Interview with Cornershop's Tjinder Singh reflects on Morrissey protest

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...r-singh-brexit-morrissey-music-england-garden

Extract:

"On No Rock: Save in Roll you’ll also hear a discreet sitar; this musical synthesis is everywhere in Cornershop’s back catalogue, a musical response, perhaps, to how difficult assimilation has been for them in other ways. In 1993 their first EP’s lead track, England’s Dreaming, injected indie with the spirit of protest, fusing lyrics from the Smiths’ Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now and Public Enemy (“I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour/Fight the Power!”).

This protest was about Morrissey, who had draped himself in a union jack at a Madness gig in summer 1992, when the flag was very much a symbol of the far right. He had also released controversial songs such as The National Front Disco and Bengali in Platforms, the latter addressing an immigrant to Britain wanting to assimilate (“shelve your western plans/and understand/That life is hard enough when you belong here”). Cornershop had also set fire to pictures of Morrissey outside his record company offices around their EP’s release. This was dismissed as a press stunt by some at the time, but given Morrissey’s ramping up of anti-immigrant statements over the years – including wearing a badge celebrating the far-right For Britain party on America’s Jimmy Fallon show last May – it now seems on the money.

“What’s changed now is people have this phrase, and I think it’s a lovely phrase, called ‘white privilege’,” Singh says, looking back. “That’s what Morrissey had, that ability to just continue regardless – Clapton had it too.” He’s referring to Clapton’s drunken on-stage rant in 1976, saying that Britain was “overcrowded”, and that his fans should vote for Enoch Powell. That action prompted the creation of Rock Against Racism (Clapton has since said he feels “shame” about those remarks).

“Clapton then surrounded himself with black people, and now Morrissey’s doing the same,” says Singh, meaning Motown singer Thelma Houston, with whom Morrissey duetted on his recent single, Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know? “It was hard for Cornershop to make our stand then, because we were pulling a lot of disparate things together. We couldn’t just say, look at his badge. Look at his support of Tommy Robinson.”

Last edited by a moderator:
I will paraphrase from my Grandpa's Little Red Book... 'we MUST be Patriots, but ONLY if we're under attack from an aggressor nation'.

Erin go bragh. ?
Trans and migrant-loving Sinn Fein have taken that a bit too much to heart I think.

If not under attack... go woke and give the country you were fighting and dying for for away to third-world foreigners who will do all they can to bite the hand that feeds and turn the place into a savage crime ridden cesspit.

The cries, wallowing and spouting of impotent millennial Brits online - shuddering over Asian gangs and immigration is hysterical.

You don’t work, so someone needs to do it.
You don’t f***, so someone needs to do it.

The off-spring of a nation of dentally-challenged, colonizing shit-eaters are hardly a source of information on reality.

The culling of the English, on English soil is just a long overdue tit-for-tat.

Suck it up bitches. ...or grow a pair and deal with it. Your online “opinion” ain’t worth shit.

No one's online opinion counts for much, & that includes yours. It's just an opinion, not fact, & even then alleged facts aren't guaranteed to be true. The place is awash with fake news & out of context snippets. The whole thing is a pile of shit, leading to places, such as this forum, which is really just a baiting ground for opposing factions. It can be both a source of amusement or frustration, depends on which hat you're wearing at a given time. So, best to read what you want & believe what you want. In short, form your own opinions based on what you believe, & don't allow yourself to be swayed. Trust in your own judgement & f*** everyone else. Life's too short.

Trans and migrant-loving Sinn Fein have taken that a bit too much to heart I think.

If not under attack... go woke give the country you were fighting and dying for for away to third-world foreigners who will do all they can to bite the hand that feeds and turn the place into a savage crime ridden cesspit.

If Morrissey said THAT there wouldn't be a lot I could do to help him.

Apart from the birthrate gibberings, which she probably got from Bloomsbury's own Douglas Murray (funny how Doug's career & Bloomsbury's reputation aren't affected while a couple of Irish people get demonized) even Anne Marie hasn't said anything that bad.

Britain should re-colonize the world as so much of it is still not civilized.

We obviously didn't kick enough arse first time round.
Yes! Why not enlist and give it the old college try, Shitstain? Clearly - YOU'RE the one to lead the charge.

As soon as you’ve wrapped up your war-room conferences on Twitter and Reddit, your pre-battle meal of pizza-pops and toaster-strudel and collected your allowance for sweeping your parents’ stoop, please release your plan.

We’ll be waiting.

If Morrissey said THAT there wouldn't be a lot I could do to help him.

Apart from the birthrate gibberings, which she probably got from Bloomsbury's own Douglas Murray (funny how Doug's career & Bloomsbury's reputation aren't affected while a couple of Irish people get demonized) even Anne Marie hasn't said anything that bad.
I can assure you that Moz is disgusted with the current fast-paced murder of the Ireland that he and his family always knew and felt much romantic devotion for.

It's a changed country. You don't need to read birthrates to know this - you only need to be there and to use your eyes.

If not under attack... go woke and give the country you were fighting and dying for for away to third-world foreigners who will do all they can to bite the hand that feeds and turn the place into a savage crime ridden cesspit.
^This person is what we, in the cognitively sound, educated world call an Igonrant Sack of Shit (ISOS).

Are you talking about the country that went out of their way to sail thousands of miles to rape and pillage those “crime-ridden” cesspits, over several hundred years?

Keep yapping, ISOS. Ain’t no ignorance like the ignorance of an ill-educated, half-wit, self-pitying spawn of scum.

Own your future and your past, bitch.

I can assure you that Moz is disgusted with the current fast-paced murder of the Ireland that he and his family always knew and felt much romantic devotion for.

It's a changed country. You don't need to read birthrates to know this - you only need to be there and to use your eyes.

Has he said this? Because he'll have to have a word with himself if he's gone that far down the rabbit hole.

There's some serious structural issues & it's going to take work, but the 'third world' is not full of terrible people. There's tons of Catholics in it, forbye anything else.

Has he said this? Because he'll have to have a word with himself if he's gone that far down the rabbit hole.

There's some serious structural issues & it's going to take work, but the 'third world' is not full of terrible people. There's tons of Catholics in it, forbye anything else.

It's not about just who's a terrible person........it's about keeping Europe European. Get with the programme Nerak. We're at the tipping point.

Loads of the young men in London carrying machetes are Catholics from Congo, Nigeria, Ghana etc. It's not stopping them killing each other for sport.

Stormzy is a Catholic. He's a self avowed ex-knifeman mugger.

Some cultures are simply violent. And don't say: "Yes, but there are good reasons..." Who cares what the reasons are. If they move into your area there will be violence. That's all that matters. They turn the places they move to into hellholes unlivable for peaceful people..

Last edited:

The only thing you can assure anyone of is that you’re a twat, ISOS. Keep posting. It’s pure gold for anyone who wonders what happened to the people of the British Empire.

They spent ages attacking and raping the planet and then ran away like a bunch of pussies. They had children who they coddled. Children who grew up to be the parents of ^THIS f***ing douche.

Pip-squeak here is more of a f***ing blight on English culture than any amount of Butter Chicken or Halal.

Pip-squeak is ISOS incarnate.

Pip-squeak is gonna save England by complaining on the internet.

Pip-squeak hasn’t a f***ing clue.

The only thing you can assure anyone of is that you’re a twat, ISOS. Keep posting. It’s pure gold for anyone who wonders what happened to the people of the British Empire.

They spent ages attacking and raping the planet and then ran away like a bunch of pussies. They had children who they coddled. Children who grew up to be the parents of ^THIS f***ing douche.

Pip-squeak here is more of a f***ing blight on English culture than any amount of Butter Chicken or Halal.

Would you be a foreigner by any chance?

I just may lead a recolonization of the world Joan of Arc style. Watch out. Re-civilisation awaits.

It's not about just who's a terrible person........it's about keeping Europe European. Get with the programme Nerak. We're at the tipping point.

No we're not!

Europe will always be European. It's a lump of rock with people living on it.

Loads of the young men in London carrying machetes are Catholics from Congo, Nigeria, Ghana etc. It's not stopping them killing each other for sport.

Stormzy is a Catholic. He's a self avowed ex-knifeman mugger.

Get real. Some cultures are simply violent. And don't say: "Yes, but there are good reasons..." Who cares what the reasons are. If they move into your area there will be violence. That's all that matters. They turn the places they move to into hellholes unlivable for peaceful people..

My priest is Nigerian. Our congregation has worshippers from around the world. We're all brothers & sisters in Christ, Pip. That's how it works.

Happy St David's Day.

Yere...........you get the IRA killed the English too, right?
No. She doesn’t get shit. She’s yapping to see her own comments online. She has no concept of history. She has no concept of reality. ...and she’s not here for a grown-up conversation.

I appreciate your post. Historical fact amongst the pap of hysterical tribalist nonsense.

Thanks.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom