First look at 'Shoplifters of the World' film - Variety

46127_shoplifters_first_look.jpg

Oops

First Look at The Smiths-Infused Comedy-Drama ‘Shoplifters of the World’ (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety

London-based sales agent WestEnd Films has released the first-look image for The Smiths-infused comedy-drama “Shoplifters of the World,” which Variety is publishing exclusively. WestEnd is screening footage to buyers at Berlin’s European Film Market.

Based on an urban legend, the film is set over the course of one night in the lives of four friends in Denver, who are reeling from the news of the split up of iconic British band The Smiths. The local radio station is hijacked by an impassioned Smiths fan with a gun, who makes the DJ play nothing but Smiths tracks for the entire night.

The still shows Ellar Coltrane (“Boyhood”), who plays the hijacker. Joe Manganiello (“Magic Mike,” “True Blood”) plays the DJ. The cast also includes Helena Howard, Elena Kampouris, Nick Krause, and James Bloor. The film, written and directed by Stephen Kijak (“Scott Walker – 30 Century Man”), will feature 20 tracks by The Smiths.

The movie is produced by Untitled Entertainment’s Laura Rister, 3:59’s Joe and Nick Manganiello, Piccadilly Pictures’ Christopher Figg. Also producing are Phil Hoelting, Adam Schoon and Lorianne Hall. Robert Whitehouse and Dawn Bierschwal, from Piccadilly Pictures, are exec producing.

Last edited by a moderator:
After revisiting an older alleged comedy recently, namely:
My Life With Morrissey,
I'd pray this new film actually features some humour - fingers crossed.
Regards,
FWD.

The saving grace for this film is that it's actually going to have the songs in it. I've not bothered with England is Mine but thanks for someone pointing out that it's on HULU now. Sadly I've loads of time on my hands so I'll give it a watch. I'm looking forward to seeing Shoplifters of the World now simply for the fact that it will have the songs and it did receive the blessings of the songwriters. Let's hope for the best. Always hope for the best of things. Life is too short to be negative about something that hasn't even been viewed. Also, I'd like to wish everyone on here the best in life, it's difficult and sometimes frightening but there are some beautiful moments and that to me is better than when it's over and there is nothingness. Cheers.

After revisiting an older alleged comedy recently, namely:
My Life With Morrissey,
I'd pray this new film actually features some humour - fingers crossed.
Regards,
FWD.
that was mentioned on here a few times when it came out a long time ago and always remember the cover from my local video shop,its classed as a dark comedy which is probably why it was short on laughs,one to avoid.

The saving grace for this film is that it's actually going to have the songs in it. I've not bothered with England is Mine but thanks for someone pointing out that it's on HULU now. Sadly I've loads of time on my hands so I'll give it a watch. I'm looking forward to seeing Shoplifters of the World now simply for the fact that it will have the songs and it did receive the blessings of the songwriters. Let's hope for the best. Always hope for the best of things. Life is too short to be negative about something that hasn't even been viewed. Also, I'd like to wish everyone on here the best in life, it's difficult and sometimes frightening but there are some beautiful moments and that to me is better than when it's over and there is nothingness. Cheers.
England is mines downfall is that its about Morrissey,if this was a drama about a made up singer it would be fine because jack lowdens performance is very good.the fact that we know so much about M means we cant watch it without looking for clues on his mannerisms and things he might say.

I liked England is mine film ;only slight criticism is that it depicted Moz as too sanguine.

I liked England is mine film ;only slight criticism is that it depicted Moz as too sanguine.
I know, he should have been nastier. And funnier. And they should have held their nerve and not skirted the gay stuff - including James Maker would have been a good place to start there. As it was it was okaaaay but it was a bit of a bland caricature of someone who was a bit weird, shy and sad, but it lacked edge. I'm sure I read somewhere that the script was written before Autobio came out. I can't help thinking what that film could have been like if they'd had the book for authentic source material; or why, once it was published, they didn't go for a re-write.

I know, he should have been nastier. And funnier. And they should have held their nerve and not skirted the gay stuff - including James Maker would have been a good place to start there. As it was it was okaaaay but it was a bit of a bland caricature of someone who was a bit weird, shy and sad, but it lacked edge. I'm sure I read somewhere that the script was written before Autobio came out. I can't help thinking what that film could have been like if they'd had the book for authentic source material; or why, once it was published, they didn't go for a re-write.

:rolleyes:

:drama::drama:

:nomouth:

It was a bit blah but I guess maybe this part of Moz's timeline is the least cinematic. Also the film makers would be very aware that he's still alive despite nearly expiring from Peruvian food poisoning.

Agreed. In old Smiths interviews, Morrissey would talk about his dreary youth and I always thought he was exaggerating things to fit with his persona. I feel like the film created that literal character. It was a humorless character devoid of charm and wit. I enjoyed the brief scene where Morrissey sings with the other band - you get a glimpse of his potential. And of course, when Johnny enters. Just when things get interesting the film ends.

Agreed. In old Smiths interviews, Morrissey would talk about his dreary youth and I always thought he was exaggerating things to fit with his persona. I feel like the film created that literal character. It was a humorless character devoid of charm and wit. I enjoyed the brief scene where Morrissey sings with the other band - you get a glimpse of his potential. And of course, when Johnny enters. Just when things get interesting the film ends.

Speaking of which, Johnny's book Set the Boy Free would make a great movie! Wonder if that is already in the works?

1. Nastier ? Funnier ? Weird ? This coming from someone called Peppermint !!!
2. Last Sentence - because they were stupid.

Hazard
x

If the film-maker wants to create some publicity for this film then using some never heard Smiths music in the film would be a perfect strategy. The die-hard fans would have excitement. The news programs would mention the never heard music also. The websites would mention this also. This is a big move that they should not f***-up.

Tags
shoplifters movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom