Info on Viva Hate demos

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
Just clearing out some shite for a house move, and came across some correspondence relating to Stephen Street's portastudio demos for Viva Hate, including I Don't Want Us To Finish and others. Apparently the 4-track machine was given/sold to a member of Gene, possibly with the Morrissey song demos still in the machine.

*EDIT No.2* - I got the correspondence out again, and this time I'm sure I got the correct interpretation.

Last edited:
Just clearing out some shite for a house move, and came across some correspondence relating to Stephen Street's portastudio demos for Viva Hate, including I Don't Want Us To Finish and others. Apparently the 4-track machine was given/sold to a member of Gene, possibly with the Morrissey song demos still in the machine.

*EDIT No.2* - I got the correspondence out again, and this time I'm sure I got the correct interpretation.

Very interesting cause I only found out recently about Gene and I quite like them.
I can detect the influence but still think they have a different kind of feeling.
Melancholy, yes and very beautiful.
There isn't the irony, the funny reverse side, or the silly and child-like spontaneity.
But that doesn't put me off.
There are many ways to get to my musical heart.
Maybe Gene is the only example escaping the burden of being just copying The Smiths and Moz but using the inspiration for their own music? I would like to believe it is.
Thanks for sharing.

Apropos, Gene were brilliant. I miss them terribly.

Kind regards,

Would or could you share a scan of it with those who are interested like myself, please?????

It's just a printout of an e-mail from someone who probably wants to stay anonymous, so I'm gonna have to say no to that unfortunately. The guts of the content are are the top of the thread. Apols for not coming up with more of the goods here.

Fair enough and thanks for sharing. I always thought that“I don't want us to finish“ does not exist. That was the info I got from someone who was involved in Viva Hate.

Very interesting cause I only found out recently about Gene and I quite like them.
I can detect the influence but still think they have a different kind of feeling.
Melancholy, yes and very beautiful.
There isn't the irony, the funny reverse side, or the silly and child-like spontaneity.
But that doesn't put me off.
There are many ways to get to my musical heart.
Maybe Gene is the only example escaping the burden of being just copying The Smiths and Moz but using the inspiration for their own music? I would like to believe it is.
Thanks for sharing.

LOL have you met Martin? Have you seen Gene live? Do you know anything about them?
They are a student union version of a Morrissey B- side. They are NOTHING like the smiths. They are not really anything like Morrissey just a very bad impression. Th only people who like them are people who listen to Morrissey and don't really get him. All that said out of the obvious copycat moz bands Gene are one of the better ones. Some ok songs. Martin is a song writer and not a pop star . Morrissey is a poetic wordsman and a popstar , very differing beasts .Sadly for Martin he was outclassed by Suede , Pulp, Blur . Manics, Oasis etc.

LOL have you met Martin? Have you seen Gene live? Do you know anything about them?
They are a student union version of a Morrissey B- side. They are NOTHING like the smiths. They are not really anything like Morrissey just a very bad impression. Th only people who like them are people who listen to Morrissey and don't really get him. All that said out of the obvious copycat moz bands Gene are one of the better ones. Some ok songs. Martin is a song writer and not a pop star . Morrissey is a poetic wordsman and a popstar , very differing beasts .Sadly for Martin he was outclassed by Suede , Pulp, Blur . Manics, Oasis etc.

Never seen, heard them live or met them.
Just found out recently and just like their music very much so.
There is still a lot I don't know.
I don't understand why they are seen as too much Smiths or Moz epigones.
I can hear the inspiration and the melancholy feeling but they have a certain unique sound and personal touch. They are very different from other Smiths or Moz influenced bands.
Maybe Martin Rossiter was outclassed by those you mention in a commercial sense and in the way they were known by the media.
But I don't rate them anything less than those you mention in a musical sense and agree Martin Rossiter is a very fine songwriter.
Mind you, Moz and The Smiths are in a different league for me and outclassing all those names!

Never seen, heard them live or met them.
Just found out recently and just like their music very much so.
There is still a lot I don't know.
I don't understand why they are seen as too much Smiths or Moz epigones.
I can hear the inspiration and the melancholy feeling but they have a certain unique sound and personal touch. They are very different from other Smiths or Moz influenced bands.
Maybe Martin Rossiter was outclassed by those you mention in a commercial sense and in the way they were known by the media.
But I don't rate them anything less than those you mention in a musical sense and agree Martin Rossiter is a very fine songwriter.
Mind you, Moz and The Smiths are in a different league for me and outclassing all those names!

You just taught me a new word, used, above in a very apposite sense. Thanks.

You just taught me a new word, used, above in a very apposite sense. Thanks.

Oh that's nice Uncleskinny.
It is something of importance to me to find out whether the artists intentions, in a musical and artistic way are sincere. Sometimes I feel mislead and disappointed but who doesn't? I don't like the copycats. It seems lazy to me just to copy a succesformula and trying to do the same. To be inspired and using the inspiration to create something which is personal and individual is something else, I hope.
I know the integrity of the person who makes music is essential but will always be questioned too.
That is how it should be cause no questioning at all will weaken his art.
Cheers

Did you see them? I did, they were a great band in their own right.

Having heard "Treat Me Like A Human Being" and "Safe Warm Lancashire Home," I'd be much more interested in hearing the scrapped BBC session with Street, Paresi, and Reilly. But I think the word is that those had been deleted completely, no?

Back
Top Bottom