Migrant boats mean migrant votes" then go under the radar of hardcore fans?

He wasn't attacking migrants, he was saying that politicians were ignoring problems because it wasn't a vote winner. Something that's a continual theme in political journalism - which is why it rarely gets brought up.

Did that get under your, or Skinny's or other hardcore fans radar back then I wonder...
I am not as fixated on Finsbury as the seed of all evil as others here. What does that mean? A great conspiracy against him? The lust for the fall of great stars is huge everywhere on this planet. Look at what Freddy Mercury or Elton John had to endure and dealt with better (because more offensively) than Morrissey. Take the Spiegel interview or my quote from above. I'm more interested in his blubber from the last few years, which he would like to sell as freedom of speech, if possible without argument.

Did that get under your, or Skinny's or other hardcore fans radar back then I wonder, if you're ever so sensitive about those things now... Not to mention the flag-waving, the skinhead-imagery, Bengali, Asian Rut, NF Disco and so on...

It was the NME who first took quotes out of context & put them in a list to damn him with.

A thing that's been copied ever since.

Andrew Collins admitted they were faux racist but was still trying to pretend Moz used 'racist imagery' & hid behind their one black journalist.

20210904_175653.jpg

He wasn't attacking migrants, he was saying that politicians were ignoring problems because it wasn't a vote winner. Something that's a continual theme in political journalism - which is why it rarely gets brought up.
A very one-dimensional view of things and almost the answer of a politician himself to make things with a negative core appear positive. You do that well, one could almost believe you. At one point you were a bit more objective, Karen.

The latter ‘brick’ quote came straight from the pen of Steven Wells: Quantick acquaintance ‘funnily’ enough.

Quantick really hates him. Although David Stubbs is the one who went to town over it for whatever twisted reason.

A very one-dimensional view of things and almost the answer of a politician himself to make things with a negative core appear positive. You do that well, one could almost believe you. At one point you were a bit more objective, Karen.

Phranc - I am objective. I would have gone where the evidence took me & I would have defended his art if I couldn't defend his behaviour.

When he was accused of racism (yet again) for being against halal slaughter in 2016 you can see him getting more obsessed with trying to work out why they'd say that - political correctness seemed a likely explanation.

In reality it was just Hadley Freeman taking a cheap shot because she (for good reason) dislikes George Galloway & Moz hadn't clarified what he liked or knew about him.

Another repetitive, copy and paste "article", containing levels of unquestioning sycophancy that would make Kim Jong-un wince.

"Where there is silence from Morrissey, his critics speak for him. Where there are words from Morrissey, the critics interpret them."

When it comes to his views on race, Kevin Spacey, wearing a lapel badge of a far right party etc, he hasn't left any room for misinterpretation. If only he'd kept his gob shut, he might still have a record deal.

Having a very low public profile hasn't hurt the careers of say Dylan, Kate Bush or Kraftwerk's Ralf Hutter.

'He hasn't left any room for misinterpretation'.
His views on race? Moz is a big fan of James Baldwin. I guess that tells you quite a lot about his views on racial politics in America?
Kevin Spacey - Moz suggested that sexual impropriety is grey, not black and white. Strange for a fan of Oscar Wilde? He also stated clearly his detestation of sexual violence. No misinterpretation on that issue. He is a feminist, after all.
He wore a lapel badge of a party that wants to ban religious slaughter. Quelle surprise.
Sounds like you have a very different interpretation than I do.

Had Twitter existed at the time, The Smiths would have been cancelled and blacklisted back in 1986 when Morrissey called reggae "a glorification of black supremacy" and "to get on Top Of The Pops these days, one has to be, by law, black".

Had Twitter existed at the time, The Smiths would have been cancelled and blacklisted back in 1986 when Morrissey called reggae "a glorification of black supremacy" and "to get on Top Of The Pops these days, one has to be, by law, black".
Indeed, thank you.
Wonder what the current Phranc or Skinny or other former fans would have done back then?
Join the faux outrage-brigade or remain loyal to The Smiths? We already know the answer ;)

'He hasn't left any room for misinterpretation'.
His views on race? Moz is a big fan of James Baldwin. I guess that tells you quite a lot about his views on racial politics in America?
Kevin Spacey - Moz suggested that sexual impropriety is grey, not black and white. Strange for a fan of Oscar Wilde? He also stated clearly his detestation of sexual violence. No misinterpretation on that issue. He is a feminist, after all.
He wore a lapel badge of a party that wants to ban religious slaughter. Quelle surprise.
Sounds like you have a very different interpretation than I do.
"His views on race? Moz is a big fan of James Baldwin"

I sure thats a great comfort to the "sub species" Chinese.

"He is a feminist, after all."

"People know exactly what's going on," he reportedly said when asked about Weinstein inviting actresses to his hotel room, "and they play along".
"Afterwards, they feel embarrassed or disliked. And then they turn it around and say: 'I was attacked, I was surprised'.
"But if everything went well, and if it had given them a great career, they would not talk about it."
"I hate rape... But in many cases, one looks at the circumstances and thinks that the person who is considered a victim is merely disappointed."

Are those the words of a "fully paid up" feminist?

"He wore a lapel badge of a party that wants to ban religious slaughter."

Oh well, thats all right then. Do they have no other policies?

Indeed, thank you.
Wonder what the current Phranc or Skinny or other former fans would have done back then?
Join the faux outrage-brigade or remain loyal to The Smiths? We already know the answer ;)

😶

you have to factor in that none of these surfboards are rocket scientists/they have almost no intelligence and have next to none
language skills. they babble pap regularly.🤒
it is what it is. they wouldnt have figured out what was
going on in 1992, they would have to read NME or some
such cuck publication to 'inform' themselves and then
🦜it out:hammer:

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom