Inspirations

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
Hello again. As referred to back here, here's Simon Goddard's updated inspiration list, an admirable companion to the previous list in Record Collector some years ago. I have followed Mr. Goddard's lead and bought all the songs to referred to here and previously.

THE ROOTS OF THE SMITHS - The Tracks That Inspired Morrissey and Marr

1 - Kimberley - Patti Smith
Smith's ode to her sister provide the basis of early Morrissey/Marr co-write The Hand That Rocks The Cradle.
Get it: Horses, Arista, 1975

2 - I Want A Boy For My Birthday - The Cookies
Classic ''60s girl group fare, as covered by The Smiths at their debut gig at Manchester Ritz on 4 October 1982.
Get it: The Complete Cookies, Sequel, 1994

**I'm amazed a recording of this hasn't surfaced yet (from the gig, not the poor quality tape recording) - is one available? - Peter**

3 - Mr Soul - Buffalo Springfield
Marr borrowed Neil Young's riff for the ultra-rare A Matter Of Opinion.
Get it: The Best Of, Atco, 1969

4 - A Song From Under The Floorboards - Magazine
Sublime self-loathing from arty Manc punks: "I am angry I am ill and I'm as ugly as sin". Lifted for Smiths B-side Accept Yourself: "I am sick and I am dull and I am plain".
Get it: The Correct Use Of Soap, Virgin, 1980

5 - Gimme Danger - Iggy & The Stooges
Marr's primary guitar hero was Iggy slideman James Williamson, whose work here inspired Hand In Glove.
Get it: Raw Power, Columbia, 1973

6 - Light Flight - Pentangle
Late '60s folk supergroup featuring another of Marr's heroes, guitarist Bert Jansch.
Get it: Basket Of Light, Castle, 1969

7 - (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame - Elvis Presley
When Morrissey asked Marr to write "fairground music" for Meat Is Murder's Rusholme Ruffians, he mimicked The King's jerky ode to lost love.
Get it: 30 #1 Hits, RCA, 2002

8 - Metal Guru - T.Rex
The obvious inspiration for 1986's Panic. Marc Bolan ranked high among Morrissey and Marr's many unifying passions.
Get it: The Slider, EMI, 1972

9 - Heaven Knows I'm Missing Him Now - Sandie Shaw
Morrissey owed the title of The Smiths' first Top 10 single to the barefoot siren's 1969 chart flop.
Get it: The Very Best Of Sandie Shaw, EMI, 2005

10 - The Answer To Everything - Del Shannon
This Burt Bacharach tune handed Marr the melancholic tone of Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want.
Get it: Runaway With.../Hats Off To Del Shannon, BGO, 1997

11 - Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing In The Shadow? - The Rolling Stones
The title was Virginia Woolf's, but 1985's Shakespeare's Sister took its musical cue from this 1966 R&B blast.
Get it: Forty Licks, Virgin, 2002

12 - Disco Stomp - Hamilton Bohannon
Burn down the disco? Not if this 1975 floor-filler, cited by Marr as the root of How Soon Is Now?'s tremolo shudder, is playing.
Get it: The Story Of Brunswick, Union Square, 2002

13 - I'll Never Quite Get Over You - Billy Fury
Brooding '60s ballad, and one of Morrissey's favourite singles. Fury appeared on the sleeve of Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me.
Get it: The 40th Anniversary Anthology, Decca, 1998

14 - I Can't Stand It - The Velvet Underground
A Velvet's out-take. Marr paid musical homage with the ricocheting guitar of The Queen Is Dead's title track.
Get it: VU, Verve, 1985

15 - Lonely Planet Boy - New York Dolls
Morrissey-approved New York proto-punks in tender mode. The "driving in your car" line was recycled on There Is A Light That Never Goes Out.
Get it: New York Dolls, Mercury, 1973

16 - Days - The Kinks
At the back of Marr's mind when writing Cemetry Gates. He'd later play on Kirsty MacColl's 1989 cover.
Get it: The Ultimate Collection, Sanctuary, 2002

17 - Golden Lights - Twinkle
Ode to fame's pitfalls from '60s modette. The Smiths' own abysmal cover features on Louder Than Bombs.
Get it: Golden Lights, RPM, 2001

18 - Don Juan's Reckless Daughter - Joni Mitchell
Joni watches "old ideals" on "Channel 5". On Shoplifters Of The World Unite, Morrissey would do the same with "future war" on "Channel 4".
Get it: Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, Asylum, 1977

**The lyrics of The Silky Veils Of Ardor from the same album are recycled for Seasick Yet Still Docked - another Goddard discovery - Peter**

19 - Young, Gifted & Black - Bob & Marcia
"Reggae is vile," Morrissey once quipped, though he loved this 1970 rocksteady hit.
Get it: Pied Piper, The Best Of, Trojan, 2002

20 - Dear Prudence - The Beatles
The whole White Album informed the mood of Strangeways...the trippy guitar descent shines through Death Of A Disco Dancer.
Get it: The Beatles, Apple, 1968

Peter

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom