I Wanted to Believe in Morrissey (Or His Music, at Least) - Jamie Stewart of Xiu Xiu (2017)

I Wanted to Believe in Morrissey (Or His Music, at Least) - Talkhouse
With Low in High School, Moz commits sacrilege against himself.
By Jamie Stewart | December 13, 2017

Excerpt:

This review of Morrissey’s Low in High School was very challenging. On alpha-and-omega personal levels, Morrissey is hands-down my favorite lyricist, the one from whom I have learned and stolen the most. Though Morrissey might not approve of the religious association here, to me, he is the Father. The albums he made with the Smiths and His solo records will forever be in my lifelong top 10: The first time I ever had sex in an appropriate way was while listening to Hatful of Hollow. I had a Smiths poster on bedroom wall until I was 32. I have seen Morrissey in concert more than any other artist. My brother, barber, and first boyfriend all have Morrissey tattoos. He is very important to me, and I feel unworthy of critiquing the man who essentially raised me musically. Essentially, I want to believe in Him. I have, since I was a teenager, needed to believe.

It was also challenging because His last record was unlistenable. 2009’s Years of Refusal is one of His best ever ever ever, but I couldn’t even get through 2014’s World Peace is None of Your Business. I was shocked—maybe I just hate dogs? Either way, because of it, I nervously entered into writing this nervously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever else can be said of that article, I have to disagree with the opinion that there was a big decline in quality from Years of Refusal to World Peace. The latter (including some of the bonus tracks) does contain some fine songs.
I agreed with him completely. I like Years Of Refusal much more than Ringleader Of The Tormentors and I have still never been able to listen to World Peace all the way through.

Music is not only just about love lost or human relationships...when it transcends into individual political thought, it's just that, individual political thought...I don't have to agree or disagree...I appreciate different opinions and am not out to censure music...

I agreed with him completely. I like Years Of Refusal much more than Ringleader Of The Tormentors and I have still never been able to listen to World Peace all the way through.
Years of Refusal, great name for an album, plus energetic songs with some quite witty lyrics, also a very nice cover. One day Goodbye is my favourite I think, just for the smiling children line alone, lol,

presently Miau Miau and Guau Guau will come here and present their Moz trolls too.:flamethrow:

"The first time I ever had sex in an appropriate way was while listening to Hatful of Hollow."

Apparently he climaxed when Morrissey wailed that the hills are alive with celibate cries.

Jamie-Stewart.jpg
Who is this person and why does his opinion matter? Moving on....

'He is very important to me, and I feel unworthy of critiquing the man who essentially raised me musically.'

yes, you are 'unworthy'.

then again ....

'Essentially, I want to believe in Him. I have, since I was a teenager, needed to believe.'

Believe only in yourself, and just move on.

Ya almost have to feel a little embarrassed for this guy, to go carryin' on in such a manner.
He must need to spend the day in bed and recoup his constitution.

I think world peace is better than yor but I still find refusal to be a very solid album even though it falls flat somewhat towards the end of album. It’s not big among longtime fans, especially British ones, but I think it was popular among the fans who came aboard with quarry. Especially here in the us. Paris was and still is popular

I think that Life Is A Pigsty is better than the entirety of Refusal, but there are a few songs on Refusal that I like, such as Mama and Paris. You're missing out on not listening to World Peace through to the end. The final song Oboe Concerto is probably my favourite song from that album.

I think that Life Is A Pigsty is better than the entirety of Refusal, but there are a few songs on Refusal that I like, such as Mama and Paris. You're missing out on not listening to World Peace through to the end. The final song Oboe Concerto is probably my favourite song from that album.

I can’t decide if mt joy or I’m not a man is my fav song from that album

Reckon what I liked about LIHS was all the 1950's Americana merch and single release cover photos that foreigners gobble up more than Big Macs and Nike and then talk shit about Americans on the internet. All the LIHS merch that was bought from the mporium uk by the foreigners meant that he didn't have to play concerts in Brittin or some Nazi country again. Good on ya foreigners mate in n n n n nnn n n din't n n n it.

Reckon what I liked about LIHS was all the 1950's Americana merch and single release cover photos that foreigners gobble up more than Big Macs and Nike and then talk shit about Americans on the internet. All the LIHS merch that was bought from the mporium uk by the foreigners meant that he didn't have to play concerts in Brittin or some Nazi country again. Good on ya foreigners mate in n n n n nnn n n din't n n n it.

That’s odd as you don’t see hardly anyone wearing a Morrissey T shirt in the UK nowadays, You see Smiths apparel but hardly anything related to Morrissey.

everything gets diluted these days,what was great is now shit.when the the world peace songs were available for download for a few weeks in a row people on here were raving,especially Istanbul,now people will say its garbage and not worth listening to.as for the article,if it was on paper my arse would be spotless for a week.

I really enjoy Xiu Xiu quite a lot but disagree that YOR is a great album. It’s mostly just “meh” to me. I think Wpinoyb and LIHS are both way better.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom