Guardian has been refused copy of "California Son" for review

cover albums shouldn’t even get reviewed. I actually don’t give a f*** about reviews on this album. I know Morrissey sounds good, and I know his band sounds whack. The lyrical content is what’s important, and these arnt even his songs, so what’s the point.

‘The lyrical content is what’s important, and these arnt even his songs, so what’s the point.’

Don’t know ‘bout that. It seems some of the songs have been chosen to reflect his present state of being.

Bit silly of his management - The Guardian has a decent amount of readers who won't get to hear about the album?

Print PAMCo Reach Adults 741,000 Daily
15-34 126,000 Daily
35+ 610,000 Daily
PC PAMCo Reach Adults 1,492,000 Daily
15-34 426,000 Daily
35+ 1,059,000 Daily
Mobile PAMCo Reach Adults 3,347,000 Daily
15-34 1,042,000 Daily
35+ 2,270,000 Daily
Multiplatform PAMCo Reach Adults 5,391,000 Daily
15-34 1,560,000 Daily
35+ 3,787,000 Daily
comScore uses TheGuardian.com

Last updated: 20/03/2019
Is this what you chat about on the cul-de-sac?

Bit silly of his management - The Guardian has a decent amount of readers who won't get to hear about the album?

Print PAMCo Reach Adults 741,000 Daily
15-34 126,000 Daily
35+ 610,000 Daily
PC PAMCo Reach Adults 1,492,000 Daily
15-34 426,000 Daily
35+ 1,059,000 Daily
Mobile PAMCo Reach Adults 3,347,000 Daily
15-34 1,042,000 Daily
35+ 2,270,000 Daily
Multiplatform PAMCo Reach Adults 5,391,000 Daily
15-34 1,560,000 Daily
35+ 3,787,000 Daily
comScore uses TheGuardian.com

Last updated: 20/03/2019
I’m pretty sure they get to hear about it elsewhere. However, I’m not big on banning newspapers.

‘The lyrical content is what’s important, and these arnt even his songs, so what’s the point.’

Don’t know ‘bout that. It seems some of the songs have been chosen to reflect his present state of being.

Morrissey has done some great covers. I haven't heard all of these but I'm not really getting the point yet. If they were all of the calibre of "Song From Under The Floorboards" and "No One Can Hold A Candle To You" he'd have a great record but I did not really get his Waylon Jennings and Lynn Anderson covers.
I think the problem is lack of faith at this point. It could be a carefully chosen selection of songs he has chosen to interpret or it could be that he's had such problems with record labels that writing and recording a record of new original material seems like it might not be worth the effort.
The one I've liked was the b-side that was actually written by him. These others kind of seem like an Eddie Arnold record.

This is a very petty move by Moz - or his mgmt - probably Moz tho.

Guardian run stories about him because their readership were his fans in the 80s.

What difference does it make? It makes none

brilliant, i find that to be quite funny honestly, when they write about moz i end up quite bored anyway so maybe we’re better off without it

I’m guessing he thinks that the review, even one with not one word written by him, will be two thirds of a critique of him with the album just an after thought. He might not be wrong. Why would he want to do that. I think it a personal issue as this affects him as a person and not the brand we see and talk about. Surface is right though, they do have a good circulation for a paper these days but this move will just be overlooked for those who want to say he’s all about money etc

I’m guessing he thinks that the review, even one with not one word written by him, will be two thirds of a critique of him with the album just an after thought. He might not be wrong. Why would he want to do that. I think it a personal issue as this affects him as a person and not the brand we see and talk about. Surface is right though, they do have a good circulation for a paper these days but this move will just be overlooked for those who want to say he’s all about money etc
Good circulation? Why does their website constantly beg for alms?

This is a very petty move by Moz - or his mgmt - probably Moz tho.

Guardian run stories about him because their readership were his fans in the 80s.

What difference does it make? It makes none

It does make a difference. He's taking away their opportunity to make more money off him.

They run stories about him because his name gets clicks. Whether this is because their readers were repressed Smiths apostles in the haties or otherwise, they write about him because he's a profitable subject.

I applaud this decision, whoever made it.

I never liked the idea of reviews anyway. It's just one person's opinion. These things are subjective. Listen to the album yourself if you're interested, and decide for yourself whether or not you like it.

It does make a difference. He's taking away their opportunity to make more money off him.

They run stories about him because his name gets clicks. Whether this is because their readers were repressed Smiths apostles in the haties or otherwise, they write about him because he's a profitable subject.

I applaud this decision, whoever made it.

I never liked the idea of reviews anyway. It's just one person's opinion. These things are subjective. Listen to the album yourself if you're interested, and decide for yourself whether or not you like it.
Very reasoned and indeed correct reply - which is very rare around here.

I can't see the point of The Guardian getting defensive for not having a copy of the album. What for? Independently of the album being good or bad, they're going to dilapidate him throwing bad critics anyway. They won't judge the album for its musical value, they will just use it as an excuse to slap Morrissey.

Morrissey has done some great covers. I haven't heard all of these but I'm not really getting the point yet. If they were all of the calibre of "Song From Under The Floorboards" and "No One Can Hold A Candle To You" :thumb: he'd have a great record but I did not really get his Waylon Jennings and Lynn Anderson covers.
I think the problem is lack of faith at this point. It could be a carefully chosen selection of songs he has chosen to interpret or it could be that he's had such problems with record labels that writing and recording a record of new original material seems like it might not be worth the effort.
The one I've liked was the b-side that was actually written by him. These others kind of seem like an Eddie Arnold record.

You didn’t get (enjoy?) the W Jennings and Anderson cover, I did very much.

He may have lost faith in BMG, or thought it would be nice to just do a covers record, I’ve been hoping for one from him for quite a while.

I’m sure he did carefully choose which songs to do, there are some strange song choices to me, especially the Carly Simon song.. those lyrics are either odd or just badly written, I can’t tell. The Dylan song was a nice surprise. Would have preferred a different Phil Ochs song, Phil has better songs, which is why I feel he chose certain songs for very personal or specific reasons.

Really looking forward to the Buffy Saint Marie, Joni, Hardin,and Melanie song. And to hear the record as a whole.

I also like the recent B-sides.

I'm so happy by the release of Lady Willpower that I won't waste my time saying The Guardian should buy the albums they want to review. It doesn't seem to be a huge amount of money to spend in an album they seem to be interested in reviewing. Gifts are just that, they can't be demanded, they just should be appreciated when they are received.

Tags
california son info california sun guardian review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom