Is British radio boycotting the new Morrissey album?

A

Anonymous

Two songs have now been released and barely a single play on any UK radio station despite both songs receiving as positive a critical reception as Spent the Day in Bed (his biggest airplay success since First of the Gang). With his recent albums, Radio 2 have been given an exclusive first play with the songs usually ending up on their A-list. Perhaps another new one will be out before long, and will receive that treatment, but we're starting to run out of weeks...

British radio is irrelevant.

You can leave a track on repeat for 24hrs on Spotify and have an impact on the charts that these stations promote. You don't even have to buy the track.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-13-at-15.16.39-529x576.png

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide....he-directs-fans-to-play-new-single-on-repeat/

The radio stations, knowing that this type of crap goes on, will still play and promote it though. So, f*** the radio and f*** the charts.

I'll still cheer when Morrissey charts though. ;)

BBC Radio Scotland played one of them, another thread has the details.

It's likely that some shunning will be going on for a while yet though. I don't think any star in UK history has had a greater monstering than Moz has (without being jailed or dead).

British radio is irrelevant.

You can leave a track on repeat for 24hrs on Spotify and have an impact on the charts that these stations promote. You don't even have to buy the track.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-13-at-15.16.39-529x576.png

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide....he-directs-fans-to-play-new-single-on-repeat/

The radio stations, knowing that this type of crap goes on, will still play and promote it though. So, f*** the radio and f*** the charts.

I'll still cheer when Morrissey charts though. ;)

What a surprise! Look what Radio 1 have on their A list playlist:

Justin Bieber - Yummy https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3tqPdBWF9yMbTrfjWvfKV8t/radio-1-playlist

Boring answer: BBC radio has playlists, which it's harder to get on with instant grats. Moz stands a better chance in the run-up to the album release.

If a track is not playlisted, it can still get airplay if individual production teams pick it out. Given Morrissey's current rep and having heard the tracks, it's not that much of a surprise no-one is wetting themselves with excitement. But that's not a boycott.

The records have to be "serviced" meaning that people get paid to play them and Morrissey does interviews and so forth. None of that is probably happening. Isn't the general consensus that the contract is over? Morrissey self-sabotages and they probably just don't want to spend the money to get the records played.

With no record company backing the tracks won’t get played. It’s really that simple.
No boycot of course, they A-listed Wedding Bell Blues just last year for weeks.

BBC Radio Scotland played one of them, another thread has the details.

It's likely that some shunning will be going on for a while yet though. I don't think any star in UK history has had a greater monstering than Moz has (without being jailed or dead).
Radio Scotland DJ Billy Sloan has been playing Bobby over his last few shows, most recently Sat 1st Feb, song played in its entirety with Billy saying it's one of his favourites of the year so far...sounds fantastic on the radio!

Radio X, previously Xfm haven’t played either new song yet. They’ve traditionally been big supporters of Moz over the years. They were one of the first stations to play STDIB when it was released 3 years ago and also made it their record of the week. I don’t know if their boycotting him or if they’re just prioritising other new music at the moment. I suppose time will tell.

maybe if enough of us contact some of these radio stations via twitter, email etc and complain, they might change their mind.

I'm able to listen to BBC 6 Music, an "alternative" station which regulars plays the Smiths but Morrissey less often, during work and I have yet to hear any plays of the recent two singles. I don't remember any singles or album tracks being played off California Son either.

Somewhere has been playing it in 'heavy rotation' - Stateside at least.
Not familiar with the chart though:

Regards,
FWD.

Another week's playlist has just been announced on Radio 2 and still no sign of a 'Dog on a String' song, with less than a month to go before the album's release (by the end of this playlist week).
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2qNJsnjYFvbLrK9CZ0CfYfM/radio-2-new-music-playlist
An unprecedented total lack of support in the history of his solo career.
The songs are surely no worse (and many think are better) than the World Peace/California Son/High School singles that R2 were more than happy to playlist, so it suggests a BBC policy to stop playing him, perhaps in relation to him urging people to join a far-right political party.
The only other explanation is that another song is to be released very imminently, R2 have been given an exclusive first play, and will then add it to the playlist.
I'd be very surprised if there were many (or indeed any) songs on the album that are catchier/stronger than Bobby and 'Love Is...' though.

Another week's playlist has just been announced on Radio 2 and still no sign of a 'Dog on a String' song, with less than a month to go before the album's release (by the end of this playlist week).
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2qNJsnjYFvbLrK9CZ0CfYfM/radio-2-new-music-playlist
The songs are surely no worse (and many think are better) than the World Peace/California Son/High School singles that R2 were more than happy to playlist, so it suggests a BBC policy to stop playing him, perhaps in relation to him urging people to join a far-right political party.
The only other explanation is that another song is to be released very imminently, R2 have been given an exclusive first play, and will then add it to the playlist.
I'd be very surprised if there were many (or indeed any) songs on the album that are catchier/stronger than Bobby and 'Love Is...' though.

I don’t know. Didn’t that review say that there were songs in the classic morrissey vein (the negative midland review). I could see him releasing a song like that soon and the above comparison makes me think it might be catchy. That might be a neat idea. To release two songs of new sounds and experimentation and then release a classic sounding single the fan base will love all the more do to comparison. Not saying that’s what’s happening but it’s an interesting thought

BBC supports and protects pedophiles. Morrissey doesn't need them

Morrissey also supports pedophiles. Need I remind you of his comments about Kevin Spacey?

That's ridiculous. He questioned the circumstances. Which is what everyone does when they hear about a scandal.

There's a couple of Morrissey haters (or just the one, you never know) currently in denial about a similar situation, so Solo holding that against him is delusional.

I'm able to listen to BBC 6 Music, an "alternative" station which regulars plays the Smiths but Morrissey less often, during work and I have yet to hear any plays of the recent two singles. I don't remember any singles or album tracks being played off California Son either.

Er, I think Michelle was leaving R6. But I can ask..........

Radio Scotland DJ Billy Sloan played Love Is On Its Way Out last night (15/2/20) and once again gave out a nice bit of info around the song. As mentioned previously in thread he'd been playing Bobby in recent weeks and has been talking about upcoming album release etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom