Harsh RAH Review in Times, Thursday

The Cat's Mother

Unmentionable
By Priya Elan in the Times2 supplement.

Filerahtimesoct2000005.jpg

I can't get the thing to scan full size for some reason, but you can read the feature online HERE

Priya, from where I'm sitting, your report is distinctly lacking in Elan.

They can get f***ed, at least do some research for your cruddy article. He re-enacted the Swindon incident, did he? He's been doing it for years.

What the hell is wrong with this journalist or better so called journalist.....
Cheers Moz

They can get f***ed, at least do some research for your cruddy article. He re-enacted the Swindon incident, did he? He's been doing it for years.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I'd agree with the review from the point of view of a 'non/casual fan', but for myself I thought the gig was the best I've seen him.

What people should remember is that Morrissey gigs are very geared towards fans these days, which is fair enough, but if a casual fan turns up out of nostalgia I can completely understand why they'd be bored silly. He just doesn't play enough hits.
My brother - who is more than familiar with most Morrissey songs, solo & Smiths - came with me for instance and we were sat down (not my initial choice, but actually kinda preferred it), and he was a lot more lukewarm about the gig than me.

Not to mention the fact that asking the reviewer to 'research' how he ends 'How Soon Is Now?' in the foetal position is ridiculous. From their point of view, he fell to the floor as he had done in Swindon then got up and mentioned Swindon - why would it even occur to them to research this further? It's a mistake, but should hardly discredit the article.

I'm not slagging off the gigs (as I say, best for a while) but people should lay off the casual fans who pass through and are kinda neglected through the evening.

The point made about changing lyrics is spot on.I hate that when he throws in random lines and chops and changes lyrics.

It's a bit catty and harsh but I somewhat agree with parts of it, particularly that he seemed uncomfortable. He seemed more deliberate in his actions than I've ever seen before and I think that's why some were given the impression of indifference - personally, I think it was that he - quite understandably - wasn't 100% after the weekend's events.

I don't like the way the criticism of the band is phrased in there, but of course, I would love to see him flourish at the forefront of a more textured, subtle musical backdrop.

I dont like the changing of words I must say.

The setlists have been poor for the last 5 years and continue to be so both in terms of tracks selected and length of set. 19 songs and one hour 15 minutues for the best part of 40 quid is taking the piss in my opinion.

The casual fan must be wondering what the songs are at times.

As someone who has been to 12 gigs since 1997, I am not particularly happy to hear obscure b sides which frankly most of them were not good enough to get on albums. Morrissey's best years were 1987-1995 yet he almost totally ignores this. Not playing Speedway since 2002 is criminal in my opinion.

The Loop, WDYFOFY, Crashing Bores, IBEH, FOTGTD and HSIN have been played at most gigs since Roundhouse 2008 with the latter 4 played on every tour since 2004. Fair enough if we get a 22/23 song set but when it is 19 it is too repetitive.

I have no problems with the mixing of the Smiths tracks and this tours choices are the only thing I am looking forward to.

No doubt many of you will disagree....

Why should his gigs be focused on non-fans?

To paraphrase David Simon "f*** the casual viewer"

and to paraphrase Morrissey "We should ignore the people that aren't listening, because they are ruining everything"

I dont like the changing of words I must say.

I'd prefer he didn't, but it doesn't bother me that much.

The setlists have been poor for the last 5 years and continue to be so both in terms of tracks selected and length of set. 19 songs and one hour 15 minutues for the best part of 40 quid is taking the piss in my opinion.

I would disagree with the time span, of course, I saw him for the first time in 2006. The setlists at the Aragon, Pavillion and Orpheum shows were fantastic. National Front, Playboys, Everyday is like Sunday, Girlfriend in a Coma, Panic, Why Don’t You Find Out, Stop Me, etc. I was thrilled. However, the YoR setlist I thought was sub-par, mostly because I didn’t like the album, and this Swords setlist looks about the same. I just wish he’d play more of his earlier Solo stuff from Vauxhall, Arsenal, Viva Hate, and Bona Drag.

The casual fan must be wondering what the songs are at times.

I don’t think we should be worried about casual fans.

As someone who has been to 12 gigs since 1997, I am not particularly happy to hear obscure b sides which frankly most of them were not good enough to get on albums.

I’ll agree with that for the most part, the b-sides I really love are the ones he never plays; Swallow, No One Can Hold A Candle,( I would give anything to hear that live!) Never played Symphonies, etc.

Morrissey's best years were 1987-1995 yet he almost totally ignores this. Not playing Speedway since 2002 is criminal in my opinion.

Total agreement. He has a fantastic back catalog, he needs to use it. I’m sure the new material is very special to him, but we want to hear the songs we’ve been in love with for years and years.

The Loop, WDYFOFY, Crashing Bores, IBEH, FOTGTD and HSIN have been played at most gigs since Roundhouse 2008 with the latter 4 played on every tour since 2004. Fair enough if we get a 22/23 song set but when it is 19 it is too repetitive.

I see you’re point, but those aren’t the songs I take issue with. What bothers me is the songs I actually dislike, which is nearly everything off of YoR except the three big singles, Ganglord, Teenage Dad, etc. I’d rather hear First of the Gang for the millionth time than any of these.

I have no problems with the mixing of the Smiths tracks and this tours choices are the only thing I am looking forward to.

Word.

No doubt many of you will disagree....
For the most part I’m on the same page.

I like when he changes words spontaneously, or makes it appear spontaneous, but when he changes lines in three or four songs, and the jokes aren't that funny he should only do it on occasion. Changing a lyric to something less than the original for a joke, and then continuing to sing it that way, is unfortunate for the song.

I like when he changes words spontaneously, or makes it appear spontaneous, but when he changes lines in three or four songs, and the jokes aren't that funny he should only do it on occasion. Changing a lyric to something less than the original for a joke, and then continuing to sing it that way, is unfortunate for the song.

That is my exact sentiment.

Besides, it gives us more to talk about...

Back
Top Bottom