Interview with Cornershop's Tjinder Singh reflects on Morrissey protest

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...r-singh-brexit-morrissey-music-england-garden

Extract:

"On No Rock: Save in Roll you’ll also hear a discreet sitar; this musical synthesis is everywhere in Cornershop’s back catalogue, a musical response, perhaps, to how difficult assimilation has been for them in other ways. In 1993 their first EP’s lead track, England’s Dreaming, injected indie with the spirit of protest, fusing lyrics from the Smiths’ Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now and Public Enemy (“I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour/Fight the Power!”).

This protest was about Morrissey, who had draped himself in a union jack at a Madness gig in summer 1992, when the flag was very much a symbol of the far right. He had also released controversial songs such as The National Front Disco and Bengali in Platforms, the latter addressing an immigrant to Britain wanting to assimilate (“shelve your western plans/and understand/That life is hard enough when you belong here”). Cornershop had also set fire to pictures of Morrissey outside his record company offices around their EP’s release. This was dismissed as a press stunt by some at the time, but given Morrissey’s ramping up of anti-immigrant statements over the years – including wearing a badge celebrating the far-right For Britain party on America’s Jimmy Fallon show last May – it now seems on the money.

“What’s changed now is people have this phrase, and I think it’s a lovely phrase, called ‘white privilege’,” Singh says, looking back. “That’s what Morrissey had, that ability to just continue regardless – Clapton had it too.” He’s referring to Clapton’s drunken on-stage rant in 1976, saying that Britain was “overcrowded”, and that his fans should vote for Enoch Powell. That action prompted the creation of Rock Against Racism (Clapton has since said he feels “shame” about those remarks).

“Clapton then surrounded himself with black people, and now Morrissey’s doing the same,” says Singh, meaning Motown singer Thelma Houston, with whom Morrissey duetted on his recent single, Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know? “It was hard for Cornershop to make our stand then, because we were pulling a lot of disparate things together. We couldn’t just say, look at his badge. Look at his support of Tommy Robinson.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, I'm going to stop the wider debate on migration stuff, because I'd rather focus on how seriously bloody annoying it is that UK hacks ignore Irish Catholic history & oppression.

& that one of our own is getting flack for the Butcher's Apron, when every other British pop star is covered in sodding Union Jacks.

Raging. :swear

Morrisseyyourarsenal-program-5-700x999.jpg

^This tart is beyond daft.

Next time you’re in a pinch, begging for military help against your tiny island’s whack military, call the f***ing Queen.

“Nobody comes to the aid of a stuck-ignorant c***. Sink or swim, bitch.” - Half the world

What country are you from? Pretty sure we saved your ancestors arses during the 20th century.

England. Out of the EU...you f***ers can't force us to take any of these goonbars.
Except they can, by ending the arrangement where UK officials check passports at Calais. Then they can send pretty much anyone interested in making the crossing. Fairly likely.

Doesn't change his ethnic or religious heritage & I don't think a member of any other oppressed group would have their background ignored by the liberal-left media in order to frame them as an oppressor.

He's not even just Irish Catholic, he's Queer, working-class & didn't go to University. How many more marginal categories do they want him to be in before they stop hyping up the few things he says every ten years or so that offends their sensibilities?

How many boycotts of the UK did the anti-racists demand when Northern Ireland was occupied by the British Army & Bobby Sands was starving to death? Absolutely bloody none.

I really will not let this go. :swear :swear :swear :swear

Doesn't change his ethnic or religious heritage & I don't think a member of any other oppressed group would have their background ignored by the liberal-left media in order to frame them as an oppressor.

He's not even just Irish Catholic, he's Queer, working-class & didn't go to University. How many more marginal categories do they want him to be in before they stop hyping up the few things he says every ten years or so that offends their sensibilities?

How many boycotts of the UK did the anti-racists demand when Northern Ireland was occupied by the British Army & Bobby Sands was starving to death? Absolutely bloody none.

I really will not let this go. :swear :swear :swear :swear
There is a simple answer. He's white - and worse, male. So to the woke media and it's slavish followers he will always be evil personified for having the temerity to criticize enforced mass immigration.

Citing your Irishness won't get you enough points when you're competing with mixed race trans dykes.

And to criticise the globalist Replacement programme is akin to treason.

Last edited:
The same bastards screaming about racism are the ones going around in hoodies at night checking for CCTV cameras and carrying knives and screwdrivers in their pockets.
This got a like? Acton. Move away from the cocaine.

Like I said yesterday: Moz is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. He invites a black singer on his album and he is the antichrist blood sucking vampire for doing it. He doesn't and he's a blatant racist. Luckily Moz doesn't give a shit about these crybabies. I'm glad to see so many posters on Moz Solo don't either.
.. but, honey, he does give a shit A massive, watery shit That's why he's always moaning No matter how many fawn over him it's never enough.

There is a simple answer. He's white - and worse, male. So to the woke media and it's slavish followers he will always be evil personified for having the temerity to criticize enforced mass immigration.

Citing your Irishness won't get you enough points when you're competing with mixed race trans dykes.

And to criticise the globalist Replacement programme is akin to treason.

I'm fairly certain Morrissey has no issue with mixed race trans dykes. I can't see him disliking the 'surprise' at the end of The Crying Game.

And I'm more than happy to denounce liberal-left hypocrisy & wrongness without trotting down white nationalist alley.

Dismissing Irish Catholic communities, pretending Morrissey isn't a first generation immigrant as if he hardly interacts with his own parents & citing this song ? as more evidence of Morrissey's racism (as I've seen in some hit pieces) is outrageous.

Feel free to disagree with Pippistrella, but please stop the sexism
Dear arse. When Pippiwetcunt desists with its right-wing, racist, homophobic tirades maybe then it'll be identified as human. What on earth mske yiu think its a woman? The photo? Enough said ....

I'm fairly certain Morrissey has no issue with mixed race trans dykes. I can't see him disliking the 'surprise' at the end of The Crying Game.

And I'm more than happy to denounce liberal-left hypocrisy & wrongness without trotting down white nationalist alley.

Dismissing Irish Catholic communities, pretending Morrissey isn't a first generation immigrant as if he hardly interacts with his own parents & citing this song ? as more evidence of Morrissey's racism (as I've seen in some hit pieces) is outrageous.

He has no issue with anyone.

Identity Politics is all about separating people into groups who then have to compete with other groups in the victimhood stakes. It's the perfect divide and rule. Even Machiavelli couldn't have dreamt it up.

'Irish' as a victim card won't get you enough points to compete with the big hitters like black trans wheelchair bound dykes for example. And being a white male (the most toxic identity of all) will fail you instantly.

Criticism of globalist migration cancels you forever.

It's a game and these are the rules.

Last edited:
Dear arse. When Pippiwetcunt desists with its right-wing, racist, homophobic tirades maybe then it'll be identified as human. What on earth mske yiu think its a woman? The photo? Enough said ....
You definitely have a problem with women. But then again that is a gay trait. As is a love for underage bum.

Get therapy.

He has no issue with anyone.

Identity Politics is all about separating people into groups who then have to compete with other groups in the victimhood stakes.

'Irish' as a victim card won't get you enough points to compete with the big hitters like black trans wheelchair bound dykes for example. And being a white male (the most toxic identity of all) will fail you instantly.

Criticism of globalist migration cancels you forever.

It's a game and these are the rules.

I know identity politics is a problem.

And I'm also not standing for Ireland's oppression being erased by people who pretend to care about oppression.

I know identity politics is a problem.

And I'm also not standing for Ireland's oppression being erased by people who pretend to care about oppression.
That's why I put up the John Waters clip. Waters insists that the Irish are not 'white' in the normal sense. Ireland's history of oppression is indeed being erased. There are now black (and white) race baiters in Ireland saying Irish people, as whites, should be ashamed of their history. And their payment for these crimes should be to to open up to world immigration - or you're an evil colonial racist. Hard to believe but true.

But worse, many Irish people are actually falling for this fantastical stuff. Ireland is suffering from baseless woke blackmail big time. They need to wake up but instead they're lapping up all this shit, desperate to be 'modern' and 'with it'.

When I say Ireland has changed, I mean many Irish people too. Their kindness is being exploited and they can't see it.

It's time to go back to the dumps and power up the weapons for a new enemy. That's if they haven't given them all away. As the terrorist bomber Nelson Mandela said when asked about the Good Friday Agreement: "Never give up your guns until you've got what you want." They ignored his advice and listened to Blair instead.

Last edited:
It is relevant. The Manchester report confirmed that the gangs were allowed to operate because the police & social workers didn't want to be accused of racism, & used accusations of racism to silence victims. Morrissey's sole reference to Tommy Robinson was about Tommy not being allowed to 'report' from a grooming gang trial. For Britain was set up by Anne Marie after she'd been working for a charity that supports Muslim apostates who have been threatened with violence by their own community. I have witnessed that violence, it's serious & if the authorities deliberately ignored sexual exploitation, it's not unlikely that people wouldn't trust them to tackle other problems.

I also wish Morrissey hadn't waded into it, because it's too complex & toxic for even politicians to able to talk about it without getting monstered, nevermind a pop singer.
But I'll still point out that The Guardian is printing blinkered, badly researched, calumny, because it is.
Vulnerable women and girls should be protected in British society and in all societies for that matter.

I'm a born-again, Bible-believing Christian. I guess that some people would say that I'm a protestant but I'm not a "Calvinist" so I'm not a protestant in that sense. I don't follow "Arminianism" either which is sort of the opposite of Calvinism.

I'm a supporter of the Jewish Sate of Israel one of the things I like about Morrissey is his love and support for Israel.

I love all that Morrissey does to protect people, the environment and also animals.

I'm a Londoner born and bred. But I lived in Manchester for 3 years and that was where the bad stuff happened. I don't like Manchester's indie music scene there is a lot of cruelty in that scene and people can be fake in that scene and there is a lot of hatred towards Morrissey in that scene. I saw this for myself. Maybe some of them are jealous of Morrissey and his continued success?

I'm not that big into indie music. I love Morrissey but I'm not that big into indie music in general. Since becoming a Christian I have lost some interest in 'secular' music.

I don't have that much interest in worldly politics.

I don't know that much about and the British indie band "Cornershop". I remember their big hit single their big 1997 UK number-one single "Brimful of Asha".

I had a look at their Wikipedia page: "Cornershop" was formed in 1991 by Wolverhampton-born Tjinder Singh (singer, songwriter, and guitar), his brother Avtar Singh (bass guitar, vocals), David Chambers (drums) and Ben Ayres (guitar, keyboards, and tamboura), the first three having previously been members of Preston-based band "General Havoc", who released one single (the "Fast Jaspal EP") in 1991. The band name originated from a stereotype referring to British Asians often owning corner shops. Their music is a fusion of Indian music, indie rock, alternative and electronic dance music. It says on Wikipedia that the band's origin is in Leicester, England.

Cornershop's Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornershop

I wonder if Tjinder Singh is from a Hindu background? I think Tjinder Singh is of Punjabi origin. Punjabi people are associated with the 'Punjab' region in South Asia, specifically in the northern part of the Indian subcontinent, presently divided between Punjab, India and Punjab, Pakistan. In India there are Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims. People think of Pakistan as being the more Muslim country but I found out that there are actually more Muslims living in India than in Pakistan I couldn't believe this when I first heard about it. I know that Christians are sometimes killed in India by Hindu Nationalists.

I remember when the Asian underground music scene was cool in the 1990s with bands like "Asian Dub Foundation" and the musician Talvin Singh.

I remember the "Cool Britannia" thing in the 1990s and the "Britpop" thing. I was teenager in the 1990s. I remember people thought that it was great when Geri Halliwell a white English lady from "The Spice Girls" wore her Union Jack dress at the 1997 Brit Awards. Morrissey was treated very differently when he was wrapped in a Union Jack flag in 1992.

I often wish I could go back to being 15 again in the 1990s or even younger when I was 13 before all the bad stuff happened.

I think that Thelma Houston is a great artist and singer. I love Motown- originally of Detroit, Michigan USA so much. Morrissey has loved Tamla Motown since he was very young as well. Morrissey didn't chose to sing with Thelma Houston to prove that he isn't a racist that isn't true. Thelma Houston has also said that Morrissey isn't a racist!

Morrissey has a great love and interest in black African American culture and black American music and he was close friends with the late Dick Gregory. Dick Gregory was a really great man he wouldn't of been friends with someone who was a racist. Dick Gregory was a black African American comedian, civil rights activist, conspiracy theorist, social critic, writer, and occasional actor he died in 2017.

Last edited:
...as opposed to the meme-educated ramblings of the spawn of colonizers?

Suck it up bitch. Your ilk shit all over the world for 300 years and now you’re pissed that the chickens have come home to roost?

Enjoy it. You own it, kiddo.

At least you frame the immigration as a negative punishment, instead of rambling about the benefits of exotic restaurants.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...r-singh-brexit-morrissey-music-england-garden

Extract:

"On No Rock: Save in Roll you’ll also hear a discreet sitar; this musical synthesis is everywhere in Cornershop’s back catalogue, a musical response, perhaps, to how difficult assimilation has been for them in other ways. In 1993 their first EP’s lead track, England’s Dreaming, injected indie with the spirit of protest, fusing lyrics from the Smiths’ Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now and Public Enemy (“I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour/Fight the Power!”).

This protest was about Morrissey, who had draped himself in a union jack at a Madness gig in summer 1992, when the flag was very much a symbol of the far right. He had also released controversial songs such as The National Front Disco and Bengali in Platforms, the latter addressing an immigrant to Britain wanting to assimilate (“shelve your western plans/and understand/That life is hard enough when you belong here”). Cornershop had also set fire to pictures of Morrissey outside his record company offices around their EP’s release. This was dismissed as a press stunt by some at the time, but given Morrissey’s ramping up of anti-immigrant statements over the years – including wearing a badge celebrating the far-right For Britain party on America’s Jimmy Fallon show last May – it now seems on the money.

“What’s changed now is people have this phrase, and I think it’s a lovely phrase, called ‘white privilege’,” Singh says, looking back. “That’s what Morrissey had, that ability to just continue regardless – Clapton had it too.” He’s referring to Clapton’s drunken on-stage rant in 1976, saying that Britain was “overcrowded”, and that his fans should vote for Enoch Powell. That action prompted the creation of Rock Against Racism (Clapton has since said he feels “shame” about those remarks).

“Clapton then surrounded himself with black people, and now Morrissey’s doing the same,” says Singh, meaning Motown singer Thelma Houston, with whom Morrissey duetted on his recent single, Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know? “It was hard for Cornershop to make our stand then, because we were pulling a lot of disparate things together. We couldn’t just say, look at his badge. Look at his support of Tommy Robinson.”
What I find interesting, is that the Dali Lama can say the exact same thing- he has stated in interviews that he feels that immigration is out of control and people need to stay in the countries they are from ,make them better and honor their culture. I know that isn’t always an easy thing to do. So you think the Dali Lana is racist?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom