IANADOAC - lyrics discussion thread (now with added lyrics!)

When I heard the line in "River Clean":
"Time will come but it hasn't yet - somebody's out to get me."

I thought immediately to this passage in Autobiography:

"Backstage at the final Alain show in Dublin, he takes me aside and whispers: ‘I know who is planning your downfall. It is not me.’ "

When I heard the line in "River Clean":
"Time will come but it hasn't yet - somebody's out to get me."

I thought immediately to this passage in Autobiography:

"Backstage at the final Alain show in Dublin, he takes me aside and whispers: ‘I know who is planning your downfall. It is not me.’ "

Damn, wish you'd not mentioned that...I've not read it, so now I need to know, who was planning his downfall??

Damn, wish you'd not mentioned that...I've not read it, so now I need to know, who was planning his downfall??

I'm still a little skeptical that Alain actually did that. It just seems like some dramatic flair Morrissey threw in for good measure.

Does anyone know the lyrics to Darling, I Hug A Pillow? Particularly this verse:

Why can't you bring [?]
Roasted in passion and saltine voice
No longer keeping a secret of your secret plays

Sounds like

"Why can't you bring things all bubbly and moist,
Roasted in passion and salty in voice,
No longer keeping a secret of your secret place"

Not sure if this is totally correct, or in the right place but this is what I'm hearing on Hurling Days.

My Hurling Days Are Done

Time, will mould you & craft you
But soon when you’re looking away it will slide up & shaft you
Oh time, oh time, no friend of mine
Mama, mama and teddy bear,
Were the first, full, firm, spectrum of time
Now my hurling days are done
And there’s no one to tell, and there’s nowhere to run

Time, all blossoming clover
But soon it will say, ok, come on son, bend over
Oh mama, mama and teddy bear,
But now my hurling days are done

Time, places no pressure on you
But soon it explains what it means by the funky Alfonso
Oh mama, mama and teddy bear
Were the first, full, firm, spectrum of time (kids chorus)

And there is no one to tell, and there’s nowhere to run

Time, will send you an invoice
And you pay with your strength and your legs and your sight and your voice

Not sure if this is totally correct, or in the right place but this is what I'm hearing on Hurling Days.

My Hurling Days Are Done

Time, will mould you & craft you
But soon when you’re looking away it will slide up & shaft you
Mama, mama and teddy bear,
Now my hurling days are done

Time, all blossoming clover
But soon it will say, ok, come on son, bend over
Oh mama, mama and teddy bear,

Time, places no pressure on you
But soon it explains what it means by the funky Alfonso
Were the first, full, firm, spectrum of time (kids chorus)

Time, will send you an invoice
And you pay with your strength and your legs and your sight and your voice

I think that's it.

That's such a Moz song, bitter & affectionate, funny & sad.

‘Once I saw the river clean’ is probably my favourite song, lyrically. There’s a few lines I find interesting,

“The queue will queue? for me’ a reference to his success/career?

And “I grow easier on the eye” which I took as a reference to his good looks. Which I found interesting because we’re all assuming this is autobiographical and another seemingly autobiographical song in ‘Late night, Maudlin Street’ there’s a lyric about him being so ugly that the world would turn and gag. I just thought that was an interesting contrast, all these years on.
I remember reading somewhere in the autobiography about how growing up he was somewhat puzzled by attention he got from girls (compare Pretty Girls Make Graves: "she wants it now..."). He must have realized he was very good-looking at some point. Of course there are scattered lyrics to being or feeling ugly in Late Night Maudlin Street as you mentioned and picturing himself as "someone you physically despise" in Let Me Kiss You. I think feeling alternately attractive and unattractive at different times is a common human experience which is articulated beautifully by Morrissey.

And "the queue will queue for me" must be a reference to the long queues for concerts and signings. I tried to look up the lyrics online to verify that it is "queue," but all the sites have "the cue will cue for me" which makes no sense. Are the lyrics printed in the sleeve insert?

I remember reading somewhere in the autobiography about how growing up he was somewhat puzzled by attention he got from girls (compare Pretty Girls Make Graves: "she wants it now..."). He must have realized he was very good-looking at some point. Of course there are scattered lyrics to being or feeling ugly in Late Night Maudlin Street as you mentioned and picturing himself as "someone you physically despise" in Let Me Kiss You. I think feeling alternately attractive and unattractive at different times is a common human experience which is articulated beautifully by Morrissey.

And "the queue will queue for me" must be a reference to the long queues for concerts and signings. I tried to look up the lyrics online to verify that it is "queue," but all the sites have "the cue will cue for me" which makes no sense. Are the lyrics printed in the sleeve insert?

I thought he meant he was hoping that he'd grow pleasing to the eye & the queue (of people who would love to date someone attractive) would queue for him (& maybe he feels that it didn't, or it wasn't the right queue).

Could also be a reference to The Knack, a 1965 film based on a play that starts with a queue of girls lining up for a good looking bloke.

From the pictures I’ve seen online the lyrics are printed on the vinyl sleeve. I don’t have my copy yet.

I thought he meant he was hoping that he'd grow pleasing to the eye & the queue (of people who would love to date someone attractive) would queue for him (& maybe he feels that it didn't, or it wasn't the right queue).

Could also be a reference to The Knack, a 1965 film based on a play that starts with a queue of girls lining up for a good looking bloke.

That actually makes much more sense than my ramblings.

Am I alone in thinking that "What Kind Of People..." sounds reminiscent of "Sexuality" by Billy Bragg? I was absent mindedly humming the former this afternoon and found myself segueing seemlessly into the latter, like this:

What kind of people,
Live in these houses?
What kind of sad dad,
Scratches in this crash pad?

...And just because you’re gay,
I won’t turn you away,
if you stick around,
I’m sure that we can find some common ground.

Am I alone in thinking that "What Kind Of People..." sounds reminiscent of "Sexuality" by Billy Bragg? I was absent mindedly humming the former this afternoon and found myself segueing seemlessly into the latter, like this:

What kind of people,
Live in these houses?
What kind of sad dad,

I won’t turn you away,
if you stick around,

To be even mentioning Bragg in the same breath as a Moz song, on here, I find quite offensive.

To be even mentioning Bragg in the same breath as a Moz song, on here, I find quite offensive.

I'm just glad he didn't post the video. Not sure I want to see Bragg singing about sexuality.

Makes my skin crawl that f***ing creature.

I'm just waiting for the day that Morrissey's biography makes all these sanctimonious prats look like the narrow-minded bullies they actually are.

It didn't take much for the 'nice' London bubble to start spewing its venom on the queer dysfunctional 'sinister' outsider...

What kind of people,
Live in these houses?
What kind of sad dad,

I won’t turn you away,
if you stick around,
f*** Billy Bragg.

And not in a good way.

Having said that, yes. It's the same song. Big shock there...Bragg's been shit talking him for a year. He's either seeped into the Moz camp's subconscious or Morrissey told them "f*** this guy; let's rip off a song just ambiguously enough to piss him off."

Back
Top Bottom