"Introducing Morrissey" DVD to be released in September 2014 - TTY

I thought this already was on DVD.

I never liked this one as much as Live in Dallas. Nothing beats Live in Dallas.

But...the Vauxhall stuff sounds SO much better on this than on the record.

I have this on VHS and I manually dubbed to DVD.. Can't wait to own a professional quality version.. minus all the VHS hiss.. Great Setlist on this release.. Vaxhaul & I is my favorite album..

Sure. It was a major Hollywood Motion Picture that sold a shedload of tickets and there's interest in keeping archival reference quality film prints.

I doubt that the release of Introducing Moz on DVD required anyone to go and find the original final cut on 70mm (if ever one was made - I cannot recall any cinema screenings of it, and if it still exists and can be found, which is doubtful) and then to go and rescan the whole thing in HD and clean up any marks on the print. They probably took the highest quality reference print they could find after a cursory look, and said "That'll do". In 1995, no one was interested in the 20th anniversary reissue market, and the idea of keeping original, perfect-quality prints for use two decades later was probably far from their minds. DM's "Devotional" was shot on film, and the DVD release of that is shockingly muddy. Some other stuff from the time only exists these days in VHS quality trade cassettes. It may be it was shot on film twenty years ago, but that's no guarantee anyone could find that film anymore.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Brings back fond memories. I am on the video at the end in the yellow polo shirt at the Sheffield gig, happy days when life was simply fun

Me and Mrs Benny went to the Blackpool gig and we both managed to get on stage during one particular song when the video came out Mrs Benny appears in it but I was cut out mustn't grumble though it was a great gig the band where a shitload better than the present shower of shite as well.

I was in Sheffield. What a night.....

Infact, the band were just fantastic and I remember Morrissey being totally amazing too. As is the City Hall for acoustics....

And if that original film still exists in the archives - which it will do because some other material recorded around that time has been released (with permission?) - then it would be easy to get onto DVD and a little more expensive to get out on BD/Blu-Ray and very much more for the 2000 4kUHD TVs that have been sold to date. Could be slightly wrong on that quantity of UHD TVs for the Netflix and BBC 4k pilots (coupled with a 30mb/sec internet connection as a pre-requisite.)

And that night in Sheffield (come to think of it now) there were around 6 cameras recording everything and everywhere all around the City Hall. The director was outside the City Hall as I was negotiating to purchase a ticket..

There was even a poster up in the bar upstairs, saying that if you didn't want to be filmed, don't go in, stay in the bar - as if !

The sound was fantastic.

Couldn't travel far in those days. I heard the Blackpool
Show was the best show Blackpool had seen since 1977 !

Hazard

Me and Mrs Benny went to the Blackpool gig and we both managed to get on stage during one particular song when the video came out Mrs Benny appears in it but I was cut out mustn't grumble though it was a great gig the band where a shitload better than the present shower of shite as well.

Funnily enough I took my wife to her first Morrissey gig at he Empress Ballroom on the quarry tour. Was an excellent gig.

I have no idea whether or not the original camera negative of 'Introducing Morrissey' exists anywhere at this point; and I don't imagine anyone else around here does either. My only mistake is I'm hoping.

I don't know what EMI's archive policies are like. Some companies are better than others at this kind of thing. I would have suspected that the director James O'Brien would have been the best source for the best source; someone on here said a few years back that he had a shedload of Tim Broad film material, and, judging by the quality of the 1991 tour doc excerpts that appeared in 'The Importance of Being Morrissey', they were all in fine quality.

'Introducing Morrissey' was most likely shot on 16mm film (or Super16mm ~ too much to hope for 35). Even a 2K scan of a 16mm negative downrezzed to 1080p Blu-Ray would produce a superb quality picture (see the 'Moonrise Kingdom' Blu-Ray as an example - shot on 16mm). And this isn't about techno snobbery or geekery or pixel envy, it's about image fidelity. It's about seeing the image, as photographed in 1995, in the most faithful rendering possible. Seeing the movement on stage, the movement on faces, the looks of the wide-eyed welders declaring their undying love, the blitzkreig lightshow of 'National Front Disco', the way the single light traps the singer in 'Moonriver', etc, etc; seeing all these things as truthfully as they can be seen.
And don't get me started on the audio quality...

As has been said, the fact that it was shot on film means the resolution is there. The exact level of resolution in a frame of 35mm film, let alone 16, is endlessly, and tediously, debated, but it's certainly high enough to extract a superb image for Blu-Ray, given a pristine source and the correct transfer protocol.

