Gigwise: "11 Underrated Songs: The Smiths A band with a famously flawless discography" (March 12, 2021)

image_f0736b91-7094-4a62-9f66-07c65aa91777.jpg

Hailing from the unrelenting streets of 1980s Manchester, The Smiths have become one of the most well-remembered and influential British bands of their era.

would make a good album.

Happy as a lark to see Paint a Vulgar Picture on that list. A truly underrated song, and in my opinion one of their most beautiful. The Marr solo is my all time favorite guitar solo.

Gotta agree about Jeanne.
For some reason I never heard the thing for the longest time.
Then I heard the thing and it became one of my favorites.
I Keep Mine Hidden was like that too.

The list has some of my absolute favourites. I'd only add A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours, I Started Something I Couldn't Finish and Stretch Out And Wait.

And maybe Accept Yourself... it's a bit hard to tell which songs are "underrated" though because they're all great.

Nice to see “You’ve Got Everything Now”, “These Things Take Time” and “Nowhere Fast” getting some well deserved love. All great picks.

Jeane: I've never been too keen on the stomping guitar on this....I 'd have preferred Marr's Sandie Shaw version with Moz's vocal.
Oh, and Wondeful Woman ? Magnificent.!

Or, "the worst Smiths song ever" if you're Steve Sutherland in the NME in 1987. Twat.
For f***’s sake, that’s frankly vulgar.

I distinctly remember immersing myself in this band for the first time; reaching beyond the studio album tracks to discover foreign wonders like This Night Has Opened My Eyes and Back To The Old House and Wonderful Woman.

If Wonderful Woman didn't exist, my regard for The Smiths would be inordinately diminished.

the smiths never wrote a bad song. The only crap song they ever recorded is golden lights and, as we all know, they didn't write that one.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom