Jack Lowden on playing Morrissey - uInterview video

They should have included Moz's story as part of The Conjuring 2. The ghost of the old man trying to get Moz to switch channels and watch anything other than Top of The Pops. The ghost makes Morrissey's T-Rex records skip and it only makes Moz love vinyl even more. The ghost whispers to Moz: "Sit upon my knee sonny boy", as he rocks invisibly in the old chair. The cold breaths from Moz and family as the ghost throws tea cups to the floor. That is the final straw for young Moz and he decides to become a music legend to save the family from the stink of rotted socks.

They should have included Moz's story as part of The Conjuring 2. The ghost of the old man trying to get Moz to switch channels and watch anything other than Top of The Pops. The ghost makes Morrissey's T-Rex records skip and it only makes Moz love vinyl even more. The ghost whispers to Moz: "Sit upon my knee sonny boy", as he rocks invisibly in the old chair. The cold breaths from Moz and family as the ghost throws tea cups to the floor. That is the final straw for young Moz and he decides to become a music legend to save the family from the stink of rotted socks.

it's all visable to me:clap:

The "it could almost have been about someone else" has me slightly worried.

Agreed Acton!
What worries me even more is no contact was established with Moz. As both parties stated. Now, that could be not entirety true, but if it is true chances are Moz might respond negatively about the film whenever asked about it.

I think the film could be better if any Moz-influence would be accepted. Cause hey, he was there, at that time, he supplied the sandwiches! Better then a completely fantasised story based on all other sources but without the one it really concerns.
Cheers!

Agreed Acton!
What worries me even more is no contact was established with Moz. As both parties stated. Now, that could be not entirety true, but if it is true chances are Moz might respond negatively about the film whenever asked about it.

I think the film could be better if any Moz-influence would be accepted. Cause hey, he was there, at that time, he supplied the sandwiches! Better then a completely fantasised story based on all other sources but without the one it really concerns.
Cheers!

Yeah but it's not like he himself hasn't written and spoken about that time a bunch so it's unlikely it'll morrissey influence free

I actually think if Morrissey was involved it would be even more fantasised. People find it very hard to be objective about themselves. If Morrissey was involved, the temptation would be to smooth over any negative aspects of his personality, mythologise his own past (which to some extent he's already done with 'Autobiography'), and present the character he wishes to present to the world now, rather than the person he actually was. Authorised biographical projects are usually completely sanitised by the people involved. With Morrissey at the helm, it would be nothing but a vanity project, trying to paint himself in the best light at all times. Without him, there is at least a chance it might give a more rounded view.

With Morrissey at the helm, it would be nothing but a vanity project, trying to paint himself in the best light at all times

One can accuse Moz of many things but certainly not of "painting himself in the best light at all times". Quite the opposite, actually. He doesn't hide his faults.

One can accuse Moz of many things but certainly not of "painting himself in the best light at all times". Quite the opposite, actually. He doesn't hide his faults.

What utter bullshit.

The film would be a complete vanity project if morrissey was involved. Post above yours is 100% accurate. Morrissey is a renowned liar. He only conducts interviews via email because he's so petrified of ever being caught out or sounding thick.

P.S. he hasn't ever had cancer

What utter bullshit.

The film would be a complete vanity project if morrissey was involved. Post above yours is 100% accurate. Morrissey is a renowned liar. He only conducts interviews via email because he's so petrified of ever being caught out or sounding thick.

P.S. he hasn't ever had cancer
Speaking of utter bullshit. ^^^

I actually think if Morrissey was involved it would be even more fantasised. People find it very hard to be objective about themselves. If Morrissey was involved, the temptation would be to smooth over any negative aspects of his personality, mythologise his own past (which to some extent he's already done with 'Autobiography'), and present the character he wishes to present to the world now, rather than the person he actually was. Authorised biographical projects are usually completely sanitised by the people involved. With Morrissey at the helm, it would be nothing but a vanity project, trying to paint himself in the best light at all times. Without him, there is at least a chance it might give a more rounded view.

"People find it very hard to be objective about themselves".
Yes, it it is so much harder to be objective about oneself and so much more easier to be about others.
I agree. Do you think that too, I mean about yourself?

Do you really believe in the meaning of the word " objective " in making a film? Or whatever in art?
I hate to tell you but it is all about being subjective and vanity and self mythology.
The only thing that counts for me, is is interesting? Is the person portrayed interesting, does it have a certain persuasive power?
I'd say with Moz-influence it is and without it isn't.
That's the kind of artist and person that he is.

He doesn't need to be at the helm.
I just keep thinking that if Jack Lowden is such a good actor he might be able to make a better movie if he had been in contact with Moz. And Moz would be flattered and co-operative.
There would still be enough controversy around that movie, cause hey it's Moz. He doesn't care about that.
Now I doubt about the outcome and that more rounded view.

It really is curious they didn't at least try to get M's blessing. There are cases where a biopic production will take "notes" from the person being depicted and decide what stays or goes for the good of the film. But ignoring a living subject completely is odd...

Maybe they felt Autobiography offered enough grist for the mill.

The actor seems earnest but I think they could've gone for someone with at least a measure of dark Irish looks.

Agreed Acton!

Cheers!
R

It really is curious they didn't at least try to get M's blessing. There are cases where a biopic production will take "notes" from the person being depicted and decide what stays or goes for the good of the film. But ignoring a living subject completely is odd...

Maybe they felt Autobiography offered enough grist for the mill.

The actor seems earnest but I think they could've gone for someone with at least a measure of dark Irish looks.

R

Might have just assumed he'd turn it down or worse agree get mad leave and talk poorly about the project creating a bunch of bad press for them. With his reputation I wouldn't write that off as a possibility. As for the actor it's probably to good an opportunity to get an up and coming to whatever degree person who will get attention for there project. Plus he can probably act well

If Morrissey was making this film:
*He'd be portrayed as vegan from birth.
*He'd never have had embarrassing crap hair-do's, and would have sported a Smiths-era quiff from age 10.
*Each line he uttered would be full of Wildean wit, and everyone would love him.
*All references to his homosexual experiences would be cut out.
*Mike Joyce would be portrayed by a chimpanzee.

*He'd never have had embarrassing crap hair-do's, and would have sported a Smiths-era quiff from age 10.
*Each line he uttered would be full of Wildean wit, and everyone would love him.

there's no if

They said that, true, but news of the project first broke in May 2014 while Autobiography review copies were around in early October 2013...

Will give it a chance, in any case.

Autobiography doesn't seem to be their source because they said that the script was finished before the book came out.

I'd rather see an animated show called morrissey in court. He could constantly sue and be sued by other musicians like the cure or echo and the bunnymen and play up feuds by having everyone scheming to get the other party and poke fun at the supposed egos of those involved and the legal system. Kind of a Harvey birdman of the morrissey music world. Joyce would be a behind the scenes orchestrator constantly holding his mother hostage

The story of a bookworm geek that lucked into a band with great musicians is one thing. The real story is how that little dweeb managed to squander his talent and abilities through narcissistic self-indulgence. I think I'll wait for the sequel, where hubris and years of middling output lead to a timely end of career, and self.

...oh wait - the sequel is the one we've been watching for the past 20 years.

Tags
england is mine movie
Back
Top Bottom