Is there a 'real reason' why Morrissey and Johnny Marr never worked together again?

T

Trans

What if they did a show or tour and did no interviews at all. I remember Bernard hating the interviews after he and Brett put out the tears record. Make it about nothing other than showing up and displaying how amazing and inspiring the music is by itself. Maybe they need a common cause or enemy to unite against in order to come together again. As to how popular it would be, I’d say it would be very popular here in the us and yes young people still know who morrissey and the smiths are. When I say young I’ll say thirty and up

V

Vegan Cro Spirit .888.

😐
get a grip , :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: trolls,
Moz has 0 need of sucky :guitar:
he should go and beg 'the cribs' for his old job back:oops:
🇭🇷>:hammer:

A

Anonymous

What if they did a show or tour and did no interviews at all. I remember Bernard hating the interviews after he and Brett put out the tears record. Make it about nothing other than showing up and displaying how amazing and inspiring the music is by itself. Maybe they need a common cause or enemy to unite against in order to come together again. As to how popular it would be, I’d say it would be very popular here in the us and yes young people still know who morrissey and the smiths are. When I say young I’ll say thirty and up

Or they could do what Abba are doing, and just talk - for getting on for the life span of their original recording career - about how they've recorded new songs, without actually ever releasing them, and about how they're going to send out creepy holographic 'avatars' of their younger selves, on tour. I wonder what they'd do with Mike Joyce's avatar?

MrShoes

"Ooo, there's goobers on his bod." - Ted Cruz
Subscriber
Or they could do what Abba are doing, and just talk - for getting on for the life span of their original recording career - about how they've recorded new songs, without actually ever releasing them, and about how they're going to send out creepy holographic 'avatars' of their younger selves, on tour. I wonder what they'd do with Mike Joyce's avatar?
I say get Erasure to do an "Abba-esque" version of the Smiths hits. Then line up dates in Miami, WeHo, NYC/Chelsea, Soho. At least they'd get their drinks paid for!

SuedeMoz

While outwardly it's always seemed like a Morrissey/Marr reunion was nearly impossible, it was quite a revelation to learn that they had at least discussed it privately (well, until Johnny mentioned it in his book). The big difference is that Morrissey wasn't viewed as "toxic" and "canceled" in 2008 like he is now. So even if Morrissey was open to it now, I'm not sure Johnny would be nor would festivals be willing to pay big money for it.

There have been a lot of good guesses in this thread about why it didn't happen in 2008... but I think the "Toxic Morrissey" image is the biggest reason it wouldn't happen now. BTW, I'm not saying it's fair or I agree with any of it.

T

Trans

While outwardly it's always seemed like a Morrissey/Marr reunion was nearly impossible, it was quite a revelation to learn that they had at least discussed it privately (well, until Johnny mentioned it in his book). The big difference is that Morrissey wasn't viewed as "toxic" and "canceled" in 2008 like he is now. So even if Morrissey was open to it now, I'm not sure Johnny would be nor would festivals be willing to pay big money for it.

There have been a lot of good guesses in this thread about why it didn't happen in 2008... but I think the "Toxic Morrissey" image is the biggest reason it wouldn't happen now. BTW, I'm not saying it's fair or I agree with any of it.

isn’t he playing a fest and a residency soon and though. If the smiths were reunited would they be headlining cruel world

SuedeMoz

isn’t he playing a fest and a residency soon and though. If the smiths were reunited would they be headlining cruel world
Yes, but I was speaking about the likelihood of Johnny's willingness to be linked with Morrissey in 2021 like he apparently was in 2008.

Morrissey will tour on his own as long as he wants to and has a loyal fanbase - which I believe he does. My understanding is that Cruel World is something that Morrissey is directly involved in, almost like an organizer. I remember someone on the bill saying something to that effect.

Would large festivals like Glastonbury or Coachella - where he's not involved - invite him on the bill again? I don't know, but it seems doubtful due to his current reputation and Cancel Cultural climate.

Last edited:

Catholic

English Blood, Irish Heart
It would be a bit self-serving for Moz though, wouldn't it? "Hey Johnny. I have no label, everyone hates me and thinks I'm a right-wing racist, nobody is buying my stuff anymore. Wanna dig out your guitar and do Glasto?".

More than a bit self-serving! And I hardly believe anything would come from it.

I simply wonder if Morrissey just might (?) have more motivation than he did in 2008 — for reasons like this and, as I say, getting back at cancel "culture".

And IF (big if!) he did have any new-found "self-serving" motivation, along with whatever money there might be in a such a reunion . . .

I don't know. Just curious if this might make any difference at all to the picture in 2008.

Curious . . . any thoughts appreciated.

T

Trans

Yes, but I was speaking about the likelihood of Johnny's willingness to be linked with Morrissey in 2021 like he apparently was in 2008.

Morrissey will tour on his own as long as he wants to and has a loyal fanbase - which I believe he does. My understanding is that Cruel World is something that Morrissey is directly involved in, almost like an organizer. I remember someone on the bill saying something to that effect.

Would large festivals like Glastonbury or Coachella - where he's not involved - invite him on the bill again? I don't know, but it seems doubtful due to his current reputation and Cancel Cultural climate.

I bet Coachella would

Top Bottom