Interview with Cornershop's Tjinder Singh reflects on Morrissey protest

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...r-singh-brexit-morrissey-music-england-garden

Extract:

"On No Rock: Save in Roll you’ll also hear a discreet sitar; this musical synthesis is everywhere in Cornershop’s back catalogue, a musical response, perhaps, to how difficult assimilation has been for them in other ways. In 1993 their first EP’s lead track, England’s Dreaming, injected indie with the spirit of protest, fusing lyrics from the Smiths’ Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now and Public Enemy (“I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour/Fight the Power!”).

This protest was about Morrissey, who had draped himself in a union jack at a Madness gig in summer 1992, when the flag was very much a symbol of the far right. He had also released controversial songs such as The National Front Disco and Bengali in Platforms, the latter addressing an immigrant to Britain wanting to assimilate (“shelve your western plans/and understand/That life is hard enough when you belong here”). Cornershop had also set fire to pictures of Morrissey outside his record company offices around their EP’s release. This was dismissed as a press stunt by some at the time, but given Morrissey’s ramping up of anti-immigrant statements over the years – including wearing a badge celebrating the far-right For Britain party on America’s Jimmy Fallon show last May – it now seems on the money.

“What’s changed now is people have this phrase, and I think it’s a lovely phrase, called ‘white privilege’,” Singh says, looking back. “That’s what Morrissey had, that ability to just continue regardless – Clapton had it too.” He’s referring to Clapton’s drunken on-stage rant in 1976, saying that Britain was “overcrowded”, and that his fans should vote for Enoch Powell. That action prompted the creation of Rock Against Racism (Clapton has since said he feels “shame” about those remarks).

“Clapton then surrounded himself with black people, and now Morrissey’s doing the same,” says Singh, meaning Motown singer Thelma Houston, with whom Morrissey duetted on his recent single, Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know? “It was hard for Cornershop to make our stand then, because we were pulling a lot of disparate things together. We couldn’t just say, look at his badge. Look at his support of Tommy Robinson.”

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...r-singh-brexit-morrissey-music-england-garden

Extract:

"On No Rock: Save in Roll you’ll also hear a discreet sitar; this musical synthesis is everywhere in Cornershop’s back catalogue, a musical response, perhaps, to how difficult assimilation has been for them in other ways. In 1993 their first EP’s lead track, England’s Dreaming, injected indie with the spirit of protest, fusing lyrics from the Smiths’ Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now and Public Enemy (“I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour/Fight the Power!”).

This protest was about Morrissey, who had draped himself in a union jack at a Madness gig in summer 1992, when the flag was very much a symbol of the far right. He had also released controversial songs such as The National Front Disco and Bengali in Platforms, the latter addressing an immigrant to Britain wanting to assimilate (“shelve your western plans/and understand/That life is hard enough when you belong here”). Cornershop had also set fire to pictures of Morrissey outside his record company offices around their EP’s release. This was dismissed as a press stunt by some at the time, but given Morrissey’s ramping up of anti-immigrant statements over the years – including wearing a badge celebrating the far-right For Britain party on America’s Jimmy Fallon show last May – it now seems on the money.

“What’s changed now is people have this phrase, and I think it’s a lovely phrase, called ‘white privilege’,” Singh says, looking back. “That’s what Morrissey had, that ability to just continue regardless – Clapton had it too.” He’s referring to Clapton’s drunken on-stage rant in 1976, saying that Britain was “overcrowded”, and that his fans should vote for Enoch Powell. That action prompted the creation of Rock Against Racism (Clapton has since said he feels “shame” about those remarks).

Clapton then surrounded himself with black people, and now Morrissey’s doing the same,” says Singh, meaning Motown singer Thelma Houston, with whom Morrissey duetted on his recent single, Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know? “It was hard for Cornershop to make our stand then, because we were pulling a lot of disparate things together. We couldn’t just say, look at his badge. Look at his support of Tommy Robinson.”

Except Clapton was mates with Hendrix. He also loves the blues.

Thing is, if you comment on immigration, certain people will put you in the racist box. This is what has happened to Morrissey.

What a tedious, whinge-filled read posted by an equally whinge-filled-windbag who digs it out through extensive obsessive Moz research & sinks to these depths on a daily basis. Cornershop, FFS? Who?

