I like Johnny Marr

Swords is a waste of space and time and I'm afraid and you will never change my views on that.....
"I'm Throwing My Arms..." is probably the best track on Refusal, but I hate the album completely!

Oh, come on. Carol and Birthday. I agree that Refusal isn't a particularly glowing album but those two are great, great songs.

...and on Years of.
We have Carol,mama,paris,All you need is me, Thats how,I'm OK
The trouble with that LP is that a number of us were already aware of a number of songs about a year before the lp came out.
In the future it will be considered with more merit I think. Give a it a couple of years and then go back to it you will change you may change your mind

...I doubt it, nothing beats The Smiths or Morrissey's Early Solo. Time will simply do nothing, if I don't like something then I don't like it

No, I'm not...they are awful songs.
I'm not saying I did, there are good songs he has done...I'm dissing his albums as a whole and I'm dissing a load of album tracks that should never have been put on albums. I could give you a massive list of songs he should never have done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never will, they murder Smiths songs too! So sod that...
Changing TCH was like rearranging someone's face into the ugliest image as possible

Changing TCH was like rearranging someone's face into the ugliest image as possible

Have you ever seen him live?

But the point is it's a live song, it only works or works best when in the live arena.
To not see Morrissey live is to miss the point live is where the boy shines

Look...if I don't like many of his solo songs and I have watched and listened to his concerts through media and bootlegs and haven't enjoyed it, then I have no desire...ever

Johnny Marr did This Charming Man live in The Smiths for about 2-3 years and on bootlegs and what evidence I have...It sounds great

Look...if I don't like many of his solo songs and I have watched and listened to his concerts through media and bootlegs and haven't enjoyed it, then I have no desire...ever

Johnny Marr did This Charming Man live in The Smiths for about 2-3 years and on bootlegs and what evidence I have...It sounds great

Bootlegs are all well and good but a bootleg is nothing like the real thing.
Have you never seen him live?
Live is when the magic happens

Sod it...I dont like his recent band line up or any recent songs, any Smiths covers are shit, as I've just said....

Sod it...I dont like the songs, I've just said....

I am not talking about the songs, as such. I am talking about Morrissey live.
Whether in Th Smiths or when solo, Morrissey has nearly always been fantastic live.
As I say it's when the magic happens- in some ways its when everything in the Morrissey world falls in to place.
I urge you to see him live, forget the songs, watch and feel the event- it's spell binding.
Even though he is in his 50's he still has it, yes it may not be as he was in The Smiths (I sadly never saw them, I was too young) or like the early solo years ( I have been to at least one show for every tour since Kill uncle) but he still has more power than any other artist I have seen.
Oh and to hear that voice live pure, pure pleasure. I am not saying any of this to point score, I just wouldn't want you to miss out on something special.

Unless Johnny Marr or Gannon is on that stage with him, I'm not going to see Morrissey live, that's final...I'm a Smiths fan, I'm not interested. Long Live The Smiths!

I am not talking about the songs, as such. I am talking about Morrissey live.
Whether in Th Smiths or when solo, Morrissey has nearly always been fantastic live.
As I say it's when the magic happens- in some ways its when everything in the Morrissey world falls in to place.
I urge you to see him live, forget the songs, watch and feel the event- it's spell binding.
Even though he is in his 50's he still has it, yes it may not be as he was in The Smiths (I sadly never saw them, I was too young) or like the early solo years ( I have been to at least one show for every tour since Kill uncle) but he still has more power than any other artist I have seen.
Oh and to hear that voice live pure, pure pleasure. I am not saying any of this to point score, I just wouldn't want you to miss out on something special.

I totally agree. And first and foremost: To be touched by the man. Nothing beats that. I still remeber my first time. He was singing, and I was singing along to, "I am human and I need to be loved". Pure bliss. Sure, I only managed to get hold of his fingertips but nonetheless.

And I actually like Morrissey solo more than The Smiths.

I totally agree. And first and foremost: To be touched by the man. Nothing beats that. I still remeber my first time. He was singing, and I was singing along to, "I am human and I need to be loved". Pure bliss. Sure, I only managed to get hold of his fingertips but nonetheless.

And I actually like Morrissey solo more than The Smiths.[/QUOTE]

:sick: No way!!! You did not say that horrible sentance! Your saying Morrissey is a better writer and has better songs and musicians solo?? Better songs??? Try and beat ANY Smiths song...It's impossible, has Morrissey solo managed to make another or at least try to beat "I Know It's Over" or "Meat Is Murder"? I doubt that

And I actually like Morrissey solo more than The Smiths.

Yes I have had the hand touch and few gestures aimed my way it does add.
But even if you are not at the sweaty front it's still something very,very special.
I think whether you like him or not one can not deny he is something special when you see him live- this doesn't include festivals and arena shows though (I avoid these), you can tell his heart isn't, usually, quite into it, as much as the smaller events.
I wouldn't want to see any band at a festival, I loathe them

Last edited:

And I actually like Morrissey solo more than The Smiths.[/QUOTE]

:sick: No way!!! You did not say that horrible sentance! Your saying Morrissey is a better writer and has better songs and musicians solo?? Better songs??? Try and beat ANY Smiths song...It's impossible, has Morrissey solo managed to make another or at least try to beat "I Know It's Over" or "Meat Is Murder"? I doubt that

Yes I did. Everyday Is Like Sunday; Angel, Angel Down We Go Together; Will Never Marry; November Spawned A Monster; I've Changed My Plea To Guilty; Seasick, Yet Still Docked; Now My Heart Is Full; Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning; Nobody Loves Us; Trouble Loves Me; The Edges Are No Longer Parallell; Life Is A Pigsty to name just a few are all equal, or better, to everything that The Smiths ever did.

I don't mean this in a bad way but you seem to have a serious Smiths complex.

Yes, but on some of those songs you mentioned for starters....Mike Joyce, Andy Rourke and Craig Gannon from The Smiths played on some those tracks you mentioned, they are all early Morrissey. Most of the rest are B-sides off singles (which I also like) and there aren't many album tracks apart from the ones I've already commented on.

The Smiths beat Morrissey solo hands down...They always will do, it's just a fact

Back
Top Bottom