Italian Right to Die Case

MsChievous

Hand Frink
I thought only the overzelous American religious people were crazy. This makes me angry that the state and church are getting involved in what clearly should be a family decision.

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSTRE4AA4MH20081111

I just don't get it - why would people who believe in "heaven" and "afterlife" make such a fuss about letting somebody who has no chance of surviving without machinary die with dignaty? It's just prolonging her suffering and preventing her from "entering heaven".

Is there a Catholic church thread? Should we start one? Would it be too controversial??

Last edited:
I thought only the overzelous American religious people were crazy. This makes me angry that the state and church are getting involved in what clearly should be a family decision.

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSTRE4AA4MH20081111

I just don't get it - why would people who believe in "heaven" and "afterlife" make such a fuss about letting somebody who has no chance of surviving without machinary die with dignaty? It's just prolonging her suffering and preventing her from "entering heaven".

I don't agree with them, but they believe that only God has the right to decide when a life ends. But then your belief system should only apply to you if you choose to believe it. It's when other people are affected that i start to object.

The sooner people are allowed to die with dignity the better.

It's 2008, religion shouldn't have any influence in political decisions. But it's Italy where Rome is so the Catholic influence is even larger.
I think abortion and euthanasia should be a personal decision with no punishment from the state.

this issue personally hits very close to home for me :(
i turned my father's life support off about a week after he suffered a massive cerebral hemorrhage :tears:
he was given little chance for every recovering and once the life support was turned off, he quickly died, but not before seeming to suddenly burst with 'life' for just the briefest of moments :eek:
in that moment i experienced 1st elation in thinking that he would live
followed by not knowing what to do if he merely remained alive, but comatose(which the doctors warned me might happen)
to finally the despair that came with his body's death
but i really felt like his spirit had gone before the body did
and i do not see how keeping people alive with machines is 'God's will' :rolleyes:
however, i am happy i did not have to make some really tough decision regarding a feeding tube or not...

i turned my father's life support off about a week after he suffered a massive cerebral hemorrhage :tears:
he was given little chance for every recovering and once the life support was turned off, he quickly died, but not before seeming to suddenly burst with 'life' for just the briefest of moments :eek:
in that moment i experienced 1st elation in thinking that he would live
followed by not knowing what to do if he merely remained alive, but comatose(which the doctors warned me might happen)
to finally the despair that came with his body's death
but i really felt like his spirit had gone before the body did
and i do not see how keeping people alive with machines is 'God's will' :rolleyes:
however, i am happy i did not have to make some really tough decision regarding a feeding tube or not...

Can I ask how you were allowed to do that? I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I think it was a very brave thing to do, I just didn't know it was legally possible.

Can I ask how you were allowed to do that? I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I think it was a very brave thing to do, I just didn't know it was legally possible.

as the 'next of kin' i had that right under certain conditions set forth by doctor's
and my dad's case fit those, where it was up to me to decide if the machines were to be kept on or turned off
if any doctors had a strenuously objected to the life support removal
or other family members
then i would not have gone through with it
however, people still have the right to question each other's actions

as the 'next of kin' i had that right under certain conditions set forth by doctor's
and my dad's case fit those, where it was up to me to decide if the machines were to be kept on or turned off
if any doctors had a strenuously objected to the life support removal
or other family members
then i would not have gone through with it
however, people still have the right to question each other's actions

I won't question yours. I think it was a very brave thing to do.

I'm so sorry to hear this, Robby. :tears:Very sad indeed but you did the right thing. I don't think anybody would ever want to emotionally burden his/her family for years.
:(

Tags
culture of death
Back
Top Bottom