James Dean Is Not Dead

terrancestamp

Can anyone help with the different editions to the book? I remember that one version featured his name on the book and one did not. Also, the publisher (what's his face) decided in the 90's to throw out more copies with COA attached. Mine is one bought before that period but I can't remember all the incarnations of the book. Thanks in advance.

Can anyone help with the different editions to the book? I remember that one version featured his name on the book and one did not. Also, the publisher (what's his face) decided in the 90's to throw out more copies with COA attached. Mine is one bought before that period but I can't remember all the incarnations of the book. Thanks in advance.

the one without “by Morrissey” on the front is a first edition.

1st edition
first published by Babylon Books in 1983
ISBN: 0 907 188 06 0
A "rather thick pamphlet" as Morrissey himself puts it, nothing new here, but Dean's obsession with death is clearly exposed.
This is the first edition, published before the Smiths became famous.

2nd edition
published by Babylon Books around 1984
This is the second edition with Morrissey's name on the cover, repressed after the Smiths had become big in England.

3rd edition
Published by Babylon Books around 1997
This is the third edition limited to 1000 copies.
Each copy comes with a certificate of authenticity signed by John Muir, the owner of Babylon Books.

Info: PJLM.
Regards,
FWD.

duh...Passions of course would have the info. Thanks for putting it in this thread! Does anyone know how to tell the 1st and 2nd editions apart?

Confused now, I only thought there was two, 1st with no name & 2nd with ‘by Morrissey’

...so which edition is this? By Morrissey on front and distributied by IMP on the back?
09B27BAF-9573-4130-BD63-DB9620181E73.jpeg
17752D18-16BF-42AF-84E1-1D3FF5E73588.jpeg

@ordinaryboy86
I'm assuming the distributed by = it had more than one distributor as opposed to published by.
I'd be keen for anyone who has this version to photograph/scan any IMP information visible.
That should help date it to everyone's satisfaction.
Eil.com have sold that version as "second edition" and state '84.
The ones I have in storage are all Babylon minus the distributor on the back - so I'd be keen to see one of these.
The one you show as 1st edition is what I understand to be 1st edition.
Regards,
FWD.

857CFC0F-8A27-43E9-9C80-E84FA1F91B07.jpeg
Front
@ordinaryboy86
I'm assuming the distributed by = it had more than one distributor as opposed to published by.
I'd be keen for anyone who has this version to photograph/scan any IMP information visible.
That should help date it to everyone's satisfaction.
Eil.com have sold that version as "second edition" and state '84.
The ones I have in storage are all Babylon minus the distributor on the back - so I'd be keen to see one of these.
The one you show as 1st edition is what I understand to be 1st edition.
Regards,
FWD.

ahh so that’s the first? No name, no barcode. Got ya. Did think the first had no name. But the barcode threw me off, looked out of place.

so 1st is: no “by moz” & no barcode.

2nd. “By Moz” + IMP on back

3rd: no name, with barcode.

...or is my head melted again? @Famous when dead clear this up if you would, which is which? :thumb:

ahh so that’s the first? No name, no barcode. Got ya. Did think the first had no name. But the barcode threw me off, looked out of place.

so 1st is: no “by moz” & no barcode.

2nd. “By Moz” + IMP on back

3rd: no name, with barcode.
I didn't even notice the barcode - I'm awake now :).
Yes, this appears correct.
I'd still expect the mention of Babylon Books in the 2nd edition too.
Thank you @Alexi for yet another reason to avoid my storage unit.
If anyone has the 2nd edition - all internal publishing information would be gratefully received.
Regards,
FWD.

Back
Top Bottom