Morrissey Central "HELLO HELL" (April 19, 2021)

HELLO HELL

April 19, 2021

"This is my first comment (and hopefully my last) on The Simpsons' episode - which I know has enraged many people. The hatred shown towards me from the creators of The Simpsons is obviously a taunting lawsuit, but one that requires more funding than I could possibly muster in order to make a challenge. Neither do I have a determined business squad of legal practitioners ready to pounce. I think this is generally understood and is the reason why I am so carelessly and noisily attacked. You are especially despised if your music affects people in a strong and beautiful way, since music is no longer required to. In fact, the worst thing you can do in 2021 is to lend a bit of strength to the lives of others. There is no place in modern music for anyone with strong emotions. Limitations have been placed on art, and no label will sign an artist who might answer back. Anyway, forgive me, we all know this because we can see how music - and the world in general, has become a mesmerizing mess, and we must let it go spinning along unbearably because free speech no longer exists. We all know this. In my case, nothing about my life has ever been matter-of-fact; nothing about my songs has ever been matter-of-fact … so why would they now be? Since my very first interview several decades ago I have lived with horrible accusations to such a degree that it is generally understood that 'this is how we write about Morrissey'. In other words, I'm quite used to it. I've had enough horror thrown at me that would kill off a herd of bison. Accusations usually come from someone with a crazed desire for importance; they don't operate at a very high level. Writing for The Simpsons, for example, evidently requires only complete ignorance. But all of these things are too easy for me to say. In a world obsessed with Hate Laws, there are none that protect me. Often, the scandal sheets (do we STILL refer to them as 'news'papers?) attempt to psychologically wound an artist, and then, hopefully stir up enough hatred against that artist so that s/he is physically wounded. False theories of race are now the most common (and boring) aspect of all criticism, and will continue to be so until accusations of racism are in themselves illicit. I have watched 'Smiths fans' being attacked by the UK press on the grounds that 'Smiths fans' are too backward to understand the person that I am; I have watched the modern Morrissey audience be ridiculed by the UK press with the belief that they, too, couldn't possibly know who I am, and I have lost several high-profile friends because they could no longer live with the night and day harassment from British journalists who are suicidally anguished because they cannot urge the people around me to drum up tell-tale incidents of racism. This battle fatigue I face alone, although I am very grateful to the writer Fiona Dodwell for her eloquent appraisals of the victimization that now automatically associates with my name, and on which The Simpsons latest episode feasts.
People continually ask me why I do not retaliate - especially following the Sky Sports open slander. The answer is explained in the first few lines of this comment. Life is difficult and you must face it on your own, and even with the impossible-to-imagine legal artillary, everything can be repaired … except the human heart.

It is easier for me not to go on. You know I couldn't last."

MORRISSEY
19 April 2021, Los Angeles.

Morrissey_Band_G013_copy_2_vq4iws.jpg

Edit: That picture appears to be by Travis Shinn, from the same session that produced the inner sleeve pictures of Something Is Squeezing My Skull.

Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Both Zowie and Simpsons are in their way using Morrissey as a scapegoat to distract from issues that are closer to their own messy homes.

He also is genuinely powerless & nothing bonds people in the fickle arts industry more than laughing at someone else's failure.

Although they should also remember that reputations change & they could go down in arts history as complete c***s.

The thing that really irked me was Neil Gaiman using it as an opportunity to lick television industry arse as if he'd be thrilled by a Simpsons episode that focused on his wife's accusations of racism & him breaking Covid rules & putting the island of Skye in danger because he'd had a massive row with her & fled New Zealand.

Do you think people who do not know Morrissey other than "That depressing guy" actually give a sh*t whether he eats meat or not?
No, I care that if someone kind of knows who Morrissey is and then is led to believe that he is a complete phony that they might decide not to give his music more of a listen because they have already judged him on something that isn't true. I also care in the truth in general. As much as I think most popular singers such as Bieber or Grande or Kanye suck zebra taint and I wish their careers would all evaporate on live TV I do not want to watch flat out lies in the name of satire be told about them.

If you want to push something that could hurt a person's career then push things that are factual and tangible. As my first post said, if they attacked his anti-immigration stances in an honest way I would not object.

While many people want to paint Morrissey as a far right nut-job the truth of the matter is he is something that doesn't really have a label in the US which is a Patriotic Liberal. He stands up for 99% of the things the far right is against. He just agrees with them on one thing. I believe Morrissey is a nationalist without being a racist. I don't think he thinks non-whites are inferior. I think the feels that England should remain England the same way that Mexico should keep their culture.

I disagree with Morrissey on this point but I can appreciate it. I don't believe that he says these things with any hate. The Simpsons have some axe to grind with him and did so about as dishonestly as possible. It doesn't matter if it was satire, it was a complete miss.

No, he isn't.

He's saying he can't take legal action & it wouldn't matter anyway because it wouldn't mend his broken heart.
You see what you want to see but I am pretty sure if he did have the money to do so he would be trying to stop the show from being aired. Not having the money to do so doesnt equate to him being ok that they also have the freedom of speech to write satire.

He bangs on over and over that people who accuse him and people who left him did so because they read what journalists write when the worst journalists in this whole history is really what he writes himself on his own page, and now his own manager.

All this hurtful stuff. Really. When he was stood on stages wishing death of people for writing books about him or the death of another artist because he doesn't like them, was he being nice and full of love and tolerance?

Woke Culture is ruining people, it’s oh so easy to call someone racist
the irony

People like morrissey and on here have been moaning about woke and snowflakes for a long time and yet when someone says something that upsets them as satire who becomes the snowflake?

He’s not just talking about himself with free speech, look around you- it is being censored. We’re you asleep the last few years. And he’s being cheeky about the music industry, there’s a very small percentage who have deep emotions but since the advancement of technology and cellphone/computer addiction etc. music lost something. If the worlds satisfied in a blue screen coma, it’s not going to write music like The Smiths... plain and simple.
Woke Simpson’s making him out to be racist when the truth is he’s the only one in his position with balls enough to speak out against the bullshit political agendas. Yeah he’s a bit doom and gloom but isn’t that why ya love him? No one does it better
Can we move away from these generic anecdotes such as freedom of speech has been censored for years.

Would you like to give examples of how freedom of speech has been censored?

Morrissey has said what he wants to say, repeatedly. No one has stopped him from speaking on his own website. How could they?

What from what he has said has been censored?

Any examples please of censorship that has prevented people from speaking?

👀

No, I care that if someone kind of knows who Morrissey is and then is led to believe that he is a complete phony that they might decide not to give his music more of a listen because they have already judged him on something that isn't true. I also care in the truth in general. As much as I think most popular singers such as Bieber or Grande or Kanye suck zebra taint and I wish their careers would all evaporate on live TV I do not want to watch flat out lies in the name of satire be told about them.

If you want to push something that could hurt a person's career then push things that are factual and tangible. As my first post said, if they attacked his anti-immigration stances in an honest way I would not object.

While many people want to paint Morrissey as a far right nut-job the truth of the matter is he is something that doesn't really have a label in the US which is a Patriotic Liberal. He stands up for 99% of the things the far right is against. He just agrees with them on one thing. I believe Morrissey is a nationalist without being a racist. I don't think he thinks non-whites are inferior. I think the feels that England should remain England the same way that Mexico should keep their culture.

I disagree with Morrissey on this point but I can appreciate it. I don't believe that he says these things with any hate. The Simpsons have some axe to grind with him and did so about as dishonestly as possible. It doesn't matter if it was satire, it was a complete miss.

I have withdrawn previous snark.

But - Morrissey has never called for immigration to be lowered, halted or reversed.

He's just made some observations about things that had happened.

You are still missing the whole point of satire.

I repeat, was it right that Charlie Hebdo posted satirical cartoons of Mohammad that completely misrepresented Mohammad in the eyes of his followers?

No one is going to watch The Simpsons and be persuaded to not buy a Morrissey album because they did a satire sketch about him.

You speak up against people who you believe are deliberately damaging Morrissey's career when in reality he is doing a good job of that himself.

But then in the same paragraph you state you want the careers of Bieber and Grande to evaporate. What did they do to deserve that too? I get you don't like them but surely they don't deserve your hatred, a similar hatred to the hatred Morrissey speaks ok?

Not sure I want to go too deeply into your point re nationalism and his "he feels that England should remain England" but I can't ignore it.

What is this English culture that you think he wants to remain?

I have withdrawn previous snark.

But - Morrissey has never called for immigration to be lowered, halted or reversed.

He's just made some observations about things that had happened.

give me a break. You twist words to fit your conscience/blind defence.

Being a poster boy for anti immigration party For Britain including wearing their badge on TV?
Not against immigration?

Supporting a party whose leader consistently states there is a deliberate plan to replace whites in Europe.
Not against immigration?

When he posted on his own page a video from a far right blogger who ranted on stating rapes and terrorism is a result of immigration.
Not against immigration?

When Morrissey said in relation to his support for the first political party in his life:

"the first time in my life that I will vote for a political party, finally I have hope. ... The U.K. is a dangerously hateful place now, and I think we need someone to put a stop to the lunacy and to speak for everyone.”
Not against immigration?

"Everyone ultimately prefers their own race". Hhmm, I'll leave that one to you without commenting.

give me a break. You twist words to fit your conscience/blind defence.

Being a poster boy for anti immigration party For Britain including wearing their badge on TV?
Not against immigration?

Supporting a party whose leader consistently states there is a deliberate plan to replace whites in Europe.
Not against immigration?

When he posted on his own page a video from a far right blogger who ranted on stating rapes and terrorism is a result of immigration.
Not against immigration?

When Morrissey said in relation to his support for the first political party in his life:

"the first time in my life that I will vote for a political party, finally I have hope. ... The U.K. is a dangerously hateful place now, and I think we need someone to put a stop to the lunacy and to speak for everyone.”
Not against immigration?

"Everyone ultimately prefers their own race". Hhmm, I'll leave that one to you without commenting.

No, it was not against immigration.

Wanting to end violence & have the law cover everyone equally does not require a change in immigration laws. Morrissey's rhetoric was exclusively focused on blaming British politicians & the media for the genuine polarisation that had occurred in world politics.

Anne Marie was mostly pretending to be a reasonable & smeared feminist & her rhetoric didn't escalate until later.

Just like Reel Fountain you can never post the full quotes or look at his timeline because you're a hate-filled bigot.

I repeat, was it right that Charlie Hebdo posted satirical cartoons of Mohammad that completely misrepresented Mohammad in the eyes of his followers?

No one is going to watch The Simpsons and be persuaded to not buy a Morrissey album because they did a satire sketch about him.

You speak up against people who you believe are deliberately damaging Morrissey's career when in reality he is doing a good job of that himself.

But then in the same paragraph you state you want the careers of Bieber and Grande to evaporate. What did they do to deserve that too? I get you don't like them but surely they don't deserve your hatred, a similar hatred to the hatred Morrissey speaks ok?

Not sure I want to go too deeply into your point re nationalism and his "he feels that England should remain England" but I can't ignore it.

You are missing the line between satire and malice.

I do not know what the cartoons looked like so I cannot say.
If they were cartoons of Mohammad f***ing a zebra in the ass and that isn't something he is known for but were trying to show he married a little girl which is in some holy book it would be bad satire. Of course, their response should have been the same level as mine which simply was, "Wow, saying he eats meat is a cheap shot." I have no idea why my very simple statement landed so strongly with you.

Glad you know how every person in the world will react without asking any of them.

The two have nothing to do with each. I think you are just trying to write a clever zinger here. I have conceded years ago that Morrissey is not helping himself.

I hate their music. If I was going to a staire piece on them I would exaggerate the things I do not like about them. However, if they had a big concert and were all caught lip syncing and got "cancelled" over it, I would laugh and be quite happy. If they got cancelled over a satirical lie I would defend them.

There isn't much to get into. I believe he wishes British people were the vast majority of the population and he has made sad comments about how the mayor London can't speak English or something like that. That being said, I don't think he wishes that the entire world was British or that everyone was white or that he'd kill for white rights.

It becomes hard for me to understand how people from fairly hogoneous contries feel about this sort of things since I live in a country that was built on stolen land by slave-owners and somehow a large portion of the population thinks this is "God's Country"

If I was Japanese and grew up there I might not like seeing McDonald's and Starbucks and hearing lots of people speak English. I might not mind. I can't speculate so I let Morrissey opine about those things and his support for For Britain because they are still more progressive than half of America.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom