How do you rate Years Of Refusal, now?

very highly,its really grown on me ,i think each of his last 3 albums have their ups and downs but they are still treasures,i see people like songs i hate and vice versa but i feel when you are lucky enough to hear them live it adds a energy to them,i also think that the smiths songs lately seem flat somehow but to hear these songs sung is what morrissey wrote them for

Outstanding stuff
Cheers Moz

Does anybody noticed that his voice is now much better then in his early years?
The only thing that changed over the years is his voice. Much deeper now, more base and power in it! Mama lay softly... is very special to me. He did it in Hull but refused to do it in Luxenbourg and Antwerp. I think because it's not that simple to sing the melody? Great lyric, 'Life is nothing much to lose but it's so lonely here without you...':guitar: Let's Morrissey the world

It took a while for refusal to grow on me. The release of the singles last year somehow lessened the excitement for me when the album finally came out.

After hearing it live, im now loving it :thumb:
I love mama and am disappointed i aint heard it live this tour.
But all you need is me, something is squeezing my skull and im okay by myself sound amazing live :guitar:

Morrissey should look forward to going back to Alain Whyte and Gary Day. And lose the dodgy keyboard player with the Interpol haircut.

Yes, I give Jesse stick all the time, but, objectively, even if I didn't know he co-wrote it, I DO NOT get all the fuss about I'm OK By Myself. Weak title, weaker tune. And, apologies to Boz, but I never need to hear THPGU ever again. I'd rather listen to The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye. And, for me, that is saying a LOT.

Recording a song without a single distorted guitar would go a long way, too. You can still rock without sounding like an American pop-punk band. In its own way, You Were Good in Your Time rocks. But few seem to appreciate the subtlety and sophistication in that song. In 2009, what is edgier or more "punk" in popular music than a two minute aural depiction of death and the afterlife?

Cheers,
Jamie

I rate it low among the other albums....

1. Bona Drag (it's an album dammit!)
2. Vauxhall & I
3. Your Arsenal
4. Viva Hate
5. Kill Uncle
6. Quarry
7. ROTT
8. Southpaw
9. YOR
10. Maladjusted

but it's still really good on it's own. <3

loved it then and i love it now.

i just wish i hadn't played out THPGU and AYNIM when GH was released.

and BONA DRAG IS NOT AN ALBUM

:lbf:

i tinkered a little with my ratings of it
y0rInJune09.jpg

still, i actually dont think i like it better than ROTT, but i listen to some of it more because i guess its bad parts are just less annoying than those on ROTT :confused::o

Whoever would've thought, a singer that would actually like to sell records.?What a BASTARD!

When you take on the pop music industry your entire career and write lyrics like, "Afraid to show their intelligence, it might ruin their lovely career," and then you come out and release a record which is lyrically vapid. It's a pointless exercise: he has nothing to say. It was released purely to cash in. I can't believe Morrissey has the temerity to play "The World Is Full of Crashing Bores" on his current setlist. The irony is appalling.

No, I'd prefer to focus on the reinvention of "Southpaw Grammar." Lyrics and music that demonstrates musical balls whilst delivering lyrical knockout punches. I see so little discussion of it, it seems fans are fine with downloading the new tracks and moving on rather than re listening to the entire album. He's utterly transformed the album and it is genius. I'm done fighting over YOR. Even Morrissey doesn't seem keen on supporting it, saving it's b-side fruits for yet another indefensible compilation album.

I rate it low among the other albums....

1. Bona Drag (it's an album dammit!)
2. Vauxhall & I
3. Your Arsenal
4. Viva Hate
5. Kill Uncle
6. Quarry
7. ROTT
8. Southpaw
9. YOR
10. Maladjusted

but it's still really good on it's own. <3

I agree with your #1 :bow: 2...3...4...5...;) and your 7-10 are interchangable for me -all depends on the day/mood- in relation to the thread, I rarely listen to YoR. It's okay, it just doesn't do a lot for me (tho Carol & AYNIM get me jazzed!) I've actually been on a Strangeways kick lately.

When you take on the pop music industry your entire career and write lyrics like, "Afraid to show their intelligence, it might ruin their lovely career," and then you come out and release a record which is lyrically vapid. It's a pointless exercise: he has nothing to say. It was released purely to cash in. I can't believe Morrissey has the temerity to play "The World Is Full of Crashing Bores" on his current setlist. The irony is appalling.

No, I'd prefer to focus on the reinvention of "Southpaw Grammar." Lyrics and music that demonstrates musical balls whilst delivering lyrical knockout punches. I see so little discussion of it, it seems fans are fine with downloading the new tracks and moving on rather than re listening to the entire album. He's utterly transformed the album and it is genius. I'm done fighting over YOR. Even Morrissey doesn't seem keen on supporting it, saving it's b-side fruits for yet another indefensible compilation album.

I'll give you Southpaw Grammar, always has been an awesome album but... c'mon, you're telling me the lyrics to Dagenham Dave aren't just rubbish?
There's no song on YOR where the lyrics come even close to being as shit as Dagenham Dave. I also agree that YOR is a rubbish album. A good collection of songs but I want a little more from an album, some sort of coherence. You could sequence YOR in any order you want & it wouldn't hurt it.

Agreed. I still do not have the physical album of YoR yet. I will wait until I can get a copy for about $2 on half.com. The album, at least to me, was not a strong effort. It seemed a throwaway album to me when compared to YATQ and I will patiently await the next album of new material.

Last edited:

Wow your so right after reading this i played the new and greatly improved Southpaw start to finish, and it is fantastic what they've done to it, don't just pick, put it on and do the entire thing it's fabulous. Thanks Vauxhall95

It's a good album, it features the best vocal performance from Morrissey to date. Just listen to I'm Okay By Myself and disagree with me - it's astonishing! Overall it's an album that contains some strong material, its best song, for me, is You Were Good In Your Time, only Morrissey can write songs like this. Its weakest song is That's How People Grow Up. Admittedly it's not his best, but it's nowhere near his worst - Maladjusted, anyone! Comparing this to U2 is just not funny at all.

We agree more than 90% of the time but I have to say I'm OK is very strong. The music itself is not remarkable but how Morrissey responded it to vocally and lyrically is worthy of some of his best album closers. People seem to be loving it live, too.

Having said that, "Recording a song without a single distorted guitar would go a long way, too" is a really spot-on request.

A snippet of my post from another thread:

And is it Jesse that plays Jeff Beck's riff on Black Cloud or Boz? Ruddy hell, obvious lack of Beck's finesse there.

And man alive, Mikey would really help give Carol the extra bells and whistles it deserves.

Would you agree Matt has the snap and some of the finesse of Spencer but filtered through Spike T. Smith (aka Animal from the Muppets)?

Morrissey should look forward to going back to Alain Whyte and Gary Day. And lose the dodgy keyboard player with the Interpol haircut.

Yes, I give Jesse stick all the time, but, objectively, even if I didn't know he co-wrote it, I DO NOT get all the fuss about I'm OK By Myself. Weak title, weaker tune. And, apologies to Boz, but I never need to hear THPGU ever again. I'd rather listen to The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye. And, for me, that is saying a LOT.

Recording a song without a single distorted guitar would go a long way, too. You can still rock without sounding like an American pop-punk band. In its own way, You Were Good in Your Time rocks. But few seem to appreciate the subtlety and sophistication in that song. In 2009, what is edgier or more "punk" in popular music than a two minute aural depiction of death and the afterlife?

Cheers,
Jamie

I absolutely love this album and no it is not because it is by Morrissey. I can tell you quite frankly I do not like Southpaw Grammar or Maladjusted.

Back
Top Bottom