Interview with Cornershop's Tjinder Singh reflects on Morrissey protest

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...r-singh-brexit-morrissey-music-england-garden

Extract:

"On No Rock: Save in Roll you’ll also hear a discreet sitar; this musical synthesis is everywhere in Cornershop’s back catalogue, a musical response, perhaps, to how difficult assimilation has been for them in other ways. In 1993 their first EP’s lead track, England’s Dreaming, injected indie with the spirit of protest, fusing lyrics from the Smiths’ Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now and Public Enemy (“I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour/Fight the Power!”).

This protest was about Morrissey, who had draped himself in a union jack at a Madness gig in summer 1992, when the flag was very much a symbol of the far right. He had also released controversial songs such as The National Front Disco and Bengali in Platforms, the latter addressing an immigrant to Britain wanting to assimilate (“shelve your western plans/and understand/That life is hard enough when you belong here”). Cornershop had also set fire to pictures of Morrissey outside his record company offices around their EP’s release. This was dismissed as a press stunt by some at the time, but given Morrissey’s ramping up of anti-immigrant statements over the years – including wearing a badge celebrating the far-right For Britain party on America’s Jimmy Fallon show last May – it now seems on the money.

“What’s changed now is people have this phrase, and I think it’s a lovely phrase, called ‘white privilege’,” Singh says, looking back. “That’s what Morrissey had, that ability to just continue regardless – Clapton had it too.” He’s referring to Clapton’s drunken on-stage rant in 1976, saying that Britain was “overcrowded”, and that his fans should vote for Enoch Powell. That action prompted the creation of Rock Against Racism (Clapton has since said he feels “shame” about those remarks).

“Clapton then surrounded himself with black people, and now Morrissey’s doing the same,” says Singh, meaning Motown singer Thelma Houston, with whom Morrissey duetted on his recent single, Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know? “It was hard for Cornershop to make our stand then, because we were pulling a lot of disparate things together. We couldn’t just say, look at his badge. Look at his support of Tommy Robinson.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing. For Britain is not a far right party. The last far right party in Britain was the BNP (and even they only wanted to bring voluntary repatriation). Perhaps the last truly far right party was the NF.

But the Guardian have their hysterical agenda. And so do fossilized stuck-in-the-past wokesters like Singh.

He's Sikh. He's not in the group the gangs mostly come from... The point is, they're ignoring other issues & factors to keep smearing Morrissey.

The Guardian ran an article the other day pretty much accusing any non-Muslim Asian who voted Tory of Islamophobia, but Moz is the racist folk demon they have to slay?

It's all bollocks.
The cries, wallowing and spouting of impotent millennial Brits online - shuddering over Asian gangs and immigration is hysterical.

You don’t work, so someone needs to do it.
You don’t f***, so someone needs to do it.

The off-spring of a nation of dentally-challenged, colonizing shit-eaters are hardly a source of information on reality.

The culling of the English, on English soil is just a long overdue tit-for-tat.

Suck it up bitches. ...or grow a pair and deal with it. Your online “opinion” ain’t worth shit.

It doesn't really matter what ethnic group they are from. Sexual exploitation has no colour. Tjinder wasn't asked about that, so it's not relevant here. But he was asked about Moz, so he answered. Tjinder understandably feels vindicated cos of M's recent antics. I wish Moz hadn't created this situation
Dont forget, Singh initiated a one-hit-wonder career on attempting to rubbish Morrissey's reputation with an anti-Moz stunt.

That makes him parasitical, untrustworthy and instantly unlikable.

I admire Moz's persistent desire to be at one with his Englishness, but every so often (for a wee rest) it's wise to run back to Ma. ?

Up the 'Ra!

Forget Sinn Fein tho coz they're f***ing woke.

Last edited:
Another thing. For Britain is not a far right party. The last far right party in Britain was the BNP (and even they only wanted to bring voluntary repatriation). Perhaps the last truly far right party was the NF.

But the Guardian have their hysterical agenda. And so do fossilized stuck-in-the-past wokesters like Singh.
...as opposed to the meme-educated ramblings of the spawn of colonizers?

Suck it up bitch. Your ilk shit all over the world for 300 years and now you’re pissed that the chickens have come home to roost?

Enjoy it. You own it, kiddo.

Agree!

& either England is completely blind when it comes to the Irish or there is some kind of weird anti-Irish Catholic bigotry going on at the NME & The Guardian.

I know we're all moving on, but they shouldn't pretend that Irish Catholics were never oppressed or that it hasn't shaped how we fit into the UK, or how we'd relate to British symbols.
The bigotry has never been about the Irish. It’s been about Protestant V Catholic. ...and f*** the Holy See. If you’ve got something in defence of the most corrupt mob of paedophiles in the history of humankind, just state it.

...or Fak Arf.

Dont forget, Singh initiated a one-hit-wonder career on attempting to rubbish Morrissey's reputation with an anti-Moz stunt.

That makes him parasitical, untrustworthy and instantly unlikable.
Makes him have one more number one hit than Morrissey, doesn’t it.

The same bastards screaming about racism are the ones going around in hoodies at night checking for CCTV cameras and carrying knives and screwdrivers in their pockets.
...while you just bitch about it all online, from the relative comfort of mommy’s basement.

Fak Arf.

It doesn't really matter what ethnic group they are from. Sexual exploitation has no colour. Tjinder wasn't asked about that, so it's not relevant here. But he was asked about Moz, so he answered. Tjinder understandably feels vindicated cos of M's recent antics. I wish Moz hadn't created this situation

It is relevant. The Manchester report confirmed that the gangs were allowed to operate because the police & social workers didn't want to be accused of racism, & used accusations of racism to silence victims. Morrissey's sole reference to Tommy Robinson was about Tommy not being allowed to 'report' from a grooming gang trial. For Britain was set up by Anne Marie after she'd been working for a charity that supports Muslim apostates who have been threatened with violence by their own community. I have witnessed that violence, it's serious & if the authorities deliberately ignored sexual exploitation, it's not unlikely that people wouldn't trust them to tackle other problems.

I also wish Morrissey hadn't waded into it, because it's too complex & toxic for even politicians to able to talk about it without getting monstered, nevermind a pop singer.
But I'll still point out that The Guardian is printing blinkered, badly researched, calumny, because it is.

The ruling Conservative Party say they are currently reducing immigration (i.e doing exactly what 'For Britain' want to do).

Are the Conservatives a 'racist far-right party' too?
Surely you don’t require an answer to this weak-ass rhetorical question.

Unless you are happy in soon becoming a despised white minority in your own country (a place you will soon no longer recognize), you are according to the Guardian, an evil racist.

Therefore being called a 'racist' simply means you are sane and haven't been mentally re-conditioned by woke crazies.

So if Morrissey is 'racist' then more power to his elbow.

You're not helping! It's the terrible way we're organizing pluralism, that's causing the damage.

Although I'm half inclined to admit defeat & reccomend we live in our tech bubbles & ignore each other.

...as opposed to the meme-educated ramblings of the spawn of colonizers?

Suck it up bitch. Your ilk shit all over the world for 300 years and now you’re pissed that the chickens have come home to roost?

Enjoy it. You own it, kiddo.
Britain should re-colonize the world as so much of it is still not civilized.

We obviously didn't kick enough arse first time round.

Melvis is just one of those people who can’t help but self-promote through opinion. It’s been his go-to in interviews, commentary - and letter, since well before the Smiths.

He’s an uneducated monkey, who turned his bullied, pussy-ass childhood into a self-pitying career, of sorts.

He had a great run, for a lyricist/singer. That’s long over. He can’t even manage a couplet at this point.

Now he’s just got you, slurping the effluent - in every colour of the rainbow available on vinyl.

BMG are done with him, Etienne is dead without distribution.

The rest is silence.

Up the 'Ra!

Forget Sinn Fein tho coz they're f***ing woke.

I will paraphrase from my Grandpa's Little Red Book... 'we MUST be Patriots, but ONLY if we're under attack from an aggressor nation'.

Erin go bragh. ?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom