Fiona Dodwell: "The poet without a home: Morrissey has been let down by the music industry" (May 31, 2021)

The poet without a home: Morrissey has been let down by the music industry

It seems inconceivable to his fans that Morrissey still has yet to find a label to work with on his upcoming record, Bonfire of Teenagers.

Now linked to by Central (June 1, 2021)

Regards,
FWD.

The blokes obviously a nasty piece of work.
Who'd throw money at a racist c***?
Or even want to associate with him, well, only fools.
Throughout this pandemic its just been
me me me , the great I am.
Another album written by a man who knows f*** all about life save for what he gleans from the internet whilst hiding in his hotel room.
Narcissistic fool.

As sure as night follows day, here she comes with another sack of doggerel...
You and your COMPLETE LACK OF SELF-AWARENESS make me want to tear my hair out. How can one really be so oblivious to and uninterested in one’s own behaviour as you are? I guess the answer lies in the fact that you block anyone that calls you out, until it’s just you and your bubble of anger and hatred.

viR1JEXo62wh.png

I don't mind her writings at all; she's a fan. End of.
And there's certainly nothing "grotesque!" in what she writes.
At least she's positive re; Moz, so she's OK by me.
I haven't read much of her writing, but she's only restating what many music writers have: that the industry is a total sham and a machine where everything is highly controlled from the artists to the production. We are left to listen to what the industry wants us to listen to. If that isn't enough to make Moz fans upset, I don't know what will.

This part is quite good:

"Therefore, it seems fair to argue that record labels are not too eager to support the iconic Mancunian, preferring instead to sink their funds into the simpler wastelands of what we today call "popular" music (popular of course, only in the sense that radios are paid to play certain tracks to their audiences, or pop puppets slotted into prime-time TV on boring Saturday night talent shows)."

I haven't read much of her writing, but she's only restating what many music writers have: that the industry is a total sham and a machine where everything is highly controlled from the artists to the production. We are left to listen to what the industry wants us to listen to. If that isn't enough to make Moz fans upset, I don't know what will.

This part is quite good:

"Therefore, it seems fair to argue that record labels are not too eager to support the iconic Mancunian, preferring instead to sink their funds into the simpler wastelands of what we today call "popular" music (popular of course, only in the sense that radios are paid to play certain tracks to their audiences, or pop puppets slotted into prime-time TV on boring Saturday night talent shows)."
If he sold more albums they would be more willing to put up with him.

He's box office poison. He's burned absolutely every bridge in the industry. He would have to find some independent label that would be willing to put up with him. Every major (even minor) label will have nothing to do with him now.

The poet without a home: Morrissey has been let down by the music industry

It seems inconceivable to his fans that Morrissey still has yet to find a label to work with on his upcoming record, Bonfire of Teenagers.

Regards,
FWD.

Dodwell, please, I implore you.... bore the f*** off. She must literally sit panting at her screen waiting for the next ‘press release’ from SER so she can cobble together yet another edition of her sycophantic drivel.

I thought I'd read this, but couldn't get beyond paragraph 3, which is just a flat-out lie (my italics):

Taking to his website Morrissey Central last year, he confirmed that his then-current label, BMG, had decided to part ways with him—despite some of the most successful releases of his career under their watch.

I mean, just, No. Some great work on those BMG albums, but absolutely 100% not "some of the most successful releases of his career". Sigh.

Dodwell, please, I implore you.... bore the f*** off. She must literally sit panting at her screen waiting for the next ‘press release’ from SER so she can cobble together yet another edition of her sycophantic drivel.
Someone should tell her she's part of the problem....while Morrissey presses the "self destruct" button on his own career.

If he sold more albums they would be more willing to put up with him.
In order to sell more, he would very likely have to compromise his work thus losing the fans he has. The music industry would insist on more and more control with every record. Who are we to say that the balance he has found, when most artists either die or burn out by his age, is not the best he could possibly do with the music industry in ruin? He has done better than 90 percent. He is alive, working, surrounded by bandmates and friends who are protective and has mostly kept the ideals that make him unique to fans. And his voice sounds great!

I also think most bands who raise funds for records or start their own label are secretly bought by the industry. There's no telling how far the corruption goes. I don't know his strategy behind forcing labels to sign him but it is funny that they do every time 😄 He's making them foot the bill. I'm really enjoying watching his process.

We never really get the whole story when he leaves a record company but it seems to happen frequently and usually on bad terms. While he's with them he blames them for lack of promotion but also seems to refuse to cooperate.
At this point anyone signing him would have to be aware that it's going to be more effort than other options they have, will likely end with him trashing them publicly, and won't likely sell enough to make it worth the extra trouble. On top of that, while Morrissey hasn't been cancelled, exactly, the possibility of it is always there every time he speaks. That means a potential mess for them to have to clean up.
I think that without a record label he doesn't feel that it's actually official. But that seems to be the only thing he gets for signing with one.
At this point he's risking this new record being leaked.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom