How do you rate Years Of Refusal, now?

skull

Well, we've all been listening to the new album for quite a while, now...so maybe it's the right time to discuss...reconsider, rank it again among the others...write your opinions, or new opinions...I personally like it a lot, more the music than the lyrics, but I really enjoy it.

I listened to it today again very loud. I absolutely love You Were Good In Your Time. I think the words are just beautiful. That is by far my favorite track. I also enjoy Paris and THPGU a lot. I know a lot of people don't like THPGU but I think it is a great sing along kind of song. When I first heard the album, I didn't like Black Cloud at all, and I must say I still am not that fond of it after listening to it over and over. It is my least favorite. Skull has grown on me and is a real rocker of a song. Absolutely love it now. The two tracks I got on my MP3 download, Because of My Poor Education and Shame is the Name, are very good also. I won't go through each song individually but sum up by saying You Were Good In Your Time is my favorite (lovely lyrics) and Black Cloud my least favorite. All in all it is a very strong album. I enjoy listening to it more each time I do. After all, it is Morrissey!

It's horrible, exposing that he is over and as uninspired and embarassing as Tori Amos on her last few albums.

Tho' I do quite like That's How People Grow Up

- JHJ

I still think it is horrible. I still hold the opinion that I liked it better when they used the best of those sessions and released it as Southpaw Grammar. It is sad to say when the last U2 Album, Dave Matthews and the upcomming Phish album run circles around it.

YOR sounds like to me that Jesse Tobias had way too much influence over Morrissey and released an album that Tobias wanted and not what Morrissey is capable of. I expected something stronger and more musically sound than what came out a few months ago.

I feel the same about it now than I did when it came out. As a collection of songs, it's excellent. As an album, it's rubbish.
I can listen to all twelve songs & I really like them all but not at the same time & certainly not in that order, alot of the songs are similar sounding & the way they're grouped together makes them sound even more so.

Although my opinion of some songs has changed:
On release (out of ten):

Skull, 8
Mama, 6
Black Cloud, 7
Paris, 9
AYNIM, 9
Carol, 7
THPGU, 7
Goodbye, 5
Birthday, 9
Good In Your Time, 8
Sorry, 8
Ok By Myself, 6

Overall: 7/10

Now (out of ten):

Skull, 7
Mama, 8
Black Cloud, 7
Paris, 8
AYNIM, 8
Carol, 7
THPGU, 7
Goodbye, 8
Birthday, 8
Good In Your Time, 7
Sorry, 7
Ok By Myself, 8

7.5/10

The biggest change of opinion being Sorry Doesn't Help compared to I'm Ok By Myself

I like it a whole lot...much better than ROTT

I still think it is horrible. I still hold the opinion that I liked it better when they used the best of those sessions and released it as Southpaw Grammar. It is sad to say when the last U2 Album, Dave Matthews and the upcomming Phish album run circles around it.

YOR sounds like to me that Jesse Tobias had way too much influence over Morrissey and released an album that Tobias wanted and not what Morrissey is capable of. I expected something stronger and more musically sound than what came out a few months ago.

Firstly, U2's new album is crap, its an insult to Morrissey and his Musicians. Personally i think you should delete our account on here.
Secondly, why does everyone on here slate Jesse Tobias constantly? Hes a talented muscian and has proved that by Morrissey including some of his songs on his album. If Morrissey approves of him i think we should aswell

vivalamorrissey

Love it -- much better than ROTT, although that album did have Pigsty which I have to say tops It's Not Your Birthday for the epic centerpiece. Quarry pips YoR in terms of album cohesion, but YoR is just so alive and Morrissey sings with such conviction that I can't help but like it the best out of the three.

Quarry was b-side heaven for me, ROTT was also very good (and made even sweeter with Mikey's Sweetie Pie redux). YoR?...yikes. (My Dearest Love should've been on the album!)

I realize Morrissey has grown musically but YOR has its good and bad moments. I prefer the early 90's - Bona Drag especially- but all in all YOR is okay. I just don't play it that much. Just sayin' :confused:

Excellent.

Confident. Assured. Powerful. Coherent and I think 'Paris' is actually one of his best songs.

I like it a lot , more so than ROTT , have been enjoying the songs live also all in all very good :)

Psst U2 good god pass me a knitting needle to puncture my ear drums , pompous crap :sick::sick:

Like it but I don't think its anywhere near as good as ROTT and not quite as good as Quarry. I think he should have gone for more of the brass and horns sound that keeps peeping through rather than the hard rock sound. There are hints all over the album that it could have been really interesting but his love of punk rock seems to have drowned a lot of those ideas. I don't like the heavy use of autone either, I just hate that sound.

But then, who am I? :D

Firstly, U2's new album is crap, its an insult to Morrissey and his Musicians. Personally i think you should delete our account on here.
Secondly, why does everyone on here slate Jesse Tobias constantly? Hes a talented muscian and has proved that by Morrissey including some of his songs on his album. If Morrissey approves of him i think we should aswell

vivalamorrissey

Um because they need someone to whinge about. Thing is out of the 3 composers Alain has written most of the Music on YOR anyway going by guitarist per song ratio so you can't please everyone can you? I don't need Morrissey's approval cuz I think Jesse is fkn great regardless. He has written a bunch of great songs.

I loved YOR when it came out and I love it even more now!

u2? ......pffft :crazy:

Love it -- much better than ROTT, although that album did have Pigsty which I have to say tops It's Not Your Birthday for the epic centerpiece. Quarry pips YoR in terms of album cohesion, but YoR is just so alive and Morrissey sings with such conviction that I can't help but like it the best out of the three.

Quarry was b-side heaven for me, ROTT was also very good (and made even sweeter with Mikey's Sweetie Pie redux). YoR?...yikes. (My Dearest Love should've been on the album!)

yep Quarry was B side nirvana :D

yes YOR is better than ROTT :thumb:

I'm a Viva Bona boy myself if you wanna pull the meat away from the bones but I love all the albums for very different reasons.

It's one thing to not like YOR as much as Quarry or ROTT but to dismiss YOR as uninspiring and saying that Morrissey is over it you are no longer relevant as a fan and it's time for you to move on :)

Last edited:

vivalamorrissey

I like it a lot , more so than ROTT , have been enjoying the songs live also all in all very good :)

Psst U2 good god pass me a knitting needle to puncture my ear drums , pompous crap :sick::sick:

Because not everything he does is "great." Please do not drink THAT Cool-Aid.

I think it is his best since Southpaw Grammar, which I rate highly. The only songs I'm not keen on are Skull and Birthday.

Back
Top Bottom