If all EMI have, or have bothered to look for, is a video Master Tape, then the DVD is going to look pretty ropey, and would look unwatchable on Blu-Ray. The 'Hulmerist' DVD from 10 years back looked like it was sourced from a video master (red Red RED), so I don't hold out much hope that they would bother at this point. (If, ha ha ha, anyone from EMI is reading this - 'Hulmersit' - and the Woverhampton concert (all shot on film) - would look truly beautiful on Blu-Ray!)

But if we're all watching it on our telephones anyway, why bother? May as well go to YouTube.

Funnily enough I took my wife to her first Morrissey gig at he Empress Ballroom on the quarry tour. Was an excellent gig.

It sure was a great gig surface I remember him singing moonriver and it made the hairs stand on the back of my neck, I also remember him coming at the encore with a Blackburn Rovers top on it was great time in his career for all of us unlike the present shite.
All I can say to you Surface is .. . . . . .We'll meet again don't know where don't know when but I know we'll meet again some sunny day . . . . .
P s I've just shown the kids footage of their Mum at the gig on utube and they think she's smoother than snake shit now

Funnily enough I took my wife to her first Morrissey gig at he Empress Ballroom on the quarry tour. Was an excellent gig.[/

Yes I am old but wasn't Blackpool Vauxhall and I ? And Quarry was Blackburn King George's followed up by a second leg at Preston Guild Hall "welcome to our pot stall" and "Happy birthday Jackie !"

Exactly my thoughts. At least it is far better than "Live in Dallas" which is probably the cheapest, worst official dvd ever released by any artist.

Well the dvd relased on your arsenal 20th anniversary is far worst and cheap.

All this BR vs DVD moaning. This was shot in 1995, where DVD didn't even exist and the concept of BR wasn't even in existence. With all the licencing issues, it's an achievement this is being released. Plenty of bigger acts haven't reissued 20 year old VHS tapes on DVD. The quality is what it is, because the film was made when it was. You cannot 'add' definition which never existed. It reminds me of snobs moaning about grain on the Godfather BR's. Get real.

When it was shot and The format the film was released on has absolutely nothing to do with it. As Joe said quite concisely 'Introducing Morrissey' was shot on film as what most films were shot on around that time and still are to this day. As long as it was shot on film great things can be done for it.

The reason the quality is sub par is because it was released on VHS, not because how it was shot back then or whether or not DVDs exited in 1995. The film reel still exists and can now be transferred to a more superior format and with better sound I might add. Reissuing this VHS tape to DVD is just lazy. Scanning the original film footage for blu ray and DVD is what should be done.

Watching a LIVE concert on your television is already a contradiction in terms. Why not make it as good as it can be? Morrissey has been remastering all his music. Why not do the same for his videos.

If 'Introducing Morrissey' was actually shot on a video camera you'd be right but it wasn't, so you're wrong. All anyone had back then was VHS. By your logic there's no point doing anything for any films because that's the best they would ever look? There's no point releasing 'Introducing Morrissey' on Blu Ray because that concert was shot on video tape so very little can be done to make it look better. I only make this point so you get what I am saying, hopefully.

It's got nothing to do with being a tech snob. It has everything to do with common sense. Try it some time or do some research...

Last edited:
Who the hell releases DVDs anymore? This would have looked sweet on Blu-Ray. It was shot on film. I'm assuming that Parlophone UK wouldn't have scanned the original camera negative at 4K, cleaned it up, colour corrected it and then transferred to Blu-Ray. More likely they stuck the VHS in a video/dvd combo machine and hit 'record'.
Better than nowt, I suppose.

that's what I did and it looks and sounds great... if they add other shit to it, maybe.
on a diff topic;
hope he swings back around to FL like 2007, do a few overseas and then back home to us(a)

gotten the remastered Vauxhall&I, but dissapointed about the package , just a cardboard with 2 cd's ,
no extra inlay, as I thought .

'and they say he's mentall' ... no regrets ....

Funnily enough I took my wife to her first Morrissey gig at he Empress Ballroom on the quarry tour. Was an excellent gig.[/

Yes I am old but wasn't Blackpool Vauxhall and I ? And Quarry was Blackburn King George's followed up by a second leg at Preston Guild Hall "welcome to our pot stall" and "Happy birthday Jackie !"

Sorry, my message wasn't clear, I meant I took my wife to her first Morrissey gig at the Empress when he was touring Quarrry. I went to the Sheffield Vauxhall gig some years previous.

These posts have made me realise that at some point you enjoyed Morrissey. What changed Benny? (its a genuine question)

I'm not getting into a debate about the technical qualities of shooting on film witch which I am tediously familiar. Save your breath, it is boring.

I am stating that 20 year old archival concert DVD releases are probably small sellers, and the archive policies may be that the highest quality formats may no longer be accessable either due to rights issues, licencing, or simply not being able to find the original material. They may only be able to source a high quality tape master used for duplication. Don't go in expecting a new HD scan from the original final film negative.

There are a lot of similar bands that have not been able to release material shot on film as they simply cannot find the original film-quality materials. Depeche Mdoe's "Devotional", as I stated before. And there's also an absence of DVD release of any of The Cure's live material shot between 1976 and 2002. New Order live material shot on film ("Tokyo", for example) isn't available in that quality anymore - the japanese DVD release of it is... OK and better than VHS but nowhere near 'regular' DVD quality. Hell, huge amounts of Cure and New Order master tapes have been lost. Don't be surprised if Morrissey master tapes and original quality film are no longer available either, lost in the archives.

I seriously detest technology snobs like you. You probably also warble on about how over-produced records are (ouch, did I say 'record'?, who releases records any more?).

End of.

You got all that because they said they wanted a Blu-Ray release. I think you need to relax. It is an undeniable truth that Blu-Ray is a superior format, for both picture and audio, so we should be asking for the best quality for this release.

Sorry, my message wasn't clear, I meant I took my wife to her first Morrissey gig at the Empress when he was touring Quarrry. I went to the Sheffield Vauxhall gig some years previous.

These posts have made me realise that at some point you enjoyed Morrissey. What changed Benny? (its a genuine question)

Hi Surface
It all changed for me when Morrissey went all whacko jacko constantly banging on about 'the royals this and that', the whole anti Britishness, super fan and official statement typist Julia, Salford macho man bollox, designer shirt tosser, staged stage invasions/blessings, names like the Peckham's, Jamie Horrible, Simon Cowshed, mass crap durge so songs re issued and re packaged xtra crap tracks and tacky badges, supa-crap-band with masses of effects pedals delivering whaling whining overdrive bastardised versions of songs they can't really play, the way he has treated such a loyal money spending set of fans/shareholders with a let them eat cake attitude,constant meat bashing/ stupid crass childish outbursts comparing mass killing of children to K F C etc, Manchester gave me nothing yet Tel Aviv gave me the key to the city, the whole David T saga
and treatment, Rourke bashing, Joyce bashing, Marr bashing any former, running off like a girl instead of a toe to toe with the duck dynasty, etc etc etc.
You really can't make it up there are people on this site right now trying to find out if they are going to see him and his act tonight ! And if he does show you never know if he will make you do the singing with the band and tell you there's no need to applaud it's really easy. Yes I have met him and I have tonnes of rare stuff signed but not anymore I would not piss on him if he was on fire.
He was good in his time and I thank him but I just wish it would have all turned out with grace, class, dignity style.

There is a huge gulf between introducing Morrissey and the present Tosserrey,

Goodnight and thank you Surface I hope I haven't bored you to death, apologies for the late reply

Look, the original film is not lost. But lets hope that its done properly - EMI seem to make a lot of mistakes
so lets hope they do this right.

And that night it was not 16mm (!) And not a Bolex ! And not Video Cameras !
They were pro's - all of them

x.

I have this on VHS and I manually dubbed to DVD.. Can't wait to own a professional quality version.. minus all the VHS hiss.. Great Setlist on this release.. Vaxhaul & I is my favorite album..

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Be prepared for the only difference being a disc and not a tape. The quality may just be exactly the same.

Hi Surface
It all changed for me when Morrissey went all whacko jacko constantly banging on about 'the royals this and that', the whole anti Britishness, super fan and official statement typist Julia, Salford macho man bollox, designer shirt tosser, staged stage invasions/blessings, names like the Peckham's, Jamie Horrible, Simon Cowshed, mass crap durge so songs re issued and re packaged xtra crap tracks and tacky badges, supa-crap-band with masses of effects pedals delivering whaling whining overdrive bastardised versions of songs they can't really play, the way he has treated such a loyal money spending set of fans/shareholders with a let them eat cake attitude,constant meat bashing/ stupid crass childish outbursts comparing mass killing of children to K F C etc, Manchester gave me nothing yet Tel Aviv gave me the key to the city, the whole David T saga
and treatment, Rourke bashing, Joyce bashing, Marr bashing any former, running off like a girl instead of a toe to toe with the duck dynasty, etc etc etc.
You really can't make it up there are people on this site right now trying to find out if they are going to see him and his act tonight ! And if he does show you never know if he will make you do the singing with the band and tell you there's no need to applaud it's really easy. Yes I have met him and I have tonnes of rare stuff signed but not anymore I would not piss on him if he was on fire.
He was good in his time and I thank him but I just wish it would have all turned out with grace, class, dignity style.

There is a huge gulf between introducing Morrissey and the present Tosserrey,

Goodnight and thank you Surface I hope I haven't bored you to death, apologies for the late reply

If you said goodbye to Morrissey what on earth are you doing here? Sounds like a huge loss...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom