I Wanted to Believe in Morrissey (Or His Music, at Least) - Jamie Stewart of Xiu Xiu (2017)

I Wanted to Believe in Morrissey (Or His Music, at Least) - Talkhouse
With Low in High School, Moz commits sacrilege against himself.
By Jamie Stewart | December 13, 2017

Excerpt:

This review of Morrissey’s Low in High School was very challenging. On alpha-and-omega personal levels, Morrissey is hands-down my favorite lyricist, the one from whom I have learned and stolen the most. Though Morrissey might not approve of the religious association here, to me, he is the Father. The albums he made with the Smiths and His solo records will forever be in my lifelong top 10: The first time I ever had sex in an appropriate way was while listening to Hatful of Hollow. I had a Smiths poster on bedroom wall until I was 32. I have seen Morrissey in concert more than any other artist. My brother, barber, and first boyfriend all have Morrissey tattoos. He is very important to me, and I feel unworthy of critiquing the man who essentially raised me musically. Essentially, I want to believe in Him. I have, since I was a teenager, needed to believe.

It was also challenging because His last record was unlistenable. 2009’s Years of Refusal is one of His best ever ever ever, but I couldn’t even get through 2014’s World Peace is None of Your Business. I was shocked—maybe I just hate dogs? Either way, because of it, I nervously entered into writing this nervously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who the....is Jamie Stewart? Not another talentless bore using Morrissey as his MO for significance. YAWN. NEXT :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nobody has heard of him. turns out he is 'xiu xiu'.
and was very nervous having his first gay sex while being nervous under
a Moz poster. first time he tasted food was under the Moz poster.

without a doubt::crazy: comet worthy this dude.:crazy:

Why people these days feel the need to vomit everything about their 'private' lives is a mystery to me. I don't care what record he listened to while having sex. What a c***ish thing to say. And I don't care if he loves or hates M's albums.
But most of all I don't care what his definition of 'appropriate' sex is. Maybe his prior encounters were with chloroformed chickens.
They have an affliction that makes them think they are interesting. It is spreading.

Fine piece of music, nice to hear some one out there being influenced by Morrissey and yet doing
something quite different, not another Gene :sleeping:.

The vocal delivery reminds me of Alan Vega and Scott Walker a bit ....

Fine piece of music, nice to hear some one out there being influenced by Morrissey and yet doing

that's whore-able.

Agreed... World Peace, on the strength alone of Istanbul, Staircase, and Oboe, is a potent combo.....

Yes, exactly! I <3 Xiu Xiu/Jamie so much. Not everyone's cup of tea but there's no need for all the slagging on here. Typical, I suppose.

There a fair few musicians like this who are huge Morrissey/Smiths fans who don't necessarily try to sound like it. Parenthetical Girls and Former Ghosts and Los Campesinos!, who were pals/collaborators with Jamie at one point, were/are also Moz fans (and slightly easier to get into, to varying degrees).

How can you love YOR and hate LIHS? They're hardly miles apart sonically.

They seem pretty different to me. Lihs is a grab bag of sounds. Glamish rock one second electronic the next piano which is fairly rare in morrisseys solo to the eastern sounds of when you open your legs and the gypsy folk of the girl who wouldn’t kneel. Yor was mostly uptempo guitar rock for the whole album with a few minor exception. It was almost to cohesive. Imo Yor has more in common with ringleader stylistically

The first five or so tracks were incredible, leading to something great, but instead of a “Everday is like Sunday” or “The More You Ignore Me” we got a wet fart on the second half. Given that Moz writes to what music is presented to him, I don’t put Moz at as much fault as the musicians. Maybe Moz has poor taste at the moment, and he hired these guys, but it isn’t as if this collective hasn’t written excellent music before.

World Peace is way better than Years of Refusal. But High School is probably my least favourite Moz album. It sounds strained and awkward.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what the guy thinks as everyone has there own opinion on what they like/don’t like
True that and we don't puke up personal info like Jamie Stuntwart did. His post was cringeworthy cack.

That’s odd as you don’t see hardly anyone wearing a Morrissey T shirt in the UK nowadays, You see Smiths apparel but hardly anything related to Morrissey.
It might sound daft but I think people think twice before buying or wearing a Moz tshirt in case it sparks a row with skumbags. Being a Moz fan was never easy but his bigmouth doesn't help. Didn't someone here say a fan wearing a Moz tshirt at Hyde Park got some grief? I could be wrong.

It might sound daft but I think people think twice before buying or wearing a Moz tshirt in case it sparks a row with skumbags. Being a Moz fan was never easy but his bigmouth doesn't help. Didn't someone here say a fan wearing a Moz tshirt at Hyde Park got some grief? I could be wrong.

That’s why I wear mine proudly these days! Actually the other day I saw some
hipster being roughed up by some droogs just for wearing one of those Morrissey Supreme shirts, and the kid wearing the t-shirt didn’t even know who Morrissey was!

;)

That’s why I wear mine proudly these days! Actually the other day I saw some
hipster being roughed up by some droogs just for wearing one of those Morrissey Supreme shirts, and the kid wearing the t-shirt didn’t even know who Morrissey was!

;)

I wouldn’t have thought anyone in the US would get hassled as his comments last year irritated his UK fan base in the main?

True that and we don't puke up personal info like Jamie Stuntwart did. His post was cringeworthy cack.

Yeah right ? I mean, if you’re gonna puke up personal info, then do it in a song, save it for the stage.

:cool:

o_O

Moz sells thousands of tshirts and paraphenlia FFS
now check this out, a 'james' tshirt:

images

do they even exist? has anyone ever worn a 'james' tshirt:lbf:?

with the little flower:straightface::handpointright::hibiscus: suitable for 'aerobics'.:snowman:

or those pretentious twats, 'new order'FFS

I wouldn’t have thought anyone in the US would get hassled as his comments last year irritated his UK fan base in the main?

cal, my appy polly loggy! You baboochka! To bedways with you,
you must be on vellocets!

Tags
low in high school info
Back
Top Bottom