Curious name wonder why? Bcos it's synonymous with their ilk but if anyone else had thought of it then straight in the racist pile...that's what they did, & still do, occupy stinking corner shops selling over-priced goods.

Let's take a look at their career: Start Feb 1998 Brimful of Asha - One hit wonder, straight in at No.1 dislodging Celine Dion. End.
Worth reading about? No.

Oh I see, Cornershop’s ninth LP (shock me sideways), England Is a Garden, comes out next week. That's the reason for the article....need to shift a few copies so let's add some clickbait in the article to help out. Right these chaps are Asian...let's do a search...yep, Morrissey said something in 1980 so & so...yes let's use that one. Oh hang on Clapton said something too...let's pop that in too. How very tediously tenuous.

BTW, Flying the St. George flag is not racist & never has been....except in the twisted minds of certain people. Next.

cornershop,brimful of pish.
Asian gangs raping white children by the hundreds,cornershop say nothing to see here, move on.

Conveniently no reference to any of that was there gordy? selective stuff again from skiddy-arse-wipe.
Please don't wave St. George at me while we gang rape your daughters...cos that's racist innnit.
Cornershop my arse. f*** 'em.

Again, it's bizarre that an Irish Catholic gets a far right tag in 1992 for holding the Union Jack, when the troubles were ongoing & the far right hated the Irish.

No hack even mentions it.

Again, it's bizarre that an Irish Catholic gets a far right tag in 1992 for holding the Union Jack, when the troubles were ongoing & the far right hated the Irish.

No hack even mentions it.
gerri Halliwell wears a union jack dress at the brits and everybody loves it,Ms face has never fitted and never will,which for me is a huge plus point.

Lovin' how all these folks got worked up about Moz doin' at song with Thelma Houston.
Some say Moz just did it to prove he ain't racist.
Some got confused Moz did it cause they like thinkin' Moz is racist.
Some even disrespect Thelma and say she only did it for the digits.
Meanwhile, ya got Wild T over here Turkey Steppin' and enjoyin' a darn good tune!

gerri Halliwell wears a union jack dress at the brits and everybody loves it,Ms face has never fitted and never will,which for me is a huge plus point.

Yer plus that tit 'stormzy wonder' wears some stab vest emblazoned with a union flag...it's ok den innnit...coz I'ze black an' it's 2019 already, allegedly "as a comment on Britain's knife-crime crisis and racial inequality in the criminal justice system". More whingeing FFS. Make it up, you could not.

Agree!

& either England is completely blind when it comes to the Irish or there is some kind of weird anti-Irish Catholic bigotry going on at the NME & The Guardian.

I know we're all moving on, but they shouldn't pretend that Irish Catholics were never oppressed or that it hasn't shaped how we fit into the UK, or how we'd relate to British symbols.

Extract:

“Clapton then surrounded himself with black people, and now Morrissey’s doing the same,” says Singh, meaning Motown singer Thelma Houston, with whom Morrissey duetted on his recent single, Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know? “It was hard for Cornershop to make our stand then, because we were pulling a lot of disparate things together. We couldn’t just say, look at his badge. Look at his support of Tommy Robinson.”

No mention of terrorism or grooming gangs then. What a shocker.

Singh is nothing special.

Just a run of the mill Guardian-endorsed anti-white racist.

They're everywhere now. Like a disease.

Singh is nothing special.

Just a run of the mill Guardian-endorsed anti-white racist.

They're everywhere now. Like a disease.

More shite spouted from the hateful mouth of a racist, homophobic, middle-class, white woman who has yet to get off her boney arse and achieve anything.

Jesus, the white privilege of being from an oppressed group that doesn't get acknowledged as oppressed.

Saying one comment in support of Tommy Robinson & that entirely related to him not being allowed to report from outside a grooming gang trial (it would always be legal in the USA so that's why there was confusion that it was the judge being political).

& during the election we had Sikh & Hindu groups briefing against Labour because Labour was perceived as being an Islamist party - the same objections that For Britain has.

Guardian hacks are shit.

Like I said yesterday: Moz is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. He invites a black singer on his album and he is the antichrist blood sucking vampire for doing it. He doesn't and he's a blatant racist. Luckily Moz doesn't give a shit about these crybabies. I'm glad to see so many posters on Moz Solo don't either.

The same bastards screaming about racism are the ones going around in hoodies at night checking for CCTV cameras and carrying knives and screwdrivers in their pockets.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom