James Murphy from LCD Soundsystem mentions Morrissey in interview

James Murphy Knows He's Not Getting Any Younger - Noisey / VICE

Does how Morrissey has become affect your enjoyment of his music?

I met Morrissey once, you know. I interviewed him for a magazine in 2001. He was exactly as you'd imagine: standoffish, prickly, fussy, but OK really. He was terrifying to me because I'd been such a big fan. I finished his autobiography which is almost unreadable. I didn't understand a lot of the background to him being decried as a racist or a xenophobe. He denies it but also doesn't make that many compelling arguments for you to give him a break on it either. But his relationship with the UK music press feels a bit witch-hunty to me. I just got hatcheted recently by somebody who wilfully took stuff that I said out of context just so that they had a story—and you can smell it on these guys—so I can imagine most journalists being out to throttle him. Is he insufferable? Yes, and he's bad at hiding it. But there are a lot of really insufferable people we've allowed to get away with it because they're really good at hiding it. And I think I'd sooner know he was insufferable and made really f***ing great music and brilliant lyrics that both make you want to cry and laugh. It's a tough game, man. That Smiths shit is hard to f*** with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big LCD fan - and an English literature university student, no less... but I found Autobiography a bit challenging and eventually, I just gave up on it. I found it too angry and ranty for a book by an artist whose initial appeal for me, lay in his wry wit and lyrical cunning... But everyone's entitled to their opinion of it, crucially :thumb:

Content wise and in terms of emotional tone of substance I’ll grant you could turn some off but there are so many great superbly written sentences and quotes from that book. One of which I see now glancing over them could well define spent the day in bed. I’ll also say that while it was at times a grumpy read there are still some really funny lines in there

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/26334398-autobiography

“I can see through the human heart, and I know that life’s biggest prize is to have the day before you as yours alone to do with as you wish.”
Morrissey, Autobiography

There were a few revelations in Morrissey's Autobiography, but for the most part it came off as a glaringly pretentious. Morrissey seems more interested in trying to engage in some kind of creative writing challenge, than in communicating directly to the reader. It's just more dressed up, floral musings that give little away, and seem unnecessarily coy. It's very similar to the work of a first year creative writing student: All style, no substance.

One of the more bizarre and humorous anecdotes was Morrissey's description of believing that he was being kidnapped by a cab driver in Mexico. He forced the driver to stop the car, and let him out in the middle of nowhere. He then described how his manager seemed unmoved by the whole ordeal. He appears to have been oblivious to the fact that she didn't believe that they were being kidnapped, and probably thought Morrissey was insane, and had stranded them on the side of the road.

In an online article, the driving company revealed that the driver had simply become lost.

He takes a series of digs at Alain Whyte. Alain Whyte, through his lawyer, requested that his name should remain on all Morrissey's future recordings, even though he was no longer in the band. Again, this may be Morrissey's interpretation of a legitimate publishing dispute, but that's how he framed it.

He claimed that Alain threatened to write a memoir about his time in the band.

He claimed that Alain, and Boz's rivalry was so contentious that it made rehearsals incredibly tense.

He claimed that Alain would go to sleep with his hair gelled up, which he thought was egotistical (Really Morrissey?); although it's really just an old pompadour hair training strategy.

He claimed that once, while having a conversation with Alain, Alain turned to him, and wondered what the phrase "Rome wasn't built in a day" actually means? Morrissey told him that Rome was, in fact, built in a day. Alain then said, "Really?" He seems to go out of his way to paint Alain as an airhead.

He never mentioned Vinny Reilly, or Tim Booth. Odd. He goes into little detail about things that might be interesting, like the songwriting process. Morrissey has never spoken about his craft, and seems uninterested in explaining how the sausage was made.

I’ve been heard the stories about Alain and Boz’s relationship being pretty rocky, and even about massive blowouts in public, but both have been pretty tight lipped about it all. They are friends in Facebook, not that that means much, but what happened to Spencer Cobrin? Seems he no longer has a Facebook acct.?

The funny thing with James Murphy is that he is a big fan of every important band /singer of the last 50 years :)

'Did we really need 30+% of the book to focus on his bitterness over that?
'

yes, and so did he.

'Could have been 5-8 pages and done with it.'

No. Because, it seems that M needed to get it off his chest in that way. So, be honest, does anyone really want a 'Sorrow Will Come In The End' part - 2? part 3? or 4?5?!'

What I'm saying is, if he didn't let it all out in his book then the burden of the injustice done to him would end up being songs on the next 5 albums ! :lbf:
So we should really be glad for that section of his book. :)

Agreed. Although, to be honest, the whole court case was a witch hunt against Morrissey. It was a real miscarriage of justice. It was also disgusting that the words published after that case did not tell the truth (at all.)

Morrissey was basically stabbed in the back by the Lawnmower Man and ex-members as we know. Albeit three of them have been able to move on. And did. Leaving just the Lawnmower Man on his own....

That's the ironic part, actually, about this whole sorry tale. Because the Lawnmower Man's case was funded totally by The State. Considering everything that The Smith's did, working hard against The UK Government/UK Establishment, for years, that jerk then squandered all 10% of his $millions. And then went back to The State for more. And back to The State for more again. Still leaving a bad taste in the mouth today. Forgive Someone? NEVER x

Hazard.

Agreed. Although, to be honest, the whole court case was a witch hunt against Morrissey. It was a real miscarriage of justice. It was also disgusting that the words published after that case did not tell the truth (at all.)

Morrissey was basically stabbed in the back by the Lawnmower Man and ex-members as we know. Albeit three of them have been able to move on. And did. Leaving just the Lawnmower Man on his own....

That's the ironic part, actually, about this whole sorry tale. Because the Lawnmower Man's case was funded totally by The State. Considering everything that The Smith's did, working hard against The UK Government/UK Establishment, for years, that jerk then squandered all 10% of his $millions. And then went back to The State for more. And back to The State for more again. Still leaving a bad taste in the mouth today. Forgive Someone? NEVER x

Hazard.

Joyce's lawyers are the ones making these moves. It's their job.

If Morrissey had not avoided the judgment, and had paid what was ruled, he would have saved himself a lot of money, and would have been able to retire comfortably long ago.

He didn't, and now he has to tour to make up for it. Years back, during the whole touring debacle, he even grumbled on stage one night, "I can't believe I do this for a living."

Meanwhile Johnny Marr is living life to its fullest, and is universally loved. His autobiography is informing, and and best of all, it's actually readable.

Maybe 'autobiography' should've been put between quotiation marks

